SkatePerception

Nice to see the forum up and running, haven't skated in years but like to take photos still. Here's some from a trip to Indonesia I did.

Critique welcomed.

27033366692_4fcf94139a_k.jpg

27363216254_8d95457403_k.jpg

27976446045_21e2a634dd_k.jpg

• Like 2

Last one is pretty epic.

Yooo This is wild! First one seems like it's spiraling, makes for a cool visual. I'm glad you had some people in the shot for perspective (that really makes it for me) 

Second one is really bright and love the colors you pulled out. HDR? I would say don't be scared to leave some more shadows, maybe even take a look at it in B&W. It's a great snap, and I think its really well put together. 

Third one is so wild. I did a image search and saw some similar snaps from that perspective, But i really think you captured the whole image best. I would love to see if you had another image maybe tilted up a bit more to get those lines to the edges. I could see this working with less of the for ground rock infront and the lines pushed to the corner some how. 

• Like 1

@tats yeah when I look at these now I feel that they're over processed. The second isn't HDR but I've shot it in raw and reduced the highlights. The more I reduced the more the clouds stood out, I couldn't help myself. When I look at the shadows though I can see I should have reduced the blacks.

I don't think I can be objective when I judge the third, but I do think it looks over saturated on my phone screen but it looks dull to me on my laptop. Perhaps I need to have it calibrated. I do have a few more shots I but I recall this being the best. 

My girlfriend hates the little orange rock in left foreground. I have a canvas of it in my living area so we see it almost constantly. I may have a shot with more sky Ill have a look and see. It would be interesting to process these again from scratch and see where I end up. 

Yeah I'm highly confused as to the orientation of the landscape in the first one. That sign on the right is especially off putting. For some reason I though I was looking down a cliff. Other two came out great too. I also think the second could use some more blacks. Just a bit less detail recovery or brightness increases in the shadows. Or possibly the lens flare kind of washed stuff out?

@kid

You're looking down the slope into the crater of a volcano, the sign is next to a cliff edge that drops a few hundred meters into the volcano where there's a sulfur mine.