SkatePerception
SteveLaClair

What the hell have you been up to?

having a hard time remembering who's who in here after the name changes. waddup bro @ newman !!

it's good to hear about people doing well. I think it's cool so many people got into programming. it seems like a long time ago when that google alert showed up and started blocking sp, but not much has changed for me since then. I am getting older too. life can pass you by. but, it's a new year. happy the boards are back

• Like 1

On 1/19/2018 at 8:46 PM, dkn said:

Newman are you all into programming now too?

I actually got super into Linux and bash scripting.  Been learning Python3 now.

https://github.com/zzzeyez

Yeah Linux/Python is great. Been doing it for 7-8 years now. It's nice because people learn Java and C# in school (or used to) - while really the job market is/was asking for Linux positions. For people like me (skate rats with no education whatsoever) it only takes skills to get a job, not some bullshit piece of paper you finished college/uni.

Following you on Github now!

• Like 1

18 hours ago, schoft said:

Yeah Linux/Python is great. Been doing it for 7-8 years now. It's nice because people learn Java and C# in school (or used to) - while really the job market is/was asking for Linux positions. For people like me (skate rats with no education whatsoever) it only takes skills to get a job, not some bullshit piece of paper you finished college/uni.

Following you on Github now!

The technology sector is amazing for this, the only bummer is that you have to continuously keep learning and you can't rest on your laurels or you'll be obsolete in no time.

My job is quickly shifting to understanding developer more so than the infrastructure folks now that things are shifting to microservices and the whole "devops" approach.  The market is getting hot for people that know kubernetes, OpenShift, Pivotal Cloud Foundry, etc..  

• Like 1

Forgot my old password and that email is no longer existing.

Moved to Arizona, graduated college, dad passed away, made a video, adopted a pitmix, traveled around the west, went to Canada, visited friends in Hawaii, lived out of my car for a while, back in a house now. 

Currently working as a maintenance guy for a guest ranch out in the mountains, interview today to work at a photo lab in town, been skating more than ever while filming less than before but still workin on another video. Been hyped on fixing and building spots around the valley. Only 23 so Im pushing off making big boy moves for a while....

Hyped SP is back. I used to spend so much time on here in highschool..

I don't think too many people will remember me since I didn't join sp until near the end, but I was lurking around for a good amount of time before that.  I have been pretty diligent shooting as much as I can during the break.

I got a few things published in Canadian mags and started a zine. Had a baby girl in September so my free time has been drastically reduced. Still manage to go skate about once a week and I shoot photos whenever I can. SP was always an amazing resource so hyped it's back! 

stopped filming about 5-6 years ago. focused on skating. moved to la and couch surfed for a few years. now living down in san diego working for a design company doing web development / design

just started filming again. 

• Like 1

went to business school and work in real estate development.  didn't see that one coming in 2006 when i joined this place.

On 1/19/2018 at 9:37 PM, JackGramenz said:

finished my journalism degree, got a job in radio for 18 months, quit my job to do stand-up

Tell us a joke funny man

On 1/19/2018 at 2:46 PM, dkn said:

Newman are you all into programming now too?

I actually got super into Linux and bash scripting.  Been learning Python3 now.

https://github.com/zzzeyez

yaaaaa

did most of a CS degree but graduated with a philosophy major.

now i'm just a boring programmer working from home. Not sure where you're at in your python journey, but this: https://tealsk12.gitbooks.io/2nd-semester-introduction-to-computer-science/content/ is a solid curriculum if you want something to follow. I volunteer at a local hs teaching da kiddos using it

• Like 1

I went to UNCC for Poli Sci but I work for a beer distributor out here in Raleigh which is obviously directly related, hah.  Don't really skate anymore, though I did hit the park a few times this fall and had a good time.

Still sort of doing the photo thing, but mostly racing when I feel like being credentialed/working and not just drinking beer at the track. 

Really into guns and shooting. Hoping to start shooting some matches this year, eventually doing some 3-gun. 

Otherwise, still the same old stubborn libertarian that loved to argue in AAG and such. Fuck it's good to see some of these names again. Great times. 

• Like 1

Man! What a great thing to have this forum back. So many good memories. I'm 22 now, haven't actively skated in 3 or 4 years but my passion for digital media has only increased thanks to all your cool people making great conversation for many years. I met Joey Jacobs while shooting a big Volkswagen car show in Savannah, GA last year. Awesome dude I felt like I had known for years.. because I had :P

Cars have certainly dominated my interest on the photo and video front. I worked as a marketing manager producing and publishing content for a European performance shop for a couple of years but now I'm working part time for my father's small creative agency as I wrap up my bachelor's this year. At this point I've spent so much time in school that I'm just ready to put it behind me and focus on enjoying shooting more. I still love the skate scene but am severely detached. I need to buy a fresh complete. 

