SkatePerception

Evening, morning, afternoon (whatever applies)

I just copped a Jap VX1 and it turns on fine, but the viewfinder is really dark. I Googled a few things and I can see this maybe the viewfinder cable.

Is anyone on here able to confirm this for me?

Cheers all,

Pedro

No image would be ribbon. DARK image is typically a bad tantalum capacitor on the outside board of the viewfinder assembly. 

• Like 1

Ah funny enough as you said this I started to play around with the camera and noticed the image only gets dark, when I lift up the viewfinder. If I lay it flat, the image is totally fine.

yup my old vx was like that. Could only use the viewfinder in the flat position. 

3 minutes ago, ParkerWGB said:

yup my old vx was like that. Could only use the viewfinder in the flat position. 

That's cool. Was it a case of that when you moved it, then it would go dark and once you reset it it's fine? Mine is doing that. If that's the case, I might just leave it as it is. I don't really need to move the viewfinder about really.

2 hours ago, pedromayn said:

That's cool. Was it a case of that when you moved it, then it would go dark and once you reset it it's fine? Mine is doing that. If that's the case, I might just leave it as it is. I don't really need to move the viewfinder about really.

yea if i would just slightly move it, it would black out. And then turn it off and put it back in lowest position and then turn it back on and she was golden. Ran with that for like 2 years. 

• Like 1

Stand corrected. THAT is a ribbon symptom. I have those ribbons manufactured for me if you need one, and know someone to install it.

• Like 1

On 1/23/2018 at 6:40 AM, Video Electronics said:

Stand corrected. THAT is a ribbon symptom. I have those ribbons manufactured for me if you need one, and know someone to install it.

JUST SAYING, Video Electronics are the people you want to fix your VX Cameras. My close friend Dean Kubasek has had this problem fixed along with many other problems from these homies.

• Like 2

Cheers for all the help, guys - I'll just keep using it as it is for the time being and then maybe think about getting it fixed when it bugs me further (it probably will knowing me).