SkatePerception
Sign in to follow this  
icanseeyoursocks

Downsides To Vx's?

I've got a vx1000 on the way, and obviously people love to talk them up seeing that bad talking a vx is practically blasphemy, but I was just wondering what some downsides I might expect are. Any little frustrating problems you guys have come across? Major problems? Anything I should look out for? I could just look it up, but I'd rather hear it from the sources. Thanks homies!

Head glitching will ruin your whole week

They can be more fragile than other cameras

Tapes cost a fair amount of money because you can't reuse them

Capturing tapes takes a decent amount of time

Head glitching will ruin your whole week

They can be more fragile than other cameras

Tapes cost a fair amount of money because you can't reuse them

I know all about the heads from my other filmer friends, but as far as tapes go, what would you recommend?

I know all about the heads from my other filmer friends, but as far as tapes go, what would you recommend?

Whatever who you bought it from used

A lot of people use Sony premiums but I used maxell because I got mine with like 10 hours and maxells are at every store near me

also you may want a capture cam, but i heard that it does just as much damage putting the tape into the capture cam and back into your vx as dirt inside the capture cam gets on the tape and back into the vx. For me i have to use a capture cam because my playback isn't working.

also you may want a capture cam, but i heard that it does just as much damage putting the tape into the capture cam and back into your vx as dirt inside the capture cam gets on the tape and back into the vx. For me i have to use a capture cam because my playback isn't working.

This is more of a necessity with vx1's than 2's 21's and dvx's because they are much newer and the heads can take more abuse before needing servicing

I don't know about the VX1000, but my VX2000 battery lasts forever. I usually get 600-650 minutes on a full charge.

I don't know about the VX1000, but my VX2000 battery lasts forever. I usually get 600-650 minutes on a full charge.

1's have a battery compartment that can't fit the big batteries, kinda sucks but it's not a big deal to carry a few.

depending if you buy knock off batteries like me. They kinda last awhile. But just make sure you have about 5-6

Nobody has stated the obvious fact that they're about 20 years old and like any electronic device with moving parts, they have a finite life. There are guys who still repair them but seeing as how they're so old, you won't really know how many issues you'll run into down the road until you actually run into them. Worn out heads, broken circuit boards, screws coming loose and shorting things out inside, buttons wearing out and not working, etc. People still love the picture they put out but they certainly are one of the least reliable options you have.

Nobody has stated the obvious fact that they're about 20 years old and like any electronic device with moving parts, they have a finite life. There are guys who still repair them but seeing as how they're so old, you won't really know how many issues you'll run into down the road until you actually run into them. Worn out heads, broken circuit boards, screws coming loose and shorting things out inside, buttons wearing out and not working, etc. People still love the picture they put out but they certainly are one of the least reliable options you have.

Honestly I'm really surprised that people are still willing to deal with all of the repairs. I feel like the smartest thing to do is get an a7s and a Rokinon. In apsc mode it's a bit wider than on canon with no vig, but in full frame you can crop to 4:3 and film 1080/60p and then do some work in post to make it look like vx1 footy and add mk1 vig. Sure it might be more expensive at first but you'll save money in the long run on tapes, devastating lens hits, and repairs. Even thought the day of the vx1 might be over its legacy still is living on with videos like vx4000 and the like that are cropping to get that nostalgic feel.

there is not one single downside to fiming with a vx. FACT.

TRUE

If you compare it to filming with a DSLR setup, you have all these different parts you have to put together before you can start filming. The VX is just straight out of the bag ready to go.

MiniDV tapes are also the best back-up of all your footage imaginable. If you compare that to filming on SD cards where you have to clear the card every time.

The steady-shot build in the VX is really good.

Of course the fisheye option and the sound it automatically records are unbeatable.

And glitches, which can be the only downside to the VX, all depends on the state of your VX. I've been filming with a VX for 6 years now and haven't had any glitch problems ever.

One downside: buying tapes, kinda hard to come by for a good price nowadays.

One downside: buying tapes, kinda hard to come by for a good price nowadays.

Amazon has 10 Sony Premiums for $30 shipped. Seems like a pretty good deal to me.

Amazon has 10 Sony Premiums for $30 shipped. Seems like a pretty good deal to me.

That's true but since I live in The Netherlands, Amazon isn't an option for just buying tapes.

So for me that's a down side, a good price is hard to find here.