SkatePerception
vx2000Mk1

Is the Hpx170/Xtreme better than the V1000,2000, & 2100 mk1?

Is the Hpx170/Xtreme better than the V1000,2000, & 2100 mk1?  

12 members have voted

1. 1. Is the Hpx170/Xtreme better than the V1000,2000, & 2100 mk1?

Is the hpx170/xtreme really worth it? I have a vx2000/mk1 and I find it really hard to convince myself to get this setup. First off as many of us know, the xtreme fisheye look's bad compared to the mk1. Don't get me wrong, it looks nice but that's because camcorder itself simply films at 1080p.

The hpx170/xtreme  is good for what it is though. It's defiantly better than the DSLR stuff you see in new skate films for sure. I can't imagine filming a skate film without using a proper zoom but's that's just me though. The Hpx170 is nearly a decade old and the xtreme is not just only less distorted than the mk1, it's more expensive as well. Why drop big dough for a fisheye that does not perform as good as the mk1? I think it's a cool setup if you're going HD though. In my opinion, the hpx170/xtreme is the vxmk1 of Hd. Both setup's are outdated anyways. 

So is the hpx/extreme better? Both are great camera setup's. I would love to hear your opinion's. 

It's comparing standard definition to high definition... apples and oranges. If you prefer HD footage, use an HD setup and vice-versa.

I prefer HD and it's generally tapeless workflow so I use an HPX170 with a bayonet Century MK2 designed for some Sony HD camcorder and it works good for what I use it for. (I don't know what camera the MK2 is designed for, so please don't ask. The only thing the lens has on it to indicate which camera it's for is "SONY HD" or something equally vague. I randomly bought it many years ago and it just so happened to fit the HPX.) 

yee old "vx vs hd" 

I don't really even wanna explain because its personal preference. 

15 hours ago, doyle said:

This thread and debate fuckin sucks.

On 1/19/2018 at 10:00 PM, doyle said:

This thread and debate fuckin sucks.

I respectfully disagree. You know what sucks in my opinion? Spending 2 grand for a fisheye that's less distorted than the Century mk1. I'm simply and politely asked a legitimate question. As I stated in my op, the hpx170 is defiantly good for what it is. According to vx1000 market Century Optics is designing a mk3, which is supposed to be cheaper than the xtreme. Don't know if it's going to wider or not though...:rolleyes:

On 1/19/2018 at 8:22 PM, Charley said:

It's comparing standard definition to high definition... apples and oranges. If you prefer HD footage, use an HD setup and vice-versa.

I prefer HD and it's generally tapeless workflow so I use an HPX170 with a bayonet Century MK2 designed for some Sony HD camcorder and it works good for what I use it for. (I don't know what camera the MK2 is designed for, so please don't ask. The only thing the lens has on it to indicate which camera it's for is "SONY HD" or something equally vague. I randomly bought it many years ago and it just so happened to fit the HPX.) 

Thanks for your answer brotherman. As I stated above, Century is making a mk3 fisheye. Hopefully it's pretty good. We need a hd fisheye that's just as wide as a mk1 if possible. The xtreme look's like hd mk1 intermediate rather than a mk1 for hd. 

I’m not too sure what the goal of this thread is...

but the MK3 for the HPX/ HMC is more than likely not going to be wider than the Xtreme fisheye lens, just cheaper

just get a vx1k, hmc40 and a mk1 and you're settled for both hd and sd 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, vx2000Mk1 said:

Thanks for your answer brotherman. As I stated above, Century is making a mk3 fisheye. Hopefully it's pretty good. We need a hd fisheye that's just as wide as a mk1 if possible. The xtreme look's like hd mk1 intermediate rather than a mk1 for hd. 

I don't think that's possible, since HD is 16:9. There could be a widescreen fisheye that it the same horizontal width as a VX1/MK1 but then the vertical width would not be the same (since the top and bottom would essentially be cropped). And the same goes for if it had the same vertical width. There would have to be TONS of vignetting otherwise the angle would have to be more that 180 degrees.

But also, SD and HD are very different and it's just personal opinion as to which is "better." I like certain videos way better because they're shot with a VX1, and certain videos better that are HD.

6 hours ago, cobyberger said:

Seems like OP needs more money. 