Here's a quick recent clip that I filmed, I'm doing less video for fun than I was a year or two ago but staying active as best I can: 

• Like 1

I always thought that running this forum for such a long time was a real feather in your cap, Steve. I was around back in the EmpireofDirt days although I preferred the Shumways board. Is NightLifeMike still going on weekend-long benders?

Funny... when I first was using this board back in 7th grade, I would wonder if I would be active on here forever. I would think of an older version of myself sitting in a cubicle watching clips in the montage section. I always sucked at skating and filming and was too scared to pursue something that I had passion for, like most of you seem to have done.

Not sure exactly when the boards went down but I graduated school a few years ago and have been in NYC working at an investment bank. I'm still best friends with the guys I used to skate with 12+ years ago but we all sold our souls. Spend my time outside of work doing stupid bullshit, visiting my parents dogs and trying to figure out where the time went.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 1/28/2018 at 7:03 PM, perceive said:

was too scared to pursue something that I had passion for

Fuck this hit me hard...

Anyway, I just noticed you cant see who liked your post and you cant like your own posts anymore.. I dont back that. 

EDIT: You can see why youve been banned lol I back it

Screen%20Shot%202018-01-29%20at%207.00.0

On 1/28/2018 at 5:09 PM, Sohanhaha said:

Copious amounts of good times and weed

hey guise, miss y’all 

Sohan?  Need your account back?

On 1/28/2018 at 9:03 PM, perceive said:

I always thought that running this forum for such a long time was a real feather in your cap, Steve. I was around back in the EmpireofDirt days although I preferred the Shumways board. Is NightLifeMike still going on weekend-long benders?

Funny... when I first was using this board back in 7th grade, I would wonder if I would be active on here forever. I would think of an older version of myself sitting in a cubicle watching clips in the montage section. I always sucked at skating and filming and was too scared to pursue something that I had passion for, like most of you seem to have done.

Not sure exactly when the boards went down but I graduated school a few years ago and have been in NYC working at an investment bank. I'm still best friends with the guys I used to skate with 12+ years ago but we all sold our souls. Spend my time outside of work doing stupid bullshit, visiting my parents dogs and trying to figure out where the time went.

Yeah dude, you go wayyyy back.  Solid memory.

I am impressed with how many people have pursued careers in this area of interest, it's incredible but there's nothing wrong with selling your soul either.  I did.

Graduated college with a graphic arts degree. Still shooting photos but have recently purchased a drone so I'm making lots of videos with that. Working in Durham for a marketing company doing graphic design. Paying bills.

Also, I apologize for posts I made when I was 15. I was just a wee youngin'

Thanks for getting this back up @SteveLaClair !

Damn, it's like a class reunion in here.

Worked a lot shooting commercials and feature films. Almost moved to Chicago. Self published a few photo books. Made a skate video. Started a magazine. Still skate everyday. Trying to move to LA soon...

• Like 1

On 1/17/2018 at 6:48 PM, doyle said:

John Danielson? We chat on insta every now and then. He works for the Houston Museum of Natural Science - still shooting skating too!

yup! wrapped up college about 4 years ago and around the same time wrapped up my last full length. broke the fuck out of my ankle a few months before graduation. earned my degree in RTVF. biggest waste of time ever. didn't learn shit. now i needed to make some cash. worked a little for this ad agency in dallas before moving back to houston. started a wedding videography business because i couldn't find work in houston. found an ad on craigslist early 2016 to film for the houston museum of natural science. went from contract to contract, now im full time. I still run my wedding business with the help of nick lavigne. i skate whenever i can which is about once or twice a month. even if i had more time to skate, my ankle doesn't really allow it. 

On 1/17/2018 at 6:50 PM, tats said:

Hell yeah steve! I had a kid last year. Baby girl named Louise. It's wild, but it's the best. CONGRADULATIONSSS

Hey Jose!

On 1/22/2018 at 1:52 PM, kloveeeeeeee said:

stopped filming about 5-6 years ago. focused on skating. moved to la and couch surfed for a few years. now living down in san diego working for a design company doing web development / design

just started filming again. 

Me and Kevin were roomates for a few years until about 6 months ago. He had last part in my most recent video.

On 2/9/2018 at 5:55 AM, kevin_horn said:

Damn, it's like a class reunion in here.

Worked a lot shooting commercials and feature films. Almost moved to Chicago. Self published a few photo books. Made a skate video. Started a magazine. Still skate everyday. Trying to move to LA soon...

pleeeeease hit me up when you move to LA. Im in Long Beach!

I Lived in San Diego for 3 years and recently moved back to Long Beach. Do lots of freelance in the skateboarding industry. Trying to branch out and do more non skating related stuff. Just finished another video about 5 months ago. Uuuuhhhhh, I'm almost 30 and I dont have a wife, kids or pets. I still film skating almost every day and I keep in touch with alot of friends I've made from SP. We should bring back the SP yearly montage! haha 

• Like 2