SkatePerception
AnthonyAllison

The Cool Photographer Videos Thread 2k18

One of my favorite threads from the old SP was one that had a bunch of old videos of classic photographers, whether a few minute clip to a full documentary. 

I can't find the thread and most of the links are probz dead, so add to this & discuss. 

There are lots of others in these series by KQED, but this one is certainly an SP classic. *(this one's for you Tunebomb)*

William Eggleston. Definitely an icon here on SP as much as anywhere else. There are other full length documentaries, but this one is more concise.

Todd Hido - a good introduction to his style and work. Often imitated, never duplicated. 

So many more - this should get us started. More to come later.

• Like 2

This ones pretty good.

Michael Kenna

Will dig up more.

• Like 1

A bit less mainstream here; Matt Black is a newer Magnum Photographer focusing in on a project called "The Geography of Poverty". This involves him travelling to cities across the US and gaining access to intimate moments in time in rough conditions. His black and white square images are a testament to style and form that do an amazing job of bringing together these disparate communities under a unifying aesthetic.

Here's a quick overview:

1 hour ago, Mikon said:

Let this be a placeholder... but how do I embed videos on here? 

I just pasted the link from youtube directly, and the forum just created the hyperlink or whatever. 

This series is a few years old now, but this is one of my favourites. Russia/Eastern Europe is intriguing to me. 

• Like 1

Here's a piece I shot with Alec Soth this last year. It has less to do with him working and more about his subject's he's drawn to/where he lives, but still nice to listen to his perspective.

• Like 2

Art-Greenspon-175x250.jpg.67045cf26cb3c606630815c25151d077.jpgcri_000000240262.thumb.jpg.1a8d24181eaa97177b02f1c0574858c7.jpg

Art Greenspon. The photographer famously known for his photograph that was later adapted for the Platoon movie cover.

No real interviews done on video with him unfortunately. This Time Magazine interview doesn't talk too much about his other photography but they do go fairly in depth about his photography career in vietnam and the events leading up to this photo. 

http://time.com/67551/the-best-photo-from-vietnam-one-photographers-defining-image-of-war/