SkatePerception

filmed over my six weeks off from school for winter break in new jersey

It came out a little bit ago but SPs blocked on my school wifi so I never posted

We're working on a Travel Skateshop video with many of the same dudes ripping even harder. Coming summer stay tuned

lol im guessing its because sp has the word forums in it but thats funny. your shutter speeds are way too slow and the lens was often filthy (gotta check the camera, and front and back of the mark 1). songs were good, vibes of the homies were fun too, but theres a lot that could be finessed. just like general shakiness that can be helped through practice and planning out the shots with your skaters. also the slow shutter b-roll stuff worked sometimes but not every time. your light doesn't seem bright enough especially to be filming something like at 1:38 but it was probably off the cuff filming (this is where not using that clip comes in, video could be half the length and 2x better). skipped to the end of the video and saw more of the same kind of stuff i was talking about. another gripe is that the footage is really blue. hope you take some of this to heart but its just my opinion too and im not perfect. hope to see more in the future! on the right path

• Thanks 1

On 3/20/2018 at 12:50 PM, jordanpalmerwiens said:

lol im guessing its because sp has the word forums in it but thats funny. your shutter speeds are way too slow and the lens was often filthy (gotta check the camera, and front and back of the mark 1). songs were good, vibes of the homies were fun too, but theres a lot that could be finessed. just like general shakiness that can be helped through practice and planning out the shots with your skaters. also the slow shutter b-roll stuff worked sometimes but not every time. your light doesn't seem bright enough especially to be filming something like at 1:38 but it was probably off the cuff filming (this is where not using that clip comes in, video could be half the length and 2x better). skipped to the end of the video and saw more of the same kind of stuff i was talking about. another gripe is that the footage is really blue. hope you take some of this to heart but its just my opinion too and im not perfect. hope to see more in the future! on the right path

Stoked to see you're actively engaging here! If SP points were still a thing, I'd give you some. haha

Anyways, though i appreciate Jordan giving his critique, I don't agree with it 100%. To each his own. I actually really like everything about this! The cool blue color palette made it feel cold, as it was being up in NJ that time of year. I loved all the music choices and I like that you chose a stylistic theme (the slow shutter b-roll) and used it consistently throughout without overdoing it in my opinion. My only real critique would be that your exposures are kind of all over the place. Alot of times over exposed and sometimes under. There was even a moment when you filmed 2 tricks at 1 spot and played them back to back, the lighting didn't look like it had changed too drastically yet 1 was over and the other was under. Keep an eye on that and even if you forget, simply adjusting it in post to try and match the shots would help tremendously. Also, the fisheye filming could use a little work. It's not awful, I'd say you should work on steadiness a little bit and thinking about how you want the shot composed before, and after the trick is landed. for example: 0:45 when he lands the boardslide. That framing doesnt seem thought out. Maybe it was but I kind of doubt it. Otherwise great job! It's awesome that you filmed this 10 minute edit in 6 weeks! Bravo

• Thanks 1

I agree with Steak on the white balance for sure.  If you're filming in Jerz in March, it should have a cold tone.  If I'm filming in New York I want it to look like New York, in California I want a warmer tone. Also the colors of the architecture make a big difference.  Architecture in NY is generally colder colors than say California or Florida. 

• Like 1