SkatePerception

How do you get such a smooth HD/60fps with the VX1000 like in the new transworld video?

Any good AE/premiere tutorials?

Thanks.

Do you mean Substance? That one was nothing special, I've seen better quality Vx footage. First off, shutter speed up to 180-250, preferably 180. Go to CP turn the sharpness up all the way, and then export it right, also dependent of how you want the footage stretched or compressed.

yep i mean substance.

ive also seen some other vx clips on youtube or vimeo which looked similiar to the transworld video. (cant find any example right now) the "second parts" of stearns and funkhouser they got up at the tranworld site now look like shit with the transworld player. but when the had the online premiere of the funkhouser part on vimeo the picture looked way smoother than normal VX footage. they must have something done with it in post.

i usually got my shutter at 120. im gonna give it a try at 180. sharpness is already at the peak in the CPs.

what do you mean with stretched? stretched to 16:9? i dont want that. i wanna keep it to 4:3 but have a "smoother" (more HD like) picture.

you have to make your timeline 960x720 at 60fps, then export as the same. stretch the footage to fit and there you go!

yea unfortunately stretching it makes it look like HD, since HD is 16x9, SD is 4:3. Also depending what you are watching it on, when something is exported to a dvd and watched on a real screen it usually looks better

stretching footage makes all the obstacles look lower and the skaters look like midgets.

960x720 still keeps the 4:3 aspect ratio but since youtube's compression for 480p is way lower than the hd settings, if you compress for 720 its almost like watching the raw clips.

not the best example, but here's one of my clips.

• Like 3

stretching footage makes all the obstacles look lower and the skaters look like midgets.

if you get the right angles you can make anything look big, and I hate having the black bars next to my footage so I prefer stretched

i don't get why anyone would insist on shooting vx but then ruin it by stretching / fucking with the framerate etc. surely the appeal of vx is the fact it isn't widescreen? if you don't like the black bars then buy an HD camera

edit - stretched midget skating footage is amazing. if you're filming an edit of all midgets then stick with it

• Like 2

I always wondered why one of my friends edits looked all stretched and the guy skating in it looked fat. It must have been what has been done above. 

always wondered how to make it a little larger then 4x3. Not quite stretched but in the middle.

Are none of you reading the replies at all?? 

On 4/15/2016 at 6:58 AM, nomadskate said:

960x720 still keeps the 4:3 aspect ratio but since youtube's compression for 480p is way lower than the hd settings, if you compress for 720 its almost like watching the raw clips.

not the best example, but here's one of my clips.

• Thanks 2

16 hours ago, ParkerWGB said:

always wondered how to make it a little larger then 4x3. Not quite stretched but in the middle.

Youre probably thinking of 720x480 instead of 640x480. This is what the camera records before it is squeezed by the pixel aspect ratio (D1/DV NTSC 0.9091) then you would make your timeline 1080x720 or 1620x1080. I still like the 4:3 ratio better but whatever floats your boat.

Screen_Shot_2018_02_14_at_4_05_18_PM.png

Screen_Shot_2018_02_14_at_4_05_23_PM.png

• Like 1

From what I understood, if you export at 640*480 your footage will be cropped if you convert to PAR 1:1.

I export at 656*480 to keep the real ratio of the video.

Exporting to 1080p 50 or 60fps is good for YouTube, because it allows you to upload a video with a much higher bitrate than in 480p, so the quality when played on the YouTube player will be way better.

4 hours ago, phineas said:

From what I understood, if you export at 640*480 your footage will be cropped if you convert to PAR 1:1.

I export at 656*480 to keep the real ratio of the video.

Exporting to 1080p 50 or 60fps is good for YouTube, because it allows you to upload a video with a much higher bitrate than in 480p, so the quality when played on the YouTube player will be way better.

No just stick with the classic 4:3 ratio. i know the math gives you 654.552 but just use 640x480, 960x720 or 1440x1080.

23 hours ago, jordanpalmerwiens said:

Youre probably thinking of 720x480 instead of 640x480. This is what the camera records before it is squeezed by the pixel aspect ratio (D1/DV NTSC 0.9091) then you would make your timeline 1080x720 or 1620x1080. I still like the 4:3 ratio better but whatever floats your boat.

Screen_Shot_2018_02_14_at_4_05_18_PM.png

Screen_Shot_2018_02_14_at_4_05_23_PM.png

sick thank you! Might mess around with that and test some stuff out. Thank you!