SkatePerception
Sign in to follow this  
rad

Last month(s)

Glad this place is back. Haven't found a place that gives any feedback. Appreciate any C&C. 

000015360016.jpg.de46dc210e438bb2cb559151b744abda.jpg

000019490007.jpg.667c36c02e5660c28072926be2be783c.jpg

000019490008.thumb.jpg.aadf566f4ebd3a6b202672550403b7c8.jpg

000062300021 copy.jpg

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Virtual life said:

Did the third happen by accident?

Yes, it did happen by accident. 

I go on walks at lunch around work, and I usually end up past that theatre because there's usually nice light in that area. Just so happens that this guy is laying on the ground in that pose, totally by chance. He definitely looked not all there. Took another frame I liked better but it was out of focus. 

Oddly enough the other week I was walking in a different part of downtown and came across him again, same kind of pose. Not quite sure why, but will be curious to see if I find him again. 

IMG_0605.JPG

I mostly asked cause his pose is mirrored in the poster, which seemed odd to happen on accident, yet at the same time almost too dumb to happen on purpose.

I like the kind of jeff wall vibe it has, if jeff wall did completely earnest slapstick, though I think that would be helped a lot by having the composition be formally perfect. I tried to straighten it out a little, crop it ever so slightly and adjust the colours to be more neutral, which seems to work somewhat.

EQJ4fKO.jpg

I know what you mean, it was really quite lucky timing about the pose and the poster. The poster changed the next day as well, so likely to never happen again. I think the thing I like most about photography is the ability to preserve situations like this. I see what you mean about the Jeff Wall similarities, can't say I'm as familiar with his work as I should be.

Appreciate the edit, I do like the look of yours better. I fell into the trap of over exposing by a couple stops. Some situations I like it better, but in this case I blew out the highlights a little to much. 

Actually just had a look at your website. Is there a logic to the order you used? It seems to me like there are quite a few photos that are visually strongly connected, but their full potential isn't really realised.

Something like this is what I mean:

DSCF4669_1250.JPG

Scan-150609-0022_1200.jpg

000075180002_Edit_879.jpg

There's a rhythm to these photo's when seen in succession, yet they are completely separated in the way your site is ordered at the moment.

If you don't do exhibitions often, perhaps it is a good idea to try something like that, having to put things physically into a space knowing that there will be bodies looking at them can change your perception on things.

• Like 1

This is the first time I've tried to sequence my photo's and create a narrative/sequence which I find quite hard to do. I think I've done alright creating a beginning and end, but everything in between is tricky. I've gone back and forth moving things around, but not really sure how to do it. Perhaps printing 4 x 6's and physically moving them around would be easier than trying to do it on the computer. That way I can see everything at once. Any advice for building a body of work?

I'd like to try and exhibit some work, and that's something I'm working towards. This site is a first step in that direction. 

Definitely work in physical media. Make some prints, a magazine, whatever you want. There is a completely different way of thinking that ink brings, which you can't fully appreciate without actually trying it out.

Getting some prints would be a good starting point. And yeah try to exhibit somewhere local. Small non-profit venues usually are somewhat chill about people going up to them in person and talking about stuff. If that feels like too big of a step then try some other places you've got a good personal relationship with, I've done a few projects with the local skatepark over the years. And if even that is impossible, clear a wall in wherever you are living, put some stuff up, invite some people and drink a few beers.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Robert K. said:

Definitely work in physical media. Make some prints, a magazine, whatever you want. There is a completely different way of thinking that ink brings, which you can't fully appreciate without actually trying it out.

Getting some prints would be a good starting point. And yeah try to exhibit somewhere local. Small non-profit venues usually are somewhat chill about people going up to them in person and talking about stuff. If that feels like too big of a step then try some other places you've got a good personal relationship with, I've done a few projects with the local skatepark over the years. And if even that is impossible, clear a wall in wherever you are living, put some stuff up, invite some people and drink a few beers.

Thanks for all the advice, really appreciated it. This is what I've been missing since SP went away.

I do like coffee so maybe I'll try some coffee shops first. I guess just explain who I am and what I do? Maybe offer to frame a few prints that work well together and ask if they'll show them? Something along those lines.

48 minutes ago, AnthonyAllison said:

amazing photos and feedback. that’s why i missed this community. 

Thanks! I missed it too.

There's a whole bunch of options to show things and there's more to life than frames. Dibond, magazine tears, presentation tables, few photos, many photos, together or far apart.

Try to get an idea of what you want by working with physical stuff and looking at other photographers exhibitions. Usually their galleries have some kind of archive of exhibition views on their website.

Sugimoto Wall Tillmans Templeton Demand

And a coffee shop would be a good place, but make sure you have a strong personal connection to a non-art space if you propose something like this. Like if you know the owner or hang out there every day and know all the staff by name or something. I can tell you from experience that if that isn't the case the best you'll get is a bunch of pictures on a wall that are poorly lit or underexposed in another way, with neither of you happy. You need to take at least a little control about the artistic direction, including the way they are hung and you can only do that if they are willing to give you that freedom.

Good to know. Thanks again for all the advice!

Wow I wish I got Guus criticism like that.

I like the photos!  What processing did you do?  Specifically resizing and scanning

They look extremely crisp

On 1/26/2018 at 2:07 PM, dkn said:

Wow I wish I got Guus criticism like that.

I like the photos!  What processing did you do?  Specifically resizing and scanning

They look extremely crisp

Thanks man.

Processing wise I don't really do much. Maybe tweak the levels a little bit. I generally prefer images with less contrast. Scanning is all done by the lab. I'm not sure how to check EXIF data. I know they use a Noritsu, but not sure if this is what they used.