SkatePerception
Sign in to follow this  
tomicardenas

''movie Has Stopped Recording'' Message

Hi guys, i know this is something that has been talked about, but my problem is that since i installed magic lantern, the message is popping up A LOT, i know its the buffer thing, but i dont know if its because from magic lantern, or something else, before installing it happened, like once or twice in every start up, and then it didnt pop up, i have a t3i, with a sandisk 45mbps class 10 sd card, i always format the sd card before using it, that helped a lot before installing ML, but what can i do now? its driving me nuts, i cant film like this, its frustrating when someone lands a trick and the message popped up midline without noticing haha, any tip? thanks!

you might have either cbr or qscale set to record at a higher bitrate than the default firmware allows. set it to cbr at 1x for the default recording bit rate

Is it possible that you were sold a counterfeit card that isn't as high of a record rate as it should have?

i dont think so, i bought it off from b&h store, in worst case, is there any way to measure card speeds? or something to prove that the card is legit?

i dont think so, i bought it off from b&h store, in worst case, is there any way to measure card speeds? or something to prove that the card is legit?

I think if you try to write a big file (on Windows at least) it will show you the write speed fluctuating as it transfers the file. Another dead giveaway would be if you try to put 2/3 of the cards storage worth of files and some get corrupted. If it's from bh it's most likely legit though, it's eBay and sometimes Amazon that can be unreliable. If it ends up being the card, invest in a Sandisk extreme pro, best cards I've used and you won't ever need anything faster.

i just figured out i bought it at bestbuy, so im guessing that the card is legit, right? if my card is legit, i dont know how could it be that it cant handle the cam, im filming at 720 60fps, im guessing magic lantern has to do something with this error popping up a lot recently, but before i installed ML it just happened the first or second clips and then it didnt happen, its weird... i though that sandisk extreme class 10 45mbps was enough for this cam footy, :S , my goal is to get rid of the message with or without ML, i need to use this card for now, i live in Argentina and cards are really expensive... Thanks

Aaaaaaand, i just noticed my card is the ultra one, which is the 30mbps... jmmm, isnt it still enough for t3i?

Yeah that would make sense. I recommend extreme pros by Sandisk, make sure to order them from b and h photo so you don't get screwed

Aaaaaaand, i just noticed my card is the ultra one, which is the 30mbps... jmmm, isnt it still enough for t3i?

I have a 30mbps and a 45mbps (both sandisk) and the 30mbps one gives me that error a lot. Since you're stuck with that card, just turn down the CBR a little. You'll lose some resolution, but it'll let you actually record.

I have a 30mbps and a 45mbps (both sandisk) and the 30mbps one gives me that error a lot. Since you're stuck with that card, just turn down the CBR a little. You'll lose some resolution, but it'll let you actually record.

will it kill the quality? or not that much? how much should i turn it down? i have no idea, thanks!

will it kill the quality? or not that much? how much should i turn it down? i have no idea, thanks!

I haven't personally turned it down, but I have seen some youtube videos comparing the different levels and the lower ones do sacrifice detail and quality. If you only go a little under (something like 0.8x) it might not make a huge difference.

I haven't personally turned it down, but I have seen some youtube videos comparing the different levels and the lower ones do sacrifice detail and quality. If you only go a little under (something like 0.8x) it might not make a huge difference.

how do i get to those videos? i dont know what to look for haha, if you find one please post it, thanks!

nevermind guys, thanks, a friend is coming from the us and he will bring me the extreme pro 32gb 95mbps one, i know that is a lot of speed and i dont even know if t3i can handle that much speed, but it was 20 bucks,and it will be handy for next cams...

nevermind guys, thanks, a friend is coming from the us and he will bring me the extreme pro 32gb 95mbps one, i know that is a lot of speed and i dont even know if t3i can handle that much speed, but it was 20 bucks,and it will be handy for next cams...

Yeah there won't be any issues with that card, no such thing as a card being too fast for the camera.

Yeah there won't be any issues with that card, no such thing as a card being too fast for the camera.

what i meant is that maybe the t3i wont take advantage of the 95mbps but less, i hope i will film without struggling again haahha, thanks for the help

what i meant is that maybe the t3i wont take advantage of the 95mbps but less, i hope i will film without struggling again haahha, thanks for the help

Well you wouldn't want it to take advantage fully of that wrote speed because the closer it is, the higher chance that if you film something with a lot of detail it will fail. Learned this the hard way with gh2 hacks that claimed to only take a certain amount of speed but would randomly peak while filming and ruin a clip.