SkatePerception

I've recently been using a VX2100 to capture footage from the VX1000 (TRV19 having other issues). Capturing had been normal until glitches became more frequent. I've been using a fairly new VX1000 so I thought it could have been glitches during recording, but other people began having issues capturing footage with my equipment, and likewise footage off my camera was normal most of the time. Tonight I put a tape in, glitched, put another tape in and captured normally, then tried the first tape and encountered the same glitches at the same timecode. I jogged around before and after the mark and had no issues. Paused the tape on the glitch and inspected the magnetic strip to find scratches and crinkles. 

It appears as though the VX2100 is damaging tapes during playback. Has anyone else experienced this issue? 

It's possible that the 2100 is the culprit. If it's tune up time, tension/alignment off. So you've also seen this result on other peoples tapes when they use your 2100 to capture? Same physical damage?

Fortunately, no one else's tapes were damaged as badly as this one, so the issue is intermittent, but I did damage two or three of my own trying to diagnose the issue. Any recommendations on DIY maintenance? General quote? 

Safe to say I won't be capturing with the 2100 anytime soon... but what about using it to record? Big no or trial and error?

Thanks for the reply, glad to be here!

Hey, no, record and playback are the same in terms of the mechanics. If it eats tapes in one condition, it'll eat them in the other, unfortunately. It's not common for that cam to have intermittent mechanical issues. There's one possibility that comes to mind though. There are 2 Slider Assemblies...the Pinch Slider and the Brake Slider that are responsible for a good deal of the timing and operation of mechanical parts on the deck. Hard to explain without visual aids but now and then they are forced out of whack and the tape can't load properly/fully, so it doesn't run smoothly through the tape path, damaging the tape. Not a DIY I'm afraid. Basically the deck  gets stripped down, identify and replace the culprit(s), and reset the timing/reassemble. Could be something entirely different but I've seen this enough time so that it's the first place I'd look. $175 to $225 is enough range to cover most other possibilities and give it the balance of a tune up and good cleaning. If you'd like me to have a look, email me and I'll shoot you the form to send with it. The 2100 is solid as a rock. Once serviced, you can expect a good deal of time before it'll need anything again.

I think it's worth the maintenance, too. Love the camera and got a good deal on it so ~$200 is reasonable. May not be this week or next but I will definitely reach out for that repair form. Thanks again for the help!