SkatePerception
Sign in to follow this  
KoRnholio8

How to save skateboarding magazines

So far it seems that the only proper solution is to only do print with no digital distribution and using core skate shops distribution for a reasonable fee. Downsides of such an approach are well known (distribution reach), but it brings along a loyal following. Anyone here gives/sells their work to such magazines? Would you consider posting only to such media, ignoring the internet completely?

I also think we underestimate instagram's longterm effects on skateboard media. I'm seeing more and more companies trying harder to have all their posts be an ad you'd see in a mag. 

I think in the long run, funding something like this yourself is never sustainable with any sort of distribution. I think what the berrics did is good for the skate mag business wise (skate wise, seems backwards to own "skateboard mag" and change it to your brand). What I'm getting at is you need to find a company that finds value in it. If you see all the random print media in your city, you know there are companies willing to give it a shot. Something like skateshop zine, libraries/book stores, places that are "lyfestyle" brands kind of advertising.

If you wanted something core, I would stick with a zine periodical formula, Adds more value to a finished product.  

IMO I also have no dog in this fight. I haven't picked up a skate mag or any physical mag in ages. 

I’m not sure if monthly magazines need to be saved, but I would be bummed in a world void of printed media  

I would hate to speculate without seeing the revenues from ads and operating costs of running a print mag. But there may be a lot of external factors to consider  

We know for certain that videos are no longer an income stream for companies but instead now a marketing expense, which has to cut into the budgets of what would be going into print ads. Factor this in with video pre/post-roll ads on Thrasher, YouTube, TWS, etc. and whatever new crap is out. It’s easy to see where print should be having a difficult time. This isn’t even considering having to fight the speed of the internet for current content  

I still appreciate print, but magazines may have to go with a less is more approach (the quarterly idea above). Or doing larger/special projects (i.e. the jenkem, FTC books). 

1 hour ago, SteveLaClair said:

operating costs of running a print mag.

Whatever it is, it's gotta be more than operating an instagram. I would imagine it costs more than operating a website too.