SkatePerception
tats

What photo stuff happened while SP was away?

What happened to you that you needed some advice from SP while we were on the "Great Break"?

I really wanted to do some photo project of building a dark room in my small ass apartment. I was so confident that it would work out that I went and got second hand dark room equipment at a reasonable price from craigslist. All indications lead me to believe that I would be fine because I've done this before. My problem was figuring out what chems I needed. I asked around on instagram, asked on facebook messenger, and even talked with some people at the photo store, but i couldn't get all the resources in one place to actually know what I needed to do. So I buy some dev stop and fix, get it all sorted out in my bathroom, turn the fan on, and start thinking I know what I'm doing. I get out and I realized that my fan only moves air around in my bathroom and I was just inhaling fumes this whole time. I was in their for a while without anything to show for it. nothing came out wasted pretty much all the chem, and tons of photo paper. I was so turned around at work the next day that I went to the doctor. "Yeah maybe don't do that again". It was no one's fault but mine, but the whole reason i needed SP was I couldn't explain to anyone how and what happened. I needed to tell someone how Photography was almost the death of me.  

• Like 3

I was in a funk relating to photo and video stuff, and I ended up trying to use some archiving site to look through SP for past inspiration. It was an unsatisfactory experience.

I fried my T3 by using an over-charged battery and learned that they now sell for $1,500+

2 minutes ago, riot1991 said:

I fried my T3 by using an over-charged battery and learned that they now sell for $1,500+

Wow... They sure do. That's insane. The T2s are up there too, and I remember wanting one. 

On that note -  I "invested" in a Pakon Scanner for like $100, now they're going for $800 or more. But I love that thing too much. 

I have a Fuji X-E2 now. I really like the new fuji stuff. I try and take photos when I can but I'm a PhD student so that occupies most of my time. Is there a better alternative to flickr yet? 

1 minute ago, kid said:

I have a Fuji X-E2 now. I really like the new fuji stuff. I try and take photos when I can but I'm a PhD student so that occupies most of my time. Is there a better alternative to flickr yet? 

Is flickr still a thing or no? IG seems to be the go to photo sharing platform. 

I studied photo for a year and ditched it. Just graduated about a month ago and now I program and stuff. Don't shoot as much as I wish but I have more time with school being out and a studio at my disposal so I'd be a fool to waste that. 

Yeah but a bunch of people who don't give a shit about any of my 'photography', as compared to other shit I post on insta, already follow my insta so I sort of wanted a separate platform. Plus 500x500 images are kind of lame. 

I graduated with a degree in English, so I'm a wedding photographer/videographer/bartender now. It's the exact opposite of what I want to do with photos, but it pays the bills and funds my expensive film habit haha. 

Sold all my gear and got a Mamiya 7 (v. Good decision), and use my Epic/Yashica T2 on occasion as well. (Those things are crazy expensive now??? I got my last one on here I think for like $35 and now they're going for $200+) Anyways, pretty much exclusively 120 now outside of video gigs. 

Built a darkroom in my basement with my fiancé (also, I got engaged) and have been really forcing myself to stick to analog for photos. Been really enjoying making prints, been messing around with pinhole stuff, and trying to work with more alt-process methods. 

Currently expiramenting with caffenol and trying different roasts/acidities to see how it affects development/overall quality.  

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, Jake J said:

Currently expiramenting with caffenol and trying different roasts/acidities to see how it affects development/overall quality.  

Thats literally why i find SP so valuable. I would have totally avoided that whole situation I posted about earlier if I knew you could develop with coffee/beer and other random stuff.

3 hours ago, AnthonyAllison said:

Wow... They sure do. That's insane. The T2s are up there too, and I remember wanting one. 

On that note -  I "invested" in a Pakon Scanner for like $100, now they're going for $800 or more. But I love that thing too much. 

Holy shit you got lucky. Local film store over here is selling one for 1200$ 

Worked full time at a church for about 6 months doing film stuff and then left to work on cars full time.. still do freelance video and photo from time to time. Learned a lot about video production I didn’t already know and gained lots of invaluable knowledge 

I also bought a 7D and a Tamron 70-200 2.8 and a bunch of other gear and have done a lot of shooting and learning with video and photo..still have my t3i though. Are the t3is also selling for $1500? I didn't see any over $500.

I haven’t skated in about a year, mostly cause I cut a lot of negative people out of my life and a lot of them were who i skated with and also partly cause I have let my job get in the way of skating. Miss it every day and can’t wait to start again soon once I get some spare time. 

Its pretty cool to see SP resurrected! Hopefully scrolling down through the forums will inspire and encourage me to go skate and shoot more. It’s good to see some familiar names back on here! Hope y’all have all has been well for yall!

