SkatePerception
Sign in to follow this  
JonPlarr

DSLR Long Lens

Anybody have cool techniques for shooting long lens on a dslr.  I've been using one about a year and by the thing I miss most about using a VX is having a zoom trigger.  

a few options

-make sure you have a constant aperture zoom lens

-get a focus stick off ebay and put that on the zoom ring

-don't zoom and just live with it

-give up and buy an hmc/hvx/hpx whatever

-shoot in 4k and you can zoom in editing without losing much resolution

Thats a really good idea about 4k. Lately I've been thinking a lot about just not zooming in LL but who knows maybe a HMC is in the future 

On 23-1-2018 at 5:06 AM, Steveo715 said:

Haha exactly what I did, zooming with dslr sucks no matter how many tools you get to make it work 

Alright, 4k post zooming is lit and all. But hear me out:

Just because you don't use a zoom rocker doesn't mean the zoom tool is ruined. I know some hvx/hpx filmers used the zoom ring on their cameras to get the exact zoom they wanted. You honestly just have to grind and learn how to film with the zoom ring. I'm sure the Cinema lenses help a lot with all this but I don't have those. Anyways, what helps a lot is having a shoulder mount for your DSLR while your zooming. One hand on the lens and one hand on the rig/camera. I use this cheap shoulder mount off amazon and it has worked wonders! I'm about to make a video about this soon.

(old photo)

shoulder photo.png

• Like 2

Sadly there are no options for good servo-like zooming on mirrorless or DSLR cameras. From my experience:

• You can get a vintage constant aperture zoom lens. I bought RMC Tokina 28-85mm f/4 and it's ok for the price (I paid like 40$ for it) but it fucking heavy and there is no way you can film with it handheld without any support. Its weight actually helps getting more stable footage but I'd use it with sensor stabilised cameras (like A6500 or G85) but I only have Panasonic G7 so won't tell you how it would perform. Usually with such lenses, the image quality sucks compared to any modern lens. My Tokina flares easily and has that nasty ghosting at f/4.
  • For mirrorless cameras only: get an old ENG lens. There are servo zooms out there and the price can be reasonable sometimes. The biggest drawback is that you need special cables to power servo zoom and the image quality is usually low as these were designed for 3CCD cameras. Also these lenses are bulky.
  • Get a modern lens with IS, preferably somewhere in 24-105 range for crop sensor cameras. I know Mike Manzoori was using Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM lens in the past also I've seen a lot of good footage out there. Image stabilization is a must for such lenses. There are some cheaper alternatives out there f.ex. Tamron 17-50 mm f/2.8 but I have no experience with them.

I'm not convinced about cropping 4K footage as it looks fake and zoom range is very limited. 

It's hard to get good zoom performance on photo cameras. Keep in mind that you won't be able to change focus with most lenses which means it would be hard to film in bad lighting conditions as you'd need to keep f number high. I recommend trying some options (start with a vintage lens maybe?) but better focus on other filming techniques. Seeing fisheye + zoom long lens is getting really boring these days.

I have to somewhat disagree with hdx,  there is one option that i'm aware of for servo zooming with a dslr,  Its a Canon 18-80mm T4.4 -Servo Cinema Zoom Lens. 

I had the opportunity to play with one and it was an absolute dream come true. 

It's almost not an option because of the price,  but if your really trying to use a dslr with servo zoom,  it can be realistic. 

Lens - 

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1246187-REG/canon_1714c002_cn_e_18_80mm_t4_4_compact_servo.html?ap=y&c3api=1876%2C{creative}%2C{keyword}&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIm9bGipOB2QIVlLrACh3dHgZpEAQYASABEgJfSfD_BwE

Control Grip - 

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1246190-REG/canon_1715c002_zgc_c10_control_grip_for.html

Sure, a big overstatement from my side but I had in mind that those lenses are too expensive for most skate filmers. Old ENG lenses are cheaper if you really need servo zoom:

On 1/31/2018 at 6:15 AM, hdx said:

Sure, a big overstatement from my side but I had in mind that those lenses are too expensive for most skate filmers. Old ENG lenses are cheaper if you really need servo zoom:

wow, honestly this looks like the answer everyone is looking for. never heard of these lenses, thank you!

There is a catch - these lenses are usually hard to find and you have to find a lens with 2x extender, designed for 1/2" sensor, using B4 mount system. They usually work with smaller sensor size cameras like M4/3. Good luck if you decide to pull a trigger on one. I'd love to see the footage.

8 hours ago, hdx said:

There is a catch - these lenses are usually hard to find and you have to find a lens with 2x extender, designed for 1/2" sensor, using B4 mount system. They usually work with smaller sensor size cameras like M4/3. Good luck if you decide to pull a trigger on one. I'd love to see the footage.

Also, if I'm not mistaken, you need to have a separate power source for the zoom rocker.

On 1/22/2018 at 8:06 PM, Steveo715 said:

a few options

-make sure you have a constant aperture zoom lens

-get a focus stick off ebay and put that on the zoom ring

-don't zoom and just live with it

-shoot in 4k and you can zoom in editing without losing much resolution

-crutial

-agreed

-haha

-great idea if you can live with 720/1080 output

-digital zoom is a FULL BOP and I am so sorry for it... haha

Also, I've used this lens before, not for skating but the servo is built in and you dont need the rocker for a smooth zoom plus it has a long focal range and since were talking about filming skating, you dont need a super shallow DOF so the f4 is reasonable i think. The Sony FE PZ 28-135mm f/4 G OSS Lens 

On 1/25/2018 at 12:15 AM, Jerskates said:

Alright, 4k post zooming is lit and all. But hear me out:

Just because you don't use a zoom rocker doesn't mean the zoom tool is ruined. I know some hvx/hpx filmers used the zoom ring on their cameras to get the exact zoom they wanted. You honestly just have to grind and learn how to film with the zoom ring. I'm sure the Cinema lenses help a lot with all this but I don't have those. Anyways, what helps a lot is having a shoulder mount for your DSLR while your zooming. One hand on the lens and one hand on the rig/camera. I use this cheap shoulder mount off amazon and it has worked wonders! I'm about to make a video about this soon.

(old photo)

shoulder photo.png

rwejfFU.png

• Haha 1