SkatePerception
Sign in to follow this  
sanur

BMPCC?

How many of you use the Blackmagic Pocket Cinema and what have you made with it? I just got one and wanna see what options are out there for using it for skating in terms of lens, stability, etc.

I'm pretty sure Ben Ericson was using one back in a day: 

Is he still here on SP?

I remember seeing a few coalatree videos on vimeo with a bmpcc and speedbooster/manybrand combo, and it looked pretty incredible. I did some crop calculations a while ago and a lensbaby 5.8mm without a booster on the bmpcc should have good distortion too. 

Downsides are many with the bmpcc though, but I did consider it for a while

-terrible screen, no evf

-terrible battery life, dead pixel issues

-super high crop so you need a speed booster

-no 60fps mode

But the image quality is absolutely incredible so if you can deal with the issues, you can make some great stuff.

On 2018-02-07 at 12:22 PM, Steveo715 said:

I remember seeing a few coalatree videos on vimeo with a bmpcc and speedbooster/manybrand combo, and it looked pretty incredible. I did some crop calculations a while ago and a lensbaby 5.8mm without a booster on the bmpcc should have good distortion too. 

Downsides are many with the bmpcc though, but I did consider it for a while

-terrible screen, no evf

-terrible battery life, dead pixel issues

-super high crop so you need a speed booster

-no 60fps mode

But the image quality is absolutely incredible so if you can deal with the issues, you can make some great stuff.

If you got the newer BMMCC https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1137292-REG/blackmagic_design_cinecammichdmft_micro_cinema_camera.html it has 1080p 60fps and you could buy the SmallHD Focus Canon Kit https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1338113-REG/smallhd_mon_focus_lpe6_kit_kit_includes_focus.html and have an awesome outdoor monitor and ability to power the camera with sony batteries. The Lensbaby fisheye isn't actually that wide and the distortion is pretty shitty. Ultimate lens would obviously be the Canon 8-15mm with the Speedbooster https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1174582-REG/metabones_mb_spef_bmpcc_bt1_metabones_canon_ef_lens.html but the Rokinon/Bower/Samyang fisheye would be a cheaper option.

This video is with the speed booster and Peleng 8mm fisheye. The flare aren't that bad at lower apertures (like f/16) and i think the newer ones have better coatings.

Obviously a lensbaby 5.8mm wont be as sharp as a canon 8-15, but it'll be a hell of a lot wider than a bmmcc/speedbooster/manybrand, which would be a 1.75 crop and less wide when compared to a canon apsc with manybrand, something thats not very wide to begin with. thats honestly something that would probably be difficult to deal with for most. 

42 minutes ago, Steveo715 said:

Obviously a lensbaby 5.8mm wont be as sharp as a canon 8-15, but it'll be a hell of a lot wider than a bmmcc/speedbooster/manybrand, which would be a 1.75 crop and less wide when compared to a canon apsc with manybrand, something thats not very wide to begin with. thats honestly something that would probably be difficult to deal with for most. 

Its not the sharpness, its the distortion and wideness. the lens baby has a weird bubbly distortion that just isn't attractive.

3 hours ago, nomadskate said:

Its not the sharpness, its the distortion and wideness. the lens baby has a weird bubbly distortion that just isn't attractive.

on apsc, yeah its pretty bad, but the stuff i've seen with it cropped to 4/3 on a m4/3 camera looks close to mk1 distortion imo. with the 2.78 crop of the bmpcc, you'll avoid the edges where the distortion gets really high and it should look better 

this is the lensbaby on a 2.3 crop, if you hold your fingers up and crop it it looks pretty nice

On 2/6/2018 at 10:12 AM, sanur said:

How many of you use the Blackmagic Pocket Cinema and what have you made with it? I just got one and wanna see what options are out there for using it for skating in terms of lens, stability, etc.

I would recommend the Metabones Speed Booster and the Canon 8-15. The Peleng 8mm is an option if you can't afford the Canon lens. Honestly, the pocket is a pain to use for skating but the results can be really nice if you have the time and patience.

If you can find a used Eazy Handle, I would buy that. Get an EVF for the back and a wide lens so you can actually get stabile looking footage. 

On 2/6/2018 at 12:24 PM, hdx said:

I'm pretty sure Ben Ericson was using one back in a day: 

Is he still here on SP?

I got me my own BMPCC last summer. I really like the color science and what you got inside this little form factor.

I like it as a B-roll Camera and it's perfect for styleshots. 

You definitely need to pair it with a Metabones Speedbooster, to get the best out of this baby.

I've got mine paired with the Samyang 8mm. Pretty decent. But I think the Canon 8-15mm is a little wider in the end.

Here is a side-by-side comparison:

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/mv1evmi20xzzg7k/AAAKAq5ubr1Xd8ZfgQzn_xR9a?dl=0

I will soon put out a skatevideo, that was shot completely on that camera. I shot it over the curse of last summer.

Here's a few short clips that will be in that edit (nevermind the sound, sometimes it's with and sometimes without an external mic):

• Like 1

19 hours ago, 1pjladd2 said:

I got me my own BMPCC last summer. I really like the color science and what you got inside this little form factor.

I like it as a B-roll Camera and it's perfect for styleshots. 

You definitely need to pair it with a Metabones Speedbooster, to get the best out of this baby.

I've got mine paired with the Samyang 8mm. Pretty decent. But I think the Canon 8-15mm is a little wider in the end.

Here is a side-by-side comparison:

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/mv1evmi20xzzg7k/AAAKAq5ubr1Xd8ZfgQzn_xR9a?dl=0

I will soon put out a skatevideo, that was shot completely on that camera. I shot it over the curse of last summer.

Here's a few short clips that will be in that edit (nevermind the sound, sometimes it's with and sometimes without an external mic):

Is this in the video dynamic range setting then?