SkatePerception
Shakezoola

what's up with your website?

I'm in the process of completely updating my website, despite how tedious it can be,  I'm actually having a lot of fun with going through photos/work I want to organize/show. right now it's just a blank title page with an info tab with links to my social media and a weirdly formatted 'list of photography shit i've done. hoping to get the thing up by middle of feb though

If you have one, post your site up here and share advice!! Would love to hear about how you all put together work, as presentation is an often under looked part of photography and something that can drastically impact the experience someone has when looking at your photos. Also post any cool photographer websites with designs/photos/projects/whatever you're into.

http://www.martinkollar.com/ - this dude is super rad. I think his site layout is super clean

http://www.edpanar.com/ - a site where the way you navigate it is fitting with the content

Can't wait to see yours when it's up!!!

Currently in the process of making one for myself. I have the hosting and domain all set up. In the design process now which is pretty fun. Been doing some web stuff at work and getting better at CSS and JS so I'm gonna carry that over to my personal site. I totally agree with the presentation thing being really underrated. Most photo sites follow the same formula and are pretty cookie cutter. I think its an important consideration as it can alter or influence the meaning of the work.

Do you or anyone else think there's a limit on how far back work should go? I have stuff from a cross country road trip in 2015 (I think) I took that has never seen the light of day.

I really like the layout on the first example!

I have one because I needed to make one for uni. It's just a Wordpress with some minor alterations (I had to copy and paste the code, I really need to learn how to code!) and as such is quite cookie cutter. I also have a real hard time writing about myself in that context so the bio on the home page is awful and the blog section might as well not be there.  

Basically, it's a bit of a mess and needs an overhaul but HERE IT IS 

In the time SP has been gone, I went from a site that I coded myself, to a squarespace general "portfolio" looking one (the kind every photographer uses with the sidebar and click to advance slideshow), to this: http://www.anthonyallison.net/

My goal was to modernize the portfolio experience and start off with a big, bold first impression where the features get the heck out of the way and showcase the photos. I also wanted to implement a video background that drew visual focus to the skate video I made.

I am also very over the idea of click to advance portfolios being the basis of a website for a number of reasons, namely these few

1- its often slow and clumsy. things like crossfade transitions kill attention, and requiring the user to interact 10-25 times (click or use keyboard arrow) per gallery results in less website engagement as a whole. side-scrolling helps a bit, but then you run into issues with mobile UI.

2- the majority of traffic is from and on mobile, and if you haven't optimized for mobile UX, then you're losing that engagement. 

3- slideshows perform terribly on mobile, often having to load a lot of render blocking scripts with photos that aren't optimized for mobile screens (these should be lower image res or quality). also, the click to advance ruins the mobile experience where attention span is even more at a premium. breaking the slideshow at a certain media width helps, most sites don't do this natively. 

As far as my site update, I'm looking at some data, mouseflow recordings, and other stuff to learn about how users interact and spend time - so far there has been a much larger improvement in time on page, galleries viewed, and amount of times reaching the end of a gallery. the feedback has been good as well. There are still a few areas to tweak and improve though. 

Now if I could just find time to create cohesive portfolios out of thousands of images, that would be great. That part is entirely tedious. 

My website is www.chaseboyerphoto.com. Sadly, I don’t have any skateboarding related stuff on there right now since I haven’t skated in a good while. However, if anyone is interested, feel free to have a look around my website and give me some feedback on how it operates and what I can do to make it more user friendly and stand out.  I have anywhere from portraits to cars, landscape and first response stuff and more on mine. Hopefully I’ll get to skate again and start shooting photos again soon so I can add that stuff.

I’m currently using Smugmug and really really like it. The unlimited photo hosting is pretty sweet. 

