SkatePerception

Let's get a Nine Club thread going, and talk about who our favorite guests were, and who you'd like to see.

Just watched the bill strobeck one. Was really good. Pretty cool that his girlfriend went out and bought him a vx and a mark 1 when they first came out.

I wanna see more filmers on there!

• Like 2

Yeah the Fat Bill one was pretty sick, but my favorite one of all time is probably the Wade Desarmo one.  Made me really respect him so much

I don't know how you sit through more than a few minutes 

14 minutes ago, schweems said:

I don't know how you sit through more than a few minutes 

Yeah, the host is a freak. So cringeworthy.

Only watch ones w guys I like bc I know I can sit through those, the Strobeck one was a stand out for sure. I liked the fact that chris roberts or anyone else didn't really talk a and Strobeck just went off.

Side note- Don't understand the whole kelly hart thing w the button and it usually being used to vocalize him laughing

2 hours ago, Goob said:

Yeah, the host is a freak. So cringeworthy.

its mostly him sort of acting trying to be funny and entertaining.  its obvious hes self aware of what hes doing and the blatant self-promotion/egotistical demeanor is a long running sarcastic joke. hes not incredibly relevant as a professional skateboarder these days and pretends to be top tier. it does become a bit much because he never really turns the persona off so he does seem ungenuine at times.

2 hours ago, ianfilms said:

Side note- Don't understand the whole kelly hart thing w the button and it usually being used to vocalize him laughing

i think its mainly a flow of conversation thing. if all three hosts always talked with no reserve they would talk over and cut off the guest more. i think the dynamic they have going is that chris just keeps the guest comfortable and continuously talking, roger has knowledge their career and trys to make sure they cover everything, and kelly is kept out of frame to only rarely chime in quickly when it gets quiet or with a reaction to make things a little more exciting. it is weird when you think that he has a button to discourage him from talking too much and that he often toggles it on just to only add in a laugh.

I’ve never watched one, I just let them build up and then listen to as podcasts on long drives. 

Favorites:

Jeremy Wray (super insightful, seems like the coolest dude)

Jamie Thomas - although that shit was 3 hours long, he has a cool story 

Bam - It’s tough not finding this dude interesting 

Ty’s - Just hearing his history and  perspective on his approach if he’s hated or not is pretty sick  

Jamie Foy and Wade’s were pretty good too

Then of course the Carroll’s, Reynolds, etc of the world

It’s much easier to listen to than Tim O’Connors or The Bunt, even though both shows can pull in good guests. 

• Like 1

I do enjoy the Nine Club, but like others said I'll only watch it if there is someone who I am interested in or who has had a long history in skateboarding. It's cool they do it for new cats, since it'll draw the younger crowd in...but they never really draw me in.

I've probably got like, 10 minutes left of Strobeck's one (I get to watch them before and after work for like an hour each time). Bam's stories are just really good to listen to, much preferred his interview on there than his EL. I also really enjoyed Steve Olson 'cause that cat's funny.

We need a Tom Penny one.

And to compliment the Strobeck one:

The last bit about Dylan was heavy