SkatePerception
Sign in to follow this  
JSantiago

John Young Gems 2018 - Contest Edit

Local skateshop threw a contest this weekend & here's the recap!! 

(Critique please) 

reminded me of a thrasher skatepark meet up video and what i mean by that is that it was good but predictable. i know this was a contest but it was very document-y. skateparks are where you experiment with filming, try new things, because you can fuck up and its not that big of a deal and you learn a lot. just force yourself out of the mold sometimes and film a trick to make it look its best. also wasn't into the font choice. okay song. hope this helps!

• Like 1

what i meant by make it look its best is that its super exciting and scary to do tricks sometimes! so put that energy into the filming as much as the skater does, channel their energy and it'll also be exciting for the viewer. these angles were steady but just kind of, 'okay that happened'.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

This footage looks good. Do you film in 1080 60i and throw it in a 1080 60p timeline or is this 720p60 upscaled to 1080?

• Like 1

On 3/20/2018 at 4:53 PM, jordanpalmerwiens said:

reminded me of a thrasher skatepark meet up video and what i mean by that is that it was good but predictable. i know this was a contest but it was very document-y. skateparks are where you experiment with filming, try new things, because you can fuck up and its not that big of a deal and you learn a lot. just force yourself out of the mold sometimes and film a trick to make it look its best. also wasn't into the font choice. okay song. hope this helps!

I agree with you entirely. I definitely played it a little too safe with this one so on the next one I'll try to throw in more creative elements to hopefully bring it over that one notch more. Thanks for the feedback!!

On 3/28/2018 at 8:07 PM, JonPlarr said:

This footage looks good. Do you film in 1080 60i and throw it in a 1080 60p timeline or is this 720p60 upscaled to 1080?

Thank you! It's 1080/60 straight from the camera to premiere; no scaling or anything. 

• Like 1