SkatePerception
vx2000Mk1

Is the Hpx170/Xtreme better than the V1000,2000, & 2100 mk1?

Is the Hpx170/Xtreme better than the V1000,2000, & 2100 mk1?  

17 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

3 hours ago, doyle said:

I'm not a fan of how that fisheye ends up looking. It's not bad, but it's not for me. To me, that Mk2 compared to an Xtreme is sort of like comparing a VX2/Mk2 to a VX1/Mk1.

Unfortunately I feel the same way, every clip I’ve seen with that lens it seems like they chopped heads and couldn’t keep the skater in the frame (vertically)

I wish I liked it though because its 1/3 the Xtreme’s price

I just bought an AC90 so I'm looking forward to seeing how different fisheyes look on it, too. Definitely too small for an Xtreme, I'm guessing, but I think it could look good with a modded mk1/mk2.

On 1/30/2018 at 4:34 PM, WesleySlaps said:

Unfortunately I feel the same way, every clip I’ve seen with that lens it seems like they chopped heads and couldn’t keep the skater in the frame (vertically)

I wish I liked it though because its 1/3 the Xtreme’s price

I feel like every HD fisheye clip is either going to chop heads or have a ton of wasted space on both side of the skater. 

Just out of curiosity, do most of those new HD cams have the option to film 4:3? 

1 hour ago, jay. said:

I feel like every HD fisheye clip is either going to chop heads or have a ton of wasted space on both side of the skater. 

Just out of curiosity, do most of those new HD cams have the option to film 4:3? 

Kind of. Most of them have an option to shoot SD 4:3, but it's easy enough to just crop the full HD to 4:3 in post.

3 hours ago, jay. said:

I have the hpx mk2 setup. Like doyle said it has SD 4:3. Using the fisheye with that setting though it rather useless cuz its no where near as wide as a vx/mk1 or dvx/mk2 etc, theres no vig and it looks weird. I film HD and don't chop heads at all usually, you just can't get as close obviously. For things like a single handrail trick it can look good but for things like lines it will never compare to filming in 4:3. Heres a vid I made with it. 

I don't why people don't go after the HD 4:3 vx look like in this video. Its so ideal imo. That vids filmed with a RED setup I think but I know people on here have DSLR setups that have very similar looking footage. 

Wish there was a simple camcorder solution to get this look. Sony Panasonic get on that shit. 

space out your mk2 on your hpx/hvx and crop to 4:3

ive done it, its easy as hell and looks pretty great 

3 hours ago, Steveo715 said:

space out your mk2 on your hpx/hvx and crop to 4:3

ive done it, its easy as hell and looks pretty great 

Footage?

What do you space it out with?

10 minutes ago, cameron2g said:

Footage?

What do you space it out with?

dont have any on this computer, sorry

and with spacers, lol

3 minutes ago, Steveo715 said:

dont have any on this computer, sorry

and with spacers, lol

does your camera not have a bayo

Just now, cameron2g said:

does your camera not have a bayo

i did this with an opteka .3 on an hmc150

mk2 bayo fisheyes have threads underneath the bayonet if you remove it, 72mm or 82mm iirc

You can’t compare the two. It’s completely different. Honestly that Mk1 was never built to be put on the vx2100 because for the industry it was too much vig for a proper image. It created a look in the industry in skating and it stuck. The Mk2’a “designed for the HPX/HMC” well that’s a gimmick they are old mk2’s that had bayos no one wanted like FX7,Xh1 Etc and they want to sell them so they designed a bayo for them and swapped them it’s “limited” because a company like Century is not going to produce a lens that requires Z10-Z15 zoom to look acceptable. As far as the xtreme goes it has the perfect (in my opinion) amount of vig and distortion. It’s nearly impossible to put together an MK1/vx2100 and a HPX170/xtreme and say one is wider then the other as you are looking at two completely different aspect ratios that don’t capture the same images. If you love the feel of a camcorder and just feel like you overall want to learn more about cameras and using them step it up to an HPX. The xtreme is just the best HD fisheye we have for the market. If you want more vig though try the HVX200A and xtreme. The wider built in lens gives off more vig and distortion then an HPX xtreme setup. I also do have many of these options for sale if you like to talk. 

I actually own the PX270 Xtreme setup myself. I do not know if it’s truly wider than the 200A setup I don’t think it is. I think it’s slightly  wider then the HPX xtreme as it’s vig is just a little more but less vig then the HVX200A. I think the 200A has the wider angle due to the focal point / 82mm width