16 minutes ago, ParkerWGB said:

Holy shit you got lucky. Local film store over here is selling one for 1200$ 

A few years ago, when they were first found out about, they were super cheap since they came from wholesalers who liquidated their minilabs. Honestly, even at that price point, it's still an amazing piece of equipment for the money. 

14 minutes ago, Chase Boyer said:

I also bought a 7D and a Tamron 70-200 2.8 and a bunch of other gear and have done a lot of shooting and learning with video and photo..still have my t3i though. Are the t3is also selling for $1500? I didn't see any over $500.

The t3i's came out in 2011 and they generally have introduced a new one each year, looks like they're about $300 used at this point. 

11 minutes ago, AnthonyAllison said:

A few years ago, when they were first found out about, they were super cheap since they came from wholesalers who liquidated their minilabs. Honestly, even at that price point, it's still an amazing piece of equipment for the money. 

The t3i's came out in 2011 and they generally have introduced a new one each year, looks like they're about $300 used at this point. 

Yea I just need to bite the bullet and just buy one.

1 hour ago, AnthonyAllison said:

Wait, thought you guys were talking about Canon t3s whoops! Assuming y'all were talking Yashica? No way in hell a Rebel t3 is worth that much.  Sorry guys..it's been a long day.

I woke up this morning and saw this strange email that the Skateperception forum was back. Felt like I was traveling back in time. Thought it was some kind of error, that someone send it on accident. 

Anyway, I didn't really take any serious photographs in almost two years. Focused on other things, like getting my Master of Laws degree. But who knows, now that this forum is back... Might become inspired again. 

At least it's cool to see some familiar names again on here. 

52 minutes ago, Eric_vr said:

I woke up this morning and saw this strange email that the Skateperception forum was back. Felt like I was traveling back in time. Thought it was some kind of error, that someone send it on accident. 

Anyway, I didn't really take any serious photographs in almost two years. Focused on other things, like getting my Master of Laws degree. But who knows, now that this forum is back... Might become inspired again. 

At least it's cool to see some familiar names again on here. 

I still have the the Bronica etrsi and fisheye that I bought from you. It still gets used. 

2 hours ago, Danny_P said:

I still have the the Bronica etrsi and fisheye that I bought from you. It still gets used. 

Awesome, good to hear that!

13 hours ago, tats said:

Thats literally why i find SP so valuable. I would have totally avoided that whole situation I posted about earlier if I knew you could develop with coffee/beer and other random stuff.

I learned about the process originally on here. Even if nobody posts anymore, the gear review/techniques thread is a goldmine of info. and I'm glad it's back to dig through. It also helps that I ran into the old chemistry department chair of my college and he gave me a copy of a book he wrote called "The Chemistry of Photography" in which he has a chapter specifically dedicated to caffenol and other alt processing techniques. After coffee I'm gonna try different red wines. 

But yeah, once I get through a few roasts/rolls and get it all scanned I'll make a caffenol thread with some results!

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Jake J said:

Sold all my gear and got a Mamiya 7 (v. Good decision), and use my Epic/Yashica T2 on occasion as well. (Those things are crazy expensive now??? I got my last one on here I think for like $35 and now they're going for $200+) Anyways, pretty much exclusively 120 now outside of video gigs.  

Been contemplating this for a bit. Missed out on two for sale locally for really low prices. Maybe by the summer I'll find one.

Shooting more now than ever. Moved to the city from the burbs so new scenery is cool. Live a block away from the camera shop so that makes me shoot more.

Still just as obsessed with photography. I got some of my photos in Hamburger Eyes which is cool. And now I work full time as a camera repair technician. Send me some broken cameras.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, zagr111 said:

Still just as obsessed with photography. I got some of my photos in Hamburger Eyes which is cool. And now I work full time as a camera repair technician. Send me some broken cameras.

Can you fix my stylus epic? Still shoots but won't rewind the film. Also have a Yashica T4 and I suspect the film rewind is dying also.

4 hours ago, rad said:

Been contemplating this for a bit. Missed out on two for sale locally for really low prices. Maybe by the summer I'll find one.

KEH.com my man, BGN condition. Thing is cosmetically not great but picture quality not affected. Best decision I ever made. I have other gear, but I'm constantly reaching for it above all others. It's a blast to shoot with and it's the sharpest glass I've ever owned. Changed my whole style of shooting. 

5 hours ago, Zane said:

Hamburg eyes is super tight man. A few photos I saw on another thread reminded me of an issue of hamburg I have on my coffee table. 

• Like 1