SkatePerception
Sign in to follow this  
Paj

Dropping Frames Upon Capture VX2100

So a little background to my problem. About three months ago, I got back to my camera after traveling for a few months and found that when I went to capture, the footage seemed to be dropping frames after capturing. The strange thing was I could look into the viewfinder of my capture cam and the clip played back fine. I tested a tape a friend of mine had filmed with his camera, and was able to capture successfully so I decided it was my camera and sent it off for repairs. I was quoted 400 and told I needed a hole new tape deck basically, so I decided instead to buy a new VX off ebay which ended up being cheaper.

The new VX worked great for the first month or so of using it, but about a week ago I went to capture and found that again my clips were glitching in the form of dropped frames when capped but I was able to watch it smoothly through the viewfinder. I ran a head cleaning tape through my VX and Cap Cam and it then appeared to be working fine. Now I just went to peep some footy from yesterday, and while things I filmed at the beginning of the tape looked good, the last couple minutes or so of what I filmed (not the end of the tape, just the end of where i had filmed) is doing the same thing. Does anyone have any idea what might be going on?

$400 repair is insane, first off. What is the result if you cap with the 2100? Also what is your audio set to record at...12 bit or 16 bit?

10 minutes ago, Video Electronics said:

$400 repair is insane, first off. What is the result if you cap with the 2100? Also what is your audio set to record at...12 bit or 16 bit?

My thoughts exactly, I bought the new vx for a hundred less. I haven't tried capturing with the vx itself. I'm recording at 12 bit audio.

Can't really reason that one out. What are the chances that 2 VX2100's have exactly the same issue. But why will the cap cam work fine on someone elses tape. How can it appear to play fine if watching it on the cap cam, and drop frames in the computer. Just doesn't add up. I have to think there's a setting mismatch somewhere. Someone here will know I'm sure. Hang in there

14 minutes ago, Video Electronics said:

Can't really reason that one out. What are the chances that 2 VX2100's have exactly the same issue. But why will the cap cam work fine on someone elses tape. How can it appear to play fine if watching it on the cap cam, and drop frames in the computer. Just doesn't add up. I have to think there's a setting mismatch somewhere. Someone here will know I'm sure. Hang in there

again, my thoughts exactly. made even stranger by the fact that now part of a tape is fine but the other part is messed up. Now I'm thinking that my old one works too and im just doing something wrong.

Good thing you didn't drop $400 on it huh? Still blows me away. The average repair on a 2100 is usually about half that in here.

Try messaging a moderator in one of the filming forums maybe? You can't be the only guy that's had this problem