1 hour ago, Chase Boyer said:

My website is www.chaseboyerphoto.com. Sadly, I don’t have any skateboarding related stuff on there right now since I haven’t skated in a good while. However, if anyone is interested, feel free to have a look around my website and give me some feedback on how it operates and what I can do to make it more user friendly and stand out.  I have anywhere from portraits to cars, landscape and first response stuff and more on mine. Hopefully I’ll get to skate again and start shooting photos again soon so I can add that stuff.

I’m currently using Smugmug and really really like it. The unlimited photo hosting is pretty sweet. 

Theres a few things that stand out to me on your website

1. ditch the watermark. seriously. this only detracts from otherwise powerful images of the firefighters, and the lack of consistency in watermarks doesn't create a unified, cohesive brand identity. 

2. do you pay for smugmug? if so, I would take my money somewhere else, because their overbearing logos are no good. every website these days offers unlimited hosting 

3. continuing in that sense, the combination of the smugmug layout with watermarks makes it seem like you are in the business of selling stock images, which I don't think is the intent 

4. curate and define clear goals for your site. there are some galleries with a lot of images, and some with only two. then there is the booking section... these all compete.  if you want to generate leads from your site, put these things together and focus on concise galleries that emphasize a call to action to book. 

anthony your site is really rad, I love the first series. The home page is a lil busy but I think it mostly works, the site feels cohesive. 

also, dannyp, I almost always disagree with having the navigation tools over the photos themselves, I feel like its distracting and easily avoidable

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Shakezoola said:

also, dannyp, I almost always disagree with having the navigation tools over the photos themselves, I feel like its distracting and easily avoidable

I'd almost look at mine as an example of what not to do. It really needs starting again.

Good thread.

Recently made a site after putting it off for awhile. Feels good to start putting some work in order, but I find it challenging figuring out how to best sequence the photos. I have two different projects, however I'd say they're fairly similar in subject matter. I just think it's better to have two projects around 14ish photos each than one that's 28 photos. Looking to upload some more stuff, but want to nail these two first. I would say it's still a work in progress. There's a couple photos I'd like to re-scan. 

I've been using cargo collective as it's what I was using for my graphic design portfolio. Pretty simple to use, and offers the ability to customize it as you please. At this point I'm fine with it looking like everyone else's website. I don't think it's a bad thing for many sites to look similar, as the layout shouldn't take away from the work. I personally prefer to view one image at a time, rather than a scrolling list. That way you're not seeing the cut off images that are before and after, you can appreciate one photo at a time.

C&C always appreciated.

www.cargocollective.com/sometimeperhaps

• Like 2

On 1/25/2018 at 11:00 PM, AnthonyAllison said:

Theres a few things that stand out to me on your website

1. ditch the watermark. seriously. this only detracts from otherwise powerful images of the firefighters, and the lack of consistency in watermarks doesn't create a unified, cohesive brand identity. 

2. do you pay for smugmug? if so, I would take my money somewhere else, because their overbearing logos are no good. every website these days offers unlimited hosting 

3. continuing in that sense, the combination of the smugmug layout with watermarks makes it seem like you are in the business of selling stock images, which I don't think is the intent 

4. curate and define clear goals for your site. there are some galleries with a lot of images, and some with only two. then there is the booking section... these all compete.  if you want to generate leads from your site, put these things together and focus on concise galleries that emphasize a call to action to book. 

Thank you for the feedback, the only reason I watermark in my first response galleries is to keep people from wanting to just click save and use it on their facebooks or whatever, rather than purchasing the images and allowing me to be able to afford to continue to go out and shoot those scenes..so I'm not exactly sure how I feel about ditching it completely. Maybe a smaller watermark that's more visually appealing? Maybe I need to just step out of my comfort zone from what I've always done and known to work.

Yes, I pay for Smugmug. I never have really realized all the branding till you mentioned it come to think of it. I think the most appealing thing about their hosting for me really is the unlimited hosting and ability for my customers to easily order prints from online. I haven't really found anything that does what I need it to do like allowing my customers to order prints, but then again, I haven't really looked either. I'f you have any suggestions for hosts to check out, feel free to recommend them to me

Number 3 is another thing I didn't really realize until you mentioned it. But you're correct, that's not the intent there.

