SkatePerception
Sign in to follow this  
1pjladd2

VX 1000 - Glitchy Footage and Arrow Icon

Hey folks,

I've been to Barcelona last week with a "new" used VX 1K. When I was looking at playbacks via Edit Search the footage looked totally glitchy.

After checking the trick, I wasn't able to record. This little arrow icon appeared along with a beeping noise. After this I wasn't even able to do an Edit Search again.

Then I popped a new tape in there, filmed a little, checked the footage. But the same problem occured over and over again.

So in the end I stopped checking any footage at all. In hope to not damage the tape or cause any more glitches.

Yesterday I came back home and tried to capture the footage. It looked horribly glitchy and rendered unusable.
I even tried to capture with my VX. But it wouldn't let me do any operations with the tape deck since the arrow icon issue.

Any idea how to save those tapes and the footage?

IMG_1024.jpg

• Sad 1

Probably not. Once the footage is laid down, you got what you've got. If heads are blocked or tension/alignment are off, Supply Reel binding, even a bad Pinch Roller, you wind up with that time code drop or eject symbol. So it sounds like the cam needs some work. You can try 1 or 2 more playback cams to see if one handles it better than another but the result will likely be the same...sorry

• Thanks 1

This is what the footage looks like. It's a capture of one tape. First half of the tape looks fine, then it progressively gets worse.

That typically indicates tune up time. When tape tension drifts, it causes the tape to run high or low in the tape path...alignment issues. That blocking off to the left and audio drop are dead giveaways. It's normal wear and tear. With average use, a mini DV cam needs some level of a tune up pretty much every year. The first half is ok, but as the tape spools on the take up side, the tension issue starts and gets worse as it goes.

I'm afraid that's the case. If you try it on enough cams, you may find one that manage to find pick up a bit more than the others but, for the most part, you've got what you've got. Really sorry