SkatePerception
Sign in to follow this  
illegal freedom

Assistance with replacing front element on mk1?

Hey all, the front lens of mk1 is destroyed so I purchased a new one from Century.

I saw this little tutorial on youtube that is super helpful (https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=36&v=W2SUDumky7M) but unfortunately I am really struggling to remove my lens.

I have metal calipers, just like in the video, but god damn it just won't budge. I am reluctant to try brute force as that's rarely the solution, though maybe that's what I need to do in this instance?

Anyone have any experience with this process that can provide some useful suggestions?

Thanks in advance!

I did this a few years back when I needed to replace it originally and I had to get rid of a slight ding at the side of the casing. Other than that, I simply used two bent safety pins and a random nail (ghetto, I know) to remove the little threaded front part. I didn't use what that guy is using. 

I would suggest placing the bayo in a vice, so you have some leverage. Or get another pair of hands to hold it whilst you try unscrewing it.I simply had my old man help me and held it myself. When I did it recently I had to deal with another issue; damaged thread and another ding. Be careful if you have the same thing going on. 

But yeah, just get something to hold the bayo and just try to push it. It will eventually budge. 

calipers are definitely not the right tool for this, the points are thin and not designed for something like this at all

two small nails are better (that's what i've used in the past) , but if you can get snap ring pliers that will make front element removal a hell of a lot easier

• Like 1

Thanks for the replies! i ended up using calipers because thats what they had done in the video, but it required two people. 

I think the metal rim of my lens was slightly dinged + had some grit in the threads, both of which made it super difficult to unscrew, but I finally got it! stoked! Going to use it today for the first time!

Haha wow, clicked on this hoping I could share my tutorial video with you but I was stoked to see you already referred to it in the original post! The calipers were definitely a weird tool to fidget the front ring with but it seemed to be the best solution (two nails method almost sent my lens flying).

Glad you finally got your front element off my dude.

Here's the embedded tutorial vid for anyone else here on SP that's still looking to swap their front elements in the future!