Number 4 has been a hard thing for me to figure out. Still working on it. I will look into maybe cutting back on the galleries that have a lot.  I'm not sure if you're referring to the firefighting stuff or not, but I'm trying to actually keep my firefighting stuff as a separate entity from my other photography.

Thanks again for your feedback man, it is greatly appreciated. Hopefully in the end it will help me get where I want to go with my work.

On 2/11/2018 at 6:13 PM, Shakezoola said:

finally got my site together! feedback appreciated

http://andrewkodama.com/

dude, sweet. this one got me stoked - i used to love looking at everyone's site back in the day. i love the collages and how the background changes in certain galleries. only thing that stands out to me as something i'd change is that all the galleries are vertical-scroll oriented, while the "drifting" one is a click to advance slideshow that breaks the cohesion. also the a/miss gallery is very short compared the others, although i absolutely love the photos and concept you're going for.

• Like 1

On 1/26/2018 at 9:17 AM, rad said:

how did i miss this... great, simple website. i would only ask that instead of opening a lightbox, that when you click the images, it advances to the next photo. this is because having to click a small text "next" button is imprecise. otherwise i just want more photos and galleries because your photos are awesome. 

On 2/12/2018 at 8:01 PM, AnthonyAllison said:

dude, sweet. this one got me stoked - i used to love looking at everyone's site back in the day. i love the collages and how the background changes in certain galleries. only thing that stands out to me as something i'd change is that all the galleries are vertical-scroll oriented, while the "drifting" one is a click to advance slideshow that breaks the cohesion. also the a/miss gallery is very short compared the others, although i absolutely love the photos and concept you're going for.

I hella appreciate the feedback! The photographs are laid out differently according to series because the presentation is linked to the /content. In the "date stamped" set, the energy of the photographs is more of like looking through memories, where they're all sort of collaged together in this non-linear, almost mesy way. The "Drifting" series reflects a much more intentional mindset in which i want the viewer to look at each photo on their own without any distractions. the photos in that series are all linked and the sequence matters but i still want the viewer to only be focusing on one photo at a time.

On 2/12/2018 at 11:07 PM, AnthonyAllison said:

how did i miss this... great, simple website. i would only ask that instead of opening a lightbox, that when you click the images, it advances to the next photo. this is because having to click a small text "next" button is imprecise. otherwise i just want more photos and galleries because your photos are awesome. 

Thanks! I feel like photo sites should be simple, as it's just a showcase.

I agree with the clicking rather than lightbox....I just need to figure out how to do that. I know the next button isn't ideal. 

Will hopefully be adding some new stuff by the end of the summer. I don't shoot as much in the winter/when the weather isn't nice. I'd still like to go through and edit some of the stuff that's up there now and maybe add and remove a couple images. I also have a couple ideas for projects in my head that would be nice to start, however they deal with talking to people and shooting portraits, both of which I don't have much experience with. 

2 hours ago, speed_bumpington said:

not a website, but if any of you guys still use tumblr im scanning the last 4 years or so from my stylus epic. im also trying to make a bunch of smallish prints, like max 8x10 if anyone is trying to trade some! skating related or not

https://danielpasminski.tumblr.com/

loving these, this one rules, tumblr_p4y7ibATwI1x799t1o1_1280.jpg

Heres mine I made using squarespace.

https://friendlyfilmer.com/photo/

I wouldn't consider any of my photos actually "good" but for the past couple years I've been trying to get more in touch with photography since I'm mainly filming skating and other things. Just trying to improve through trial and error and get feedback from people as much as I can.

For the photo section I made separate pages for the types of 35mm film I was using, and a whole section just for Digital (which definitely needs some updating haha). I used a grid gallery and organized them to what I thought was the best way to showcase the images as thumbnails. You can still click on each image to see them individually. 

Check it out!