SkatePerception
Steak

Potters Cannabis Co X Compton Initiative - Non-Skate Related

Hey everyone, Its safe to assume there are tons of people who have been apart of this site for a long time and have branched out from just filming skating. I'm one of those people. I feel this forum can and should cater to those people as well. That being said, I'll be the first to post some non-skate content. This is a video I was commissioned to cover this huge event where over 1,000 people came together and volunteered their time to give back to the community. They painted schools, houses, did yard work and much more. Here is the recap I made for Potters Cannabis Co.

Shot with: RED Epic Dragon, Canon 24-7- F2.8, Canon &0-200 F2.8

Edited with Adobe Premiere Pro CC 2017

This is the first video I've produced completely on my own using a RED so I'm still learning.

If you guys have any critiques, have at it, if you just want to say hello, go for it. Interacting with like minded people is what this forum is all about so lets use it to encourage and help one another in everything that we do.

Thanks

any critiques? Id love to see this forum have an active community of people actually helping people and not just lurking. bump

a big thing you have to ask yourself does this make sense to the average viewer. for me, I think a basic voiceover interview would have helped miles for this to give a basic explainer on what is going on so I wouldn't have to guess. as for technical, some of the shots at the beginning were underexposed but with raw im sure you could bring them up in post (but they should have been shot correctly in the first place). try installing a lut to your camera so you can better judge exposure while shooting. Also some of the shots the shadows were raised too high, yet the shots from 31-33s are not enough to fit the look. A lut can go a long way but you have to go back and tweak per shot if need be to have some consistency. And next time for the blurry shots, do them in camera or find a better way (probably just blurring more) because to me you can tell its fake.

for some inspiration look no further than skate videographers chris mulhern and jason hernandez.

the b-roll is always around the script or dialogue. once you figure out what you want to say, you can figure out what you want to shoot, etc.

• Thanks 1

THANK YOU! I agree with you on all fronts.

I went into this project with almost no information at all. I was told, "meet here and your going to film us paint a house". I had no plan going into the project because I didn't know what the client wanted and neither did he. I had a shotgun mic with a 6foot cable for sound so i couldn't keep that on and a RED and just walk around with it. I interviewed 2 people at the end of the shoot and didnt get any good dialog from it. the video needed to be under a minute because it was for instagram.

those are my excuses and I know they arent good ones...

as far as the CC and grade. I did little to none. I dropped a LUT on an adjustment layer as a temp to show the client and ask what kind of look he wanted and he just said "Looks great, can you send me the file?" which is not at all what i was expecting. it was a low paying job so i didnt bother to put any more work into it and just sent it as is.

as for the blur effect, your right. it looks bad! haha

I wish SP was back online when I was working on this so I could have asked for ideas then! haha

• Like 1

Haha always funny when that shit happens, send a rough cut to a client and they say "Looks Great send it over!" lol

I was thinking the same thing about the interview, but knowing this was to be posted on Instagram I think the rules are a little different and the vid did exactly what it was supposed to do which was keep my attention. Since it is on ig and the viewer can see exactly what the video is intended to mean based on the other posts/bio/etc, I don't think the interview is necessary to better the vid 
good job on er get paid

• Thanks 1