SkatePerception
Sign in to follow this  
tomicardenas

How To 4:3 Hd?

Hi guys, i know that some one posted a similar topic, but they actually didnt say how, there is this filmer named James Cruickshank, who films for grey skate mag, that films with apparently a full frame dslr with the canon 8-15 fish, and crops it 4:3 HD, i guess he crops it in post, but i cant figure out if its fake vig or if its real, i personally asked him but he didnt answer, so i guess ill ask u guys, ive got my 8-15 on its way so thats why i didnt try it myself, but, im so hyped that i cant even wait lol, here is an example...

some camera bodies will go to full frame with a wide fisheye if you change the quality of it. like a lens baby fisheye i think is like a peep hole when you set the dslr to 480 in the settings and shit. Like on my t3i i change it to 640x480 when im doing 4:3. That vig does look fake but its really hard to tell haha.

Hope this helped a bit.

thats fake vig. no vig is that sharp. he made it in photoshop and then overlayed it onto the footage. you'll get slightly soft vignetting with blue edging on the 8-15mm. what i do in post is use lumetri color and desaturate the blues and then make a circular mask. its not sharp, but it isn't blue anymore.

that footage is pretty great looking

some camera bodies will go to full frame with a wide fisheye if you change the quality of it. like a lens baby fisheye i think is like a peep hole when you set the dslr to 480 in the settings and shit. Like on my t3i i change it to 640x480 when im doing 4:3. That vig does look fake but its really hard to tell haha.

Hope this helped a bit.

why would you buy a t3i and then film at 480p?

• Like 1

lol not how it works ^

that footage is pretty great looking

the quality of the footage in general is just better and is the same res at VX footage

but there are people who are filming in 1080 on full frame at 8-10mm and cropping the footage 4:3 out of the 16:9 to get it

• Like 3

I guess it would depend on if the full-frame DSLR being used had a slight crop in video modes.  If it's a full frame with no crop (say taking a photo) at 8mm, that lens has hella vig.  Like enough that you could crop it to 4:3 and retain the amount of big shown in that video. 

If you film on a micro 4/3 camera with a 2x crop factor, you can use the lensbaby 5.8mm fisheye or the Meike 6.5mm fisheye and get pretty reasonable results for fairly cheap. I'm doing that right now on my Olympus em5-ii, doesn't compare to a7s quality but it's good for the price and it won't look far off with a panasonic g7, gh4 or something along those lines.

Hey @TonyZ do you mind sharing some footy from Olympus with Meike 6.5? How wide is it in 16:9 compared to Speedbooster + Manybrand?

21 minutes ago, hdx said:

Hey @TonyZ do you mind sharing some footy from Olympus with Meike 6.5? How wide is it in 16:9 compared to Speedbooster + Manybrand?

Unfortunately I don't have the Meike 6.5mm. I use the lensbaby 5.8mm, and only bought the Meike off amazon to compare, and ended up returning it as I already had the lensbaby which is a bit wider. Neither of these are usable in 16:9 mode as there is too much vig on the sides, but they're both great with 4:3 crop(the lensbaby has about as much vig cropped in 4:3 as a vx21 with an mk1, and the meike has barely any, just a tiny bit on each corner). I had a panasonic g6(2x crop) with a generic 1.5x nikon speedbooster and a manybrand fish and while I can't do a side by side comparison, I pretty sure I can get way closer with the lensbaby. I'm fairly confident that the Meike is also wider than the speedbooster manybrand combo on m43.

Here is a video I filmed with my olympus and the lensbaby https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7cZiocZtDQ8&t=297s

I would expect any m43 camera that is of a regular 2x crop(instead of a 2.3x crop for 4k or something) to look something like this if not better, as the em5ii lags behind cameras like the g7, gh3 models etc in terms of video quality. 

