SkatePerception

New to the world of HD camcorders, what reason would I have to buy a P2 camera over an AVC? I always hear about skate/snowboard filmers using the HVX200 and HPX170, why not use something like an AC160 for the cheaper and easier-to-read cards?

I haven't been able to figure this one out either,  personally I prefer SD cards. I film with an HMC-150 and love it.

Ive noticed a lot of skateboard filmers use HPX-170's, but especially now that most cameras take SD cards i don't really see the point of dealing with (or buying) P2

avdhd is 8 bit, p2hd is 10 bit with higher bitrate

basically the hvx and hpx should give slightly better image due to less compression, but not by much 

• Thanks 1

i think the weight difference in the hmc vs the hpx outweighs having worse compression especially when everything is on the web. I've never seen a comparison with the two cameras using the same scene files but im sure there isn't a huge difference. even the mic's sound similar.

The mics on the HMC150 and HPX170 are the exact same. The reason people use mainly p2 for filming asking is its 10 bit and the color space is 4:2:2 where on the HMC it’s 4:2:0 so you should get more color on P2 and a little higher quality. Now do I think it’s noticable? Not really. Hower depending on your editing setup P2 format is much easier then AVCHD 

The AVCHD codec on HMC150 isn't giving you too much headroom to play with it in post. The key for the quality is to nail the exposure and white balance on set. I personally owned a HMC151 and I wouldn't go with HPX since P2 are outdated and overpriced even today. The potential quality improvement is not worth the hassle.

Keep in mind that HPX and HMC are both really old cameras and they are nowhere near today's mirrorless or DSLRs image quality.

Regarding the workflow - to me it was a thing back then when older computers struggled with AVCHD and P2 was way smoother to edit. Right now, pretty standard computer will handle AVCHD without any problems.

BTW. I'd rather see people jumping on some new interesting cameras like JVC LS300 which has Super35 sensor and MFT mount giving you the ability to use virtually any lens with it. You can get crazy fisheye setup with it since manybrand + speedbooster is wider or really close to the Xtreme.

the best part of the scene files are that you can get your desired look in camera so that you don't have to play with it in post. also as long as you white balance correctly. i use a c100 for work and that shoots c-log in avchd and i haven't had too much trouble with the colour breaking up.

the biggest draw that no other cameras have yet are the width of the fisheye with sharp vig, ccd sensor (or a global shutter cmos), and a zoom rocker. im pretty sure there are cmos camcorders that panasonic makes that can record at 1080p 60p but they have a rolling shutter.

the panasonic camcorders have a look that is the closest thing to the vx1000 in hd format, everything else takes away from the skating. you're more focused on the quality than the tricks.

20 minutes ago, jordanpalmerwiens said:

the best part of the scene files are that you can get your desired look in camera so that you don't have to play with it in post. also as long as you white balance correctly. i use a c100 for work and that shoots c-log in avchd and i haven't had too much trouble with the colour breaking up.

the biggest draw that no other cameras have yet are the width of the fisheye with sharp vig, ccd sensor (or a global shutter cmos), and a zoom rocker. im pretty sure there are cmos camcorders that panasonic makes that can record at 1080p 60p but they have a rolling shutter.

the panasonic camcorders have a look that is the closest thing to the vx1000 in hd format, everything else takes away from the skating. you're more focused on the quality than the tricks.

This is all correct but I have the disagree on some of it. I used a Panasonic PX270 with an xtreme fisheye. 1080 60P. No rolling shutter. Sharp as anything. Hands down the best HD 1/3 chip Cam that still carries the skateboarding feel 

14 hours ago, Deathlens_fisheye_sales said:

This is all correct but I have the disagree on some of it. I used a Panasonic PX270 with an xtreme fisheye. 1080 60P. No rolling shutter. Sharp as anything. Hands down the best HD 1/3 chip Cam that still carries the skateboarding feel 

Footage? proof is in the pudding. Also even though it may not appear to have rolling shutter, you'll see it when flashes go off, which is pretty common with skate filming that theres going to be a photographer there.

One more aspect, that no one mentioned yet, is that AVCHD is an interframe codec. Which 1) makes any quick movements look muddy due to the way th clips are compressed and 2) will not run as smooth in your editing software, since it needs way more encoding power than intraframe codecs, which the HVX 200 records in.