SkatePerception
Sign in to follow this  
SteveLaClair

The Flat Earth Video

I feel this video deserves a discussion given the degree of production that went into it given the audience of this site.

What are your thoughts on it?  I'm still pretty torn. 

Pros:

- Always a Ty Evans fan even if I don't like every last piece of his work, more so in the past few years but I think he's helped push the creative boundaries that at minimum trickles down to dudes that even make your basic vx video

- Independent project - everybody that broke themselves off knew that they were gonna get an over-the-top production from Ty and weren't roped into participation via their sponsor.

- Self funded... I have a difficult time wrapping my head around how that was possible, especially considering a van and multiple engine failures worked their way into the budget

- The skating was pretty insane

Cons:

- It's re-watchability for me is pretty low... I ordered it and had a few friends over, we watched it once then hit a few select parts again and that was that

- Some of the weird imagery scenes went on far beyond how long I thought they would, especially the 360 cam stuff would have been really neat if shrunk down

- The transitions were beat to death in Michael Pulizzi's, was impossible to watch again

Overall, I'm glad he's still doing what he does

• Like 1

Even though I agree with all of your pros, the cons outweigh them, and this video (in my opinion) is one of the worst, most unwatchable pieces of skate media ever made.

• Like 4

Damn doyle haha shit I still havent seen it
Safe to say its not worth the cost then?

2 hours ago, Rolf said:

Damn doyle haha shit I still havent seen it
Safe to say its not worth the cost then?

Please don't buy it

• Like 1

On 2/1/2018 at 7:28 PM, SteveLaClair said:

- Self funded... I have a difficult time wrapping my head around how that was possible, especially considering a van and multiple engine failures worked their way into the budget

Overall, I'm glad he's still doing what he does

21 hours ago, doyle said:

Even though I agree with all of your pros,

53 minutes ago, doyle said:

Please don't buy it

I must admit I didn't see the video, but I have a strong feeling Ty's kids are going to resent his decisions a whole lot by the time they are choosing a university to go to.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, doyle said:

Even though I agree with all of your pros, the cons outweigh them, and this video (in my opinion) is one of the worst, most unwatchable pieces of skate media ever made.

quoted for truth. 

and I generally love or can at least appreciate things that are way out there, however this production was ridiculous and unbearable. 

Just watched the trailer. Really don't get the point of the name and seemed way over the top,

The video sucked without a doubt. but is it worse than we are blood?

i vote no.

9 hours ago, jay. said:

The video sucked without a doubt. but is it worse than we are blood?

i vote no.

I think it's WAY worse than We Are Blood. At least We Are Blood isn't trying to be a "normal" skate video (intro -- parts -- credits). It's like a bunch of tour montages essentially, and 1000 times more watchable for me than The Flat Earth. Not to say that I like it, but I don't hate it as passionately as I hate The Flat Earth.

• Thanks 1

On 2/13/2018 at 8:58 PM, johndanielson said:

I didn't really have a problem with the video but im considered ancient in skateboard years so what the fuck do I know

Let's be honest, did you watch it more than once?  I think that's my hangup with it.  But part of me thinks that wasn't really his main concern either.

Also, you're old.

does anyone know where to watch /download the extras, BTS. (i dont use itunes, bought it on vimeo)

I watched the trailer 15 seconds in, and shut it off.

In theory Steve's pros make me really want to watch it, but in practice I can do no such thing.