If you are torn between the Meike and the lensbaby, I would recommend buying both on amazon and returning the one you like less. The meike has a wider maximum aperture, smaller, a bit sharper and has a much nicer build quality. The lensbaby also has some flaring in the vignette but you can use just an overlay. The lensbaby is noticeably wider though, I would say that it's a similar different to the manybrand and peleng 8mm on canon dslrs, if not slightly more. 

On 5/6/2016 at 8:37 PM, ogmike said:

but there are people who are filming in 1080 on full frame at 8-10mm and cropping the footage 4:3 out of the 16:9 to get it

Yeah, that's what I found looked the best. You can also shoot 5D3 RAW and get a nicer image with more dynamic range and detail. I used it for a bunch of this. It was a huge pain and I wouldn't recommend it for anything serious, but it is doable. This is a mix of 5D3/5D3RAW/16mm.

ok, so if you remember the VX4000 New Balance video that came out last year, it was all RED filmed in 4:3. They did it by actually filming in 4:3 (anamorphic) and not stretching the footage, that way you can zoom the lens almost completely out until you see VIG in the corners and since it is zoomed out almost all the way, it is sharp and crisp, no need for fake photoshopped VIG.(I think, lol) but it does look like that "James Cruickshank" dude did use a photoshoped layer or something. :/

On 5/5/2016 at 9:22 AM, dick fitzwell said:

I did lol nine times out of ten 16:9 footage looks like shit to me. Plus it really is just skateboarding.. But we dont really take anything serious here ^_^

10 hours ago, DysFuNCtioNal337 said:

ok, so if you remember the VX4000 New Balance video that came out last year, it was all RED filmed in 4:3. They did it by actually filming in 4:3 (anamorphic) and not stretching the footage, that way you can zoom the lens almost completely out until you see VIG in the corners and since it is zoomed out almost all the way, it is sharp and crisp, no need for fake photoshopped VIG.(I think, lol) but it does look like that "James Cruickshank" dude did use a photoshoped layer or something. :/

RB Umali did a similar thing with the GH5 and anamorphic mode. Def a more affordable way to do it than RED but still expensive. He used a Canon 8-15mm but im sure you could do tests with other fisheyes/speedbooster to find a cheaper match.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, DysFuNCtioNal337 said:

I'm pretty sure that vx4000 video, as well as that rb umali clip are both using vig overlays, its way too sharp to be natural.

1 hour ago, TonyZ said:

I'm pretty sure that vx4000 video, as well as that rb umali clip are both using vig overlays, its way too sharp to be natural.

the rb umali one is but i think the vx4000 one used this super rare and huge nikon fisheye that has sharp vig

48 minutes ago, nomadskate said:

the rb umali one is but i think the vx4000 one used this super rare and huge nikon fisheye that has sharp vig

yea because i swear you can see the vig move sometimes and u can see light flares behind it sometimes. I dunno, i might be seeing what I want to see. haha

i see, im probably wrong then. I just assumed that they used a canon 8-15, which definitely has a soft vig due to the large sensors on these cameras. If thats the case then that nikon fisheye is very impressive if it can hold such sharp and perfect vig. Definitely from that new balance $$ 

12 hours ago, DysFuNCtioNal337 said:

yea because i swear you can see the vig move sometimes and u can see light flares behind it sometimes. I dunno, i might be seeing what I want to see. haha

http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/8mm.htm

Im thinking its this one! i think they used the same one in that terrible video "Wet Dream" by Girl

theres no way they used that lens, the nikon 8mm has nowhere near the same vig as the suspiciously mk1 like vig in vx400

its most likely that they used an 8-15 and did some creative masking and layers so that when the area under the vig overlay increased in luminance, the vig did too. 

3 hours ago, Steveo715 said:

theres no way they used that lens, the nikon 8mm has nowhere near the same vig as the suspiciously mk1 like vig in vx400

its most likely that they used an 8-15 and did some creative masking and layers so that when the area under the vig overlay increased in luminance, the vig did too. 

just found an instagram post confirming it was "red epic w/ canon 8-15mm fisheye" but the Wet Dream video def was.

• Thanks 1