SkatePerception
Sign in to follow this  
Chase Boyer

Tips For Shooting Meeting And Evenrs

So my homeowners association contacted me asking if I could help them with shooting the HOA meetings to upload them onto YouTube for the people that aren't able to attend, and I said sure. I have never done anything like this before, so I told them I'd to THIS first one for free so I know if I am able to pull it off and to get experience and if they even like what they see or if it works well, I'll figure a price out for the others.

Anyone with experience in event or meeting coverage have any tips to help me out? Or anything I need to be pickin up for this kinda thing?

If anyone's curious to my setup for this its a Canon t3i with a Røde VideomicGo (I will probably get a 50ft 3.5mm cable and run the mic closer for better audio if there is a podium), Canon PowerShot SX40 as backup if I need to cut to another shot for any reason, battery grip, 160 led light if I need it, tripod, 32 gb and 16 gb sd cards, 50mm f/1.8 STM and a tele if I need it

Also not sure if there's a Q&A forum or not, but if there is how would you mic that up? Just have the PowerShot pointed towards whoever speaking and pull is audio? It has good quality audio.

Ask them about the main topics of discussion during the meeting, film in tighter shots generally, seeing people talk in a wide shot of bland scenery is VERY boring. I don't think you should worry about lighting. Focus on the small things, hand gestures, nice smiles. Try to divide every part of the event your filming into separate sequences and film each with some sort of climax, even if its the simples thing. Try to get over the shoulder shots, they make the simplest of dialogue situations seem more intense or interesting.

They're making it sound like they want a CSPAN style production. So it'll be pretty hard to make it interesting

They're making it sound like they want a CSPAN style production. So it'll be pretty hard to make it interesting

Hence the close ups/tight shots. Obviously your gonna have to have a majority of boring lecture type footage as a master shot, but if you can do a couple quick cuts closing in on the speaker and several of the listeners or contributors it'll add some dynamic to it at least.