SkatePerception

I'm headed to Colorado in a few weeks, particularly the Fort Collins, Denver and Colorado Springs areas. Looking for cool things and places to shoot pictures and b-roll footage of in or around those areas. No skating on this trip, just driving around and enjoying some time off work with friends and my camera. Any suggestions for some cool places to hit up? Good places to get landscapes of the mountains or the cityscapes from? Some cool coffee shops?

Cafes:  Mutiny Information Cafe (South Broadway is great,) Huckleberry Roasters (best flavor,) Mercury (central to the creative community, especially poetry)

Beautiful areas:  I like smoking weed on the top floor of the parking garage at 17th and Lincoln.  It's right downtown.  Springs has Garden of The Gods which is amazing.  Try and catch First Friday on Santa Fe, it's a blast.  Oh and on Santa Fe is El Taco De Mexico which is my fav food in the city.

Keep in mind Colorado has a very high elevation and this will make you higher than normal from weed.  So be careful with those edibles.

If you have any other questions let me know.  I know that city like the back of my hand.

edit:  Some other noteworthy experiences:  Tattered Cover Bookstore (worked there for years, great place,) Hi-Dive music venue has good shows and a vegan restaurant/bar next door and then you can go across the street to the bar Skylark which has a really sick upstairs area where you can chill and play pool or whatever.  And then Rhinoceropolis is a great DIY venue.  I skated in an art exhibition thing there and it was so so fun haha

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, riot1991 said:

Cafes:  Mutiny Information Cafe (South Broadway is great,) Huckleberry Roasters (best flavor,) Mercury (central to the creative community, especially poetry)

Beautiful areas:  I like smoking weed on the top floor of the parking garage at 17th and Lincoln.  It's right downtown.  Springs has Garden of The Gods which is amazing.  Try and catch First Friday on Santa Fe, it's a blast.  Oh and on Santa Fe is El Taco De Mexico which is my fav food in the city.

Keep in mind Colorado has a very high elevation and this will make you higher than normal from weed.  So be careful with those edibles.

If you have any other questions let me know.  I know that city like the back of my hand.

edit:  Some other noteworthy experiences:  Tattered Cover Bookstore (worked there for years, great place,) Hi-Dive music venue has good shows and a vegan restaurant/bar next door and then you can go across the street to the bar Skylark which has a really sick upstairs area where you can chill and play pool or whatever.  And then Rhinoceropolis is a great DIY venue.  I skated in an art exhibition thing there and it was so so fun haha

Thanks for the detailed info! Super helpful. I'll definitely stop by as many of the cafe's as possible while I'm in town and probably hit up that taco shop. Unfortunately won't be there on a Friday though sp can't do that First Friday event.  I don't smoke weed, but I'll probably check that spot out, from what I saw on Google street view I may be able to get some sweet cityscape shots from there. Any good locations to get good shots of mountains with the city in the foreground or just the mountains or city in general? Maybe some cool spots for portraits?

Yeah you can get great shops up there.  Here's an example https://0x0.st/sNFy.JPG

As for nature stuff I have no clue but those are some big-assed mountains dude, they're unavoidable almost.

There's a sick cave if you take i6 I believe from Golden into the mountains.  But it's probably too wet right now

Colorado Springs/Manitou is probably better for the nature shit.  Like I said:  Garden of The Gods is amazing

Garden of the Gods is wicked...  Also call the Pikes Peak number and see how open they are, I tried a few months ago and it was still 1,200ft from the top but still got above the clouds.  Tons of spots to pull over and get some b-roll.

On 1/18/2018 at 1:24 AM, dkn said:

Yeah you can get great shops up there.  Here's an example https://0x0.st/sNFy.JPG

As for nature stuff I have no clue but those are some big-assed mountains dude, they're unavoidable almost.

There's a sick cave if you take i6 I believe from Golden into the mountains.  But it's probably too wet right now

Colorado Springs/Manitou is probably better for the nature shit.  Like I said:  Garden of The Gods is amazing

Definitely some big mountains. I've seen them in the summer myself, just never in the winter yet. Super stoked though to see them in the winter. I might see about checking that cave out, sounds kinda cool, might make for some good starscapes or something. Garden of the Gods was super cool when I went. Was with a church group when I went though so only got to get out once or twice to shoot, so most of my shots were from a moving van.

On 1/18/2018 at 3:39 PM, SteveLaClair said:

Garden of the Gods is wicked...  Also call the Pikes Peak number and see how open they are, I tried a few months ago and it was still 1,200ft from the top but still got above the clouds.  Tons of spots to pull over and get some b-roll.

Seen it myself, super sweet place. Will be interesting to see if it's any different this time of year then in the summer when I was last there. Will try to see if I can go up to Pikes Peak. Definitely going to check on it.

On 1/18/2018 at 9:36 PM, m4rvman said:

Gold Camp Road in Colorado Springs

I'll have to check that place out too! Thanks!

Thanks for y'all's suggestions so far! Super stoked on this trip, especially finding all these places to try to visit while I'm there.

If your into beer, Check out TRVE brewing.  3rd and Broadway in Denver.