More money for a hd camcorder that's practically a decade old? Ok kid. :lol: Pretty sure my bio say's what I'm working with.

2 hours ago, doyle said:

I don't think that's possible, since HD is 16:9. There could be a widescreen fisheye that it the same horizontal width as a VX1/MK1 but then the vertical width would not be the same (since the top and bottom would essentially be cropped). And the same goes for if it had the same vertical width. There would have to be TONS of vignetting otherwise the angle would have to be more that 180 degrees.

But also, SD and HD are very different and it's just personal opinion as to which is "better." I like certain videos way better because they're shot with a VX1, and certain videos better that are HD.

I agree as well doyle. Some videos look good filmed in hd or sd. (Especially if it's filmed with a camcorder like the hdpx170). 

I made this thread because I'm the fence of getting a hpx170/xtreme myself. My friend has a vx1k/mk1 and sold his hvx200/xtreme a few years back. Wonder why he kept the vxmk1 not the other ;) 

i think both cameras have the potential to make skating look good. there isnt an objectively superior choice that applies for all circumstances. different styles of editing, skating, and filming all come into play into making one camera a better choice over the other for that unique situation.

15 hours ago, vx2000Mk1 said:

I respectfully disagree. You know what sucks in my opinion? Spending 2 grand for a fisheye that's less distorted than the Century mk1.

I think everyone who gets it knows it’s less distorted than the mk1. Price just seemed like what you were concerned with.... the most distortion =\= the best lens or camera set up.

Ps.

I love that in day ~3 of sp being back this is one of the first threads. Somethings never change <3

Skateboarding looks best in 4:3 and that's just a straight up fact. 

I saw a new mk2(?) that boys of summer posted on their ig awhile back. Has vig and I think it's ~$800. 

Does skating look sick on vx mk1? fuck yeah but dealing with SD footage and DV transfer is only going to become more of a pain as time passes.  No need to have the newest shit but I like to have a time tried camera thats still on the modern side.  P2 storage can be a hassle in its own right. 

28 minutes ago, JonPlarr said:

Does skating look sick on vx mk1? fuck yeah but dealing with SD footage and DV transfer is only going to become more of a pain as time passes.  No need to have the newest shit but I like to have a time tried camera thats still on the modern side.  P2 storage can be a hassle in its own right. 

What he said ^

Who wants to log tapes in 2018

you are never going to like HD fisheye if you think a vx/mk setup is the best looking set up to you. But, DLSR fisheye set ups can look much better then a hvx/hpx extreme IMO.

I'm surprised that there are still SD people in 2018. Logging tapes, servicing VX, overpriced fisheye options is not for me anymore. I believe there are many good HD options on the market today. I'm a mirrorless/DSLR camera guy myself and over the years I've found a good setup for me. Regarding good camcorder options I'd still go with interchangeable lens camera. JVC LS-300 seems to be a hidden gem, especially for skateboarding. It has great slow motion capabilities, 4K, zoom via sensor crop, accepts focal reducers which means you can get verrry wide with fisheye lenses etc.

• Like 1

I just switched back to SD from a t3i setup. The t3i was cool but its pretty annoying to film with. I love the simplicity of filming with a vx. Pull it out of the bag, set colors, maybe twist on a fisheye and thats it. I fucking HATE carrying a handle around. The set up time with the t3i is so much longer. Screw it to the handle, change the lens, mount a light if need be, change batteries every 45 min, etc. Shit sucks. Importing footage is easier tho. I got bored of the t3i and hated filming long lens with it. This summer I picked up a vx2100 and mk2 for $300 (mk2 was in bad shape) then bought an opteka fisheye for like $130. Filming is fun again and I have vig so im happy. 

• Like 1

I finally sold my vx in August after having it for god knows how long.  I'm still sold on how perfect that setup is for skating; however, logging footage, servicing and the dongle/cable hell you have to go through just to capture on a modern mac is a bit of a pain.

Personally, if I were to get back into filming I would go the HPX route and use this fisheye... reproduces the classic image very well and still maintains usefulness.

https://boysofsummervideo.com/products/century-optics-mk2

• Like 1

I'm not a fan of how that fisheye ends up looking. It's not bad, but it's not for me. To me, that Mk2 compared to an Xtreme is sort of like comparing a VX2/Mk2 to a VX1/Mk1.