SkatePerception
TheVisitor

Good fisheye for AG-UX90?

I want to start filming using industry standard equipment which as you all know, is currently the Century Xtreme Fisheye paired with either a HPX170 or HMC150. Even though both these cameras are old by todays standards, a lot of the top companies/filmers in the industry are still using them(unless you're Ty) or some combination of DSLR. My budget is $3-5k and I want to jump into filming with something a little more modern that could shoot 60FPS at 1080p or 4K if needed and it seems like the UX90 might be my best choice? Unfortunately  Century doesn't make an Xtreme specifically for the UX90 but I'm curious if the '0HD-FEWA-AG' Xtreme will fit since it's just a continuation of the Panasonic HPX170/HMC150/AC130 etc. family of cameras?

I spoke to Century on the phone today and they told me that because the AG-UX90 are 67mm thread size camera, they would need to have their engineers custom make a back piece for the Xtreme(since it's intended for 72mm HPX170, HMC150 etc.). I was quoted roughly $500 and a 60-90 day manufacturing period. The gentlemen at Century did say it may be possible to just mount it using the 15mm rail support system though? 

Anyways, after doing some research on my own I came across this thread below that listed a few 67mm thread options. 

Opteka 0.4X HD2 Large Element Fisheye 

http://opteka.com/OPT4XPF.aspx

and 

Opteka Titanium Series 0.3X HD Ultra Fisheye

http://opteka.com/OPTSCFE.aspx

I would appreciate any info that can be provided on this or even recommendations on different cameras, possibly the AG-AC130/AG-AC90? 

Thank you.

Don't get the Opteka 0.4X HD2. Speaking from experience, its just a really weak wide angle lens. It's still confusing to me why they sell it like a 'fisheye'.

Do get the opteka titanium and maybe swing some spacers on there for preferred vignetting :ph34r: 

5 hours ago, jimklok said:

Don't get the Opteka 0.4X HD2. Speaking from experience, its just a really weak wide angle lens. It's still confusing to me why they sell it like a 'fisheye'.

Do get the opteka titanium and maybe swing some spacers on there for preferred vignetting :ph34r: 

It doesn't seem that bad? The OP in that thread I linked posted these results. 

Opteka even re-uploaded this test footage on their official youtube channel for it. I'm still on the fence on how I feel about Vig. Sometimes I think it looks pretty cool on HD and sometimes not. I grew on VX footage so it doesn't really bother me. 

I was thinking of picking up both. They are relatively cheap in comparison to Century's offerings. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Deathlens_fisheye_sales said:

The xtreme will 100% not fit it. 

Damn, that's a bummer. :( Do you have any suggestions then? I know the Xtreme fits the AG-AC160A and it can shoot 1080p 60fps. 

9 minutes ago, TheVisitor said:

Damn, that's a bummer. :( Do you have any suggestions then? I know the Xtreme fits the AG-AC160A and it can shoot 1080p 60fps. 

Yeah I sent you a message. The AC160A or my favorite the PX270