SkatePerception
Sign in to follow this  
twinskates

Kickflip Jersey

Shoot this yesterday, any thoughts?

Settings:

Two flashes one at his right (1/8) one at left (1/16) 

F 8 , ISO 800, Shutter 0"6  

IMG_7967.JPG

watch for that light under his foot. if you moved the barrier over little bit it would have been out of the shot and led to a cleaner composition. the eye often goes to the brightest part of the image first.

I'm also confused about why you chose the settings you did. you could have shot at a lower iso and bumped the power on your speed lights up. right could have been at (1/2) and the one at left (1/4) which would have gotten you down to iso 100 or 200. 

overall you did catch the skater at a good time. I enjoy the negative space about his head but some may find it awkward. 

1 hour ago, Filmero said:

watch for that light under his foot. if you moved the barrier over little bit it would have been out of the shot and led to a cleaner composition. the eye often goes to the brightest part of the image first.

I'm also confused about why you chose the settings you did. you could have shot at a lower iso and bumped the power on your speed lights up. right could have been at (1/2) and the one at left (1/4) which would have gotten you down to iso 100 or 200. 

overall you did catch the skater at a good time. I enjoy the negative space about his head but some may find it awkward. 

Totally agreed about the first part. I used an high iso to put an higher f stop in order to get those lights behind the skater smaller. 

The lower the flash power the most it freeze the action right tho?

Like 1/8 of the power freeze more than 1/2 for example?

In the future make sure you post this in "The Gallery". This section is primarily for discussion and not critiques.

(I'd move it there but I can't figure it out on this new layout)

On 3/14/2018 at 4:44 PM, twinskates said:

Totally agreed about the first part. I used an high iso to put an higher f stop in order to get those lights behind the skater smaller. 

The lower the flash power the most it freeze the action right tho?

Like 1/8 of the power freeze more than 1/2 for example?

yes the duration of the flash is longer when it is put at a higher power. But, skateboarding almost 100% of the time is not moving fast enough for the difference in duration In flash to matter.  Ive shot on full power multiple times and been sharp.