SkatePerception

What's up guys! I've been shooting a lot of skateboarding photos lately instead of filmiing and i've been using a neewer high speed sync external flash with triggers. sometimes the light can be too harsh and you cannot see the effect that the flash has, even with brand new or charged batteries. So basically i'm looking for anything affordable when it comes to Strobes. I've never used strobes before so i don't really know what i'm supposed to be using with it when it comes to batteries and using it outside and all that. if anyone has any suggestions on what i can go look at that'd be rad and i'd appreciate it!

i'll have some links to something i'm looking at but i'm not 100% sure if they're gonna do the job. I'll also post a link to my flickr so you can see the type of photos i wanna be shooting

http://ebay.to/21Y7xiL

flickr.com/ericdanielphoto

thank you in advance yall!

theres no information about the duration and you'd probably have a hard time getting modifiers and accessories for it. a cheap option (i have two) are the alien bee B400 - http://www.paulcbuff.com/b400.php

they're the lowest power out of all of the alien bees but have the fastest duration, and at full power! a lot of other flashes/strobes will have their fastest duration at their lowest setting.

speed lights also work good too because of their size, i would definitely recommend picking up one by the brand of your camera because you can use it on top of the camera or as fill.

if you want to shoot outdoors with the alien bee, you'll need one of these - http://www.paulcbuff.com/vm120.php

you can potentially connect two flashes to it which i have done before. you have to deal with cords in the shots that you need to clone out later, unless you're really sneaky. but it is recommended that you buy one for each flash. if you have an outlet nearby and a lot of extension cord, it can work too lol.

a step up from the alien bees are the einsteing by paul c buff. they both share the same mount so when you upgrade you will be able to use the same modifiers. there are tonnes of adapters for alien bee stuff. i have an elinchrom octobox and a mola beauty dish with adapters made by the brands themselves.

i've found even being the lowest power outage, for studio work, if you have the lights close enough they're definitely enough power. you only need 640ws if you are using massive modifiers, shooting cars or anything big/need a lot of space. or if you're shooting really low ISO film like 20.

hope this helps! and always check local kijiji/craigslist and eBay for used gear. i bought mine two for the price of one.

Im interested to learnm and follow this discussion since I maybe move from speedlight to strobe next year.

Any max sync info ? HSS ?

Any trigger spec info ? TTL ?

Portable power option ( forget plug in the wall ) ?

Im interested to learnm and follow this discussion since I maybe move from speedlight to strobe next year.

Any max sync info ? HSS ?

Any trigger spec info ? TTL ?

Portable power option ( forget plug in the wall ) ?

i put what you could use with the alien bees up there (vagabond mini). i get a faster sync speed using a pocket wizard tt5 on my cam and have the settings that you access using the usb and pocket wizard app. i have pocket wizard plus II's on the strobes but tt1's are good too. if you have a lot of money, the ultimate flashes are the profoto b1's with the air remote. they have built in rechargeable batteries (nothing else has this) and HSS up to 1/8000th.

So nothing work with the yungo chinese flash trigger ... ?

pocket wizard are for rich kids !

if they can do hss/hypersync and reliably trigger for you then sure why not. if you want something that going to last you for a long time why not save up and invest into a trusted system. I've learned from buying crap and then having it lose its value and then eventually having to buy new stuff anyway. just save up and get out and shoot, theres a lot more things out there that are going to teach you about shooting than new gear.

"flash is too harsh" and "cannot see effect of flash"

hmmm

whats the problem?

if they can do hss/hypersync and reliably trigger for you then sure why not. if you want something that going to last you for a long time why not save up and invest into a trusted system. I've learned from buying crap and then having it lose its value and then eventually having to buy new stuff anyway. just save up and get out and shoot, theres a lot more things out there that are going to teach you about shooting than new gear.

These chinese trigger are reliable and yes they do HSS, they also survived a direct hit from a snowboard + flying 20 feet in the air to concrete smash, there is just a line between buying the branded gear for the name vs the quality. The tech involved in the trigger are really basic, its not rocketscience like making a 20 elements zoom lens.

The question was more, will the chinese will be able to trigger them or pocketwizard use special channel/tech

http://www.amazon.ca/Photoys-YN-622C-TX-Transmitter-Reciever-Controller/dp/B00MVII8XU/ref=sr_1_2?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1450808722&sr=1-2&keywords=Photoys+YONGNUO+YN-622

theres no information about the duration and you'd probably have a hard time getting modifiers and accessories for it. a cheap option (i have two) are the alien bee B400 - http://www.paulcbuff.com/b400.php

they're the lowest power out of all of the alien bees but have the fastest duration, and at full power! a lot of other flashes/strobes will have their fastest duration at their lowest setting.

speed lights also work good too because of their size, i would definitely recommend picking up one by the brand of your camera because you can use it on top of the camera or as fill.

if you want to shoot outdoors with the alien bee, you'll need one of these - http://www.paulcbuff.com/vm120.php

you can potentially connect two flashes to it which i have done before. you have to deal with cords in the shots that you need to clone out later, unless you're really sneaky. but it is recommended that you buy one for each flash. if you have an outlet nearby and a lot of extension cord, it can work too lol.

a step up from the alien bees are the einsteing by paul c buff. they both share the same mount so when you upgrade you will be able to use the same modifiers. there are tonnes of adapters for alien bee stuff. i have an elinchrom octobox and a mola beauty dish with adapters made by the brands themselves.

i've found even being the lowest power outage, for studio work, if you have the lights close enough they're definitely enough power. you only need 640ws if you are using massive modifiers, shooting cars or anything big/need a lot of space. or if you're shooting really low ISO film like 20.

hope this helps! and always check local kijiji/craigslist and eBay for used gear. i bought mine two for the price of one.

Thanks for giving me hella info! haha i honestly have no idea when it comes to strobes and just sounds ectremely complicated. I shoot a lot of streetwear and portraits more than skateboarding, and i've been out the skate game a bit when it comes to shooting photos. I've used my external flash which is a Neewer that is capable of using HSS with my Neewer triggers. Never knew about flash durations, but it makes a lot of sense since you've explained a lot lol. i'd rather not use any corded stuff as i'm always on the go, plus i have a pt time job so mad expensive stuff won't work for me :/ will definitely look into all this stuff you sent my way for sure ! :D

Thanks for giving me hella info! haha i honestly have no idea when it comes to strobes and just sounds ectremely complicated. I shoot a lot of streetwear and portraits more than skateboarding, and i've been out the skate game a bit when it comes to shooting photos. I've used my external flash which is a Neewer that is capable of using HSS with my Neewer triggers. Never knew about flash durations, but it makes a lot of sense since you've explained a lot lol. i'd rather not use any corded stuff as i'm always on the go, plus i have a pt time job so mad expensive stuff won't work for me :/ will definitely look into all this stuff you sent my way for sure ! :D

the only non corded strobes out there other than speed lights are the profoto b1s. they have battery packs in the strobe.

don't know much about these but you should look into these as well.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/984582-REG/bolt_vb_11_bare_bulb_flash.html

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1019097-REG/bolt_vb_22_bare_bulb_flash.html

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/754953-REG/Quantum_Instruments_QF8CB_Qflash_TRIO_QF8_Shoe.html

the bolt is the godox ad360, godox sells them rebranded to any company that wants them.

"flash is too harsh" and "cannot see effect of flash"

hmmm

whats the problem?

well the sunlight is whats too harsh, and my external flash wasnt doing the damage i thought it would