SkatePerception
adambanks

Century MK1 fisheye - different looking vignetting on vx1

Recently my mk1's front glass got destroyed when it was smacked off my vx. I purchased a new front element from Century Optics and after the headache of installing it, the vignetting looked quite different in footage (see comparison pictures below). I've noticed other peoples vignetting look like this before, but I assumed it depended on the manufacture date of the lens. My lens is quite old (no Schneider logo, only century) so I figure thats why it had the "mostly black" vig. With the new front element, the vig has a "white line", which I personally find a little less appealing. I'm curious as to why this is, so if anyone can shed some light on this it would be greatly appreaciated!

5a90dd48ab611_ScreenShot2018-02-19at10_20_37PM.thumb.png.bdc2fa4e2a7202875743432779d7ca91.png5a90dd415e0c0_ScreenShot2018-02-19at10_19_52PM.thumb.png.ff0a98731fb5164aaf42566a09ca0498.png

I might be completely wrong here, but I did see in some video a while back that there are two different glass types? Could it be that? I wouldn't be too bothered, to be honest. I used to crop my vig out a bit when doing my old skatepark edits.

i know for a fact they have changed their optical coatings a few times since the mk1 release, and with those different coatings comes different flare colors and i would assume vignetting . 

• Like 1

Call me crazy but it looks like the "white ring" you're referring to is a reflection due to the completely different lighting in the 2 examples. are you sure its always there? I've never heard of anything like this before.

25 minutes ago, Steak said:

Call me crazy but it looks like the "white ring" you're referring to is a reflection due to the completely different lighting in the 2 examples. are you sure its always there? I've never heard of anything like this before.

Well it’s partially the exposure from the sun as well. But iv noticed this on a lot of the Xtremes as well there is a crip line right at the edge of each corner of vig. 

I see! The lens flares appear to be the same as they were before with the old glass (blue/green/purple), however I have seen different colours in other people's footage; One with a red lens flare, and one with an orange flare. 

Screen Shot 2018-02-24 at 11.38.56 PM.png

Screen Shot 2018-02-24 at 11.45.23 PM.png

2 hours ago, Deathlens_fisheye_sales said:

Well it’s partially the exposure from the sun as well. But iv noticed this on a lot of the Xtremes as well there is a crip line right at the edge of each corner of vig. 

not the exposure. I've compared the two front elements with the same settings and lighting conditions before.