SkatePerception
Sign in to follow this  
ibm5100

HD clip, transferred to mini DV ??

I have a 4:3 clip filmed on my canon 60d. I wanted to transfer it to a mini DV tape and log it as if it was filmed on a Mini DV camera. Does anyone have any experience with something like this?  

I do not think that this is possible? 

Let me know if I am wrong but that makes my head want to explode. 

Your 60d has a video out port and a stereo video cable should came with it if you bought it new.

Then just follow these steps:http://support-th.canon-asia.com/contents/TH/EN/8200835500.html

but instead of the tv, you use a mini-dv camera with a video-in port. Not all cameras do, so check for that feature if you need to buy one.

Then do whatever the camera requires to record a video input on a tape and capture that tape through whatever program you use otherwise.

But yeah, like the guy above me, I don't really see the point and it's probably quicker/easier to do in post. If you want to get 'dat vx feel', you won't, because that actually is mostly defined by the sensors and processing that sd cameras use. Most likely you'll just end up with a low-res interlaced version of your footage that otherwise looks exactly the same.

Don't waste your time. I tried to do this recently and it wasn't worth the effort. But I basically logged the HD clip normally, cropped it to 4:3 in FCP, wrote it to a mini DV tape, then captured the tape. The newly captured SD footage looked almost identical to the cropped 1080p clip I started with. It was a waste of time.

I ended up doing it last night,  very similar to you doyle just with sony vegas rather than FPC. 

Yeah, ended up with pretty much exactly what Robert K. said. 

I knew i wouldn't get a vx feel but wanted to see what i could do to make the clip work somewhat better.

Definitely didn't really work well,  but it was an interesting process to try. Here's what i got.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2AGxQpnAZ_o&feature=youtu.be