SkatePerception
twinskates

Scanner for 35mm

Not really too sure if what I have is anything too fancy, but I bought an Epson v550 a couple months ago for ~170 and its been good for what I need from it (35mm negatives, drawings, etc).

Been looking around also. Heard really good things about epson series of scanners. Wish you could buy a pakon for cheap..

I have an epson v600 and its solid. Fast, reliable, and honestly easy to travel with. My only peeve is that sometimes with images at night or darker images it crop them real bad and I haven't found a fix for that yet, but thats rare like 1/36 dark shots it happens

I've never had much fun scanning on my V600, at least with 35mm. It's slow and I never got the scans as sharp as I'd like, but I have seen people get good results from them. I think you just need to take your time and expect to spend almost an hour per roll. Dedicated 35mm scanners are pretty expensive though, I think you'd be looking around $800+ for a Pakon or those Nikon ones. 

Found this tutorial to be helpful. 

To anyone in the epson scanner game,

switch to negative sleeves that are 6 frames long, (rather then 5 frames) it’s the maximum length for epson negative holders, thus holding your negatives as flat as possible even if they are curled. 

This is the most worth while advice I can give. It made a huge difference in my scans and all it does it hold the negatives more effectively. I used a 4490 and a 4650? I think, I don’t shoot film anymore really, once in the past few years now. 

Edit: also used viewscan? I think that’s what it’s called, i really don’t use it anymore as I don’t scan anything anymore really but it’s worth the investment to gain more control of epson scanner controls.

I've never used them, but I remember someone (Julien?) used to recommend a holder by betterscanning.com. They have anti-newton ring glass and keep your negs flat which are supposed to result in better scans. I believe their height is also optimized for the chosen scanner, so it's as in focus as it can get. Might be worth looking into if you end up with a flatbed.

• Like 1

I picked up a Nikon Coolscan 4000 off Ebay for like $300. My 35mm scans have never looked better, barely even have to sharpen them for print and I get 4000 dpi files, which translates to roughly 12x18 at 300dpi for print. I use Vuescan for the software.

Before the Nikon, I was using a V700 and was never happy with 35mm scans even with the betterscanning glass. I love it for medium and large format but no so much for 35mm.

7 hours ago, Mikon said:

I've never used them, but I remember someone (Julien?) used to recommend a holder by betterscanning.com. They have anti-newton ring glass and keep your negs flat which are supposed to result in better scans. I believe their height is also optimized for the chosen scanner, so it's as in focus as it can get. Might be worth looking into if you end up with a flatbed.

Definitely going to look into that.  The negative holders that come with the epsons are pretty flimsy. 

On 2/5/2018 at 12:29 AM, ianfilms said:

Heres two just raw color negative scans thats I scanned this week. At 3200 ppi. 

img229.tif

img234.tif

I get some weird error message with this link.