SkatePerception
myleswaughman@gmail.com

Hpx-170 Viewfinder Question

I've found a cheap HPX-170 online and am considering buying it, although the reason it's so cheap is because it's LCD screen is busted. So I was thinking of getting it anyway and shooting using the viewfinder only but I was wondering if anyone on here shoots with an HPX170 and could tell me what the viewfinders on these things are like. My main worry is potential troubles with focusing. If anyone has any advice regarding this i'd highly appreciate it.

Thanks!

Well it mostly depends on how cheap your getting the HPX for. To my knowledge the viewfinder is the same as the hvx-200a model and I film with that camera regularly. I use the viewfinder 90% of the time. So you can defiantly get the job done without an lcd. The biggest bonus to having a lcd screen is for capturing.

I do however wish I owned an HPX170 because it is defiantly an upgrade to the hvx. I bit sharper and better in low light. It also has a longer lens. And don't forget it has the layout of the best Panasonic model ever built. The dvx.....

Use to own an hpx and the only time I would use the lcd was playback (as with another camera). You will be better off focusing through the VF. If you are worried and feel you need an lcd to assist you, just pick up an external monitor with the money you're saving. You can get a decent one anywhere between $100-$200, depending on your preferences.

None of my friends use the lcd screen to film. I really don't think anyone does. Just buy it

edit. 800th

None of my friends use the lcd screen to film. I really don't think anyone does. Just buy it

edit. 800th

Yeah I didn't think it would be to big of a deal, I just wanted to make sure of it. Thanks for all your responses dudes, i'm going to go for it! ✌

• Like 1

I've been running an hpx with broken lcd for couple years now. the only times i could see benefitting from one is when people ask to see the footage and if you are using a tripod for a shot. which a cheap external monitor, as stated, would fix if you feel the need.

how cheap btw?

I've been running an hpx with broken lcd for couple years now. the only times i could see benefitting from one is when people ask to see the footage and if you are using a tripod for a shot. which a cheap external monitor, as stated, would fix if you feel the need.

how cheap btw?

I got it for $850 (USD) on eBay. I guess it was a pretty good deal considering most of the HPX's I found were closer to $1300.