SkatePerception
AlexJHorton

Which DSLR fisheye setup?

Hi yall, long time no post.

i have been filming with an hpx170 and the new century mk2 bayo for the better part of a year now. 

Having said that, im not a fan and i cant find an xtreme fisheye in good condition. I am looking for a fisheye setup that is comparable to the xtreme. I have seen some with the canon 8-15 that loom pretty comparable, but not sure if they have full frame or not, canon, panasonic or nikon, etc. consider budget to be $2000 for fisheye and cam. Ill need a mic, screen, and handle too so hopefully if possible $2k for all but ill be realistic.

can anyone point me in the right direction?

thanks!

The Canon 8-15 is (in my opinion) the only fisheye that can compare to the Xtreme. Actually, there's a Nikon 8-15 as well which I'm sure is comparable, but I know absolutely nothing about Nikon bodies.

If you get a Canon full frame body, you'll have basically full circle vignetting at 8mm and you can zoom all the way in to no vig at 15mm. With an APS-C sensor (1.6x crop) you'll have a lot of vig (HPX/MK2-ish but softer) at 8mm. There are SO many options once you decide what size sensor you want, but price is usually a determining factor.

If you want full frame I'd look at 5D MK2 (older camera, 30fps max, probably around $500 used) or 6D  (a bit newer, shoots 720p60, $600ish used, $1000ish new).

If you want APS-C there are TONS of cheap new/used options that shoot 720p60.

Any M4/3 camera with a 0.71x speedbooster (you can get a chinese one for cheap) + manybrand 8mm. Gets you wider than Canon APS-C, almost to the point where you can see the vig. If you like vignette you can also find 0.64x Speedbooster but it comes at a high price.

I used Panasonic G7 + Mitakon Lens Turbo II + Samyang 8mm in below video. Right now I upgraded my focal reducer to Viltrox EF-M2 which is slightly wider (0.71x vs 0.72x).

Another cool setup might be M4/3 + focal reducer + Peleng 8mm - it isn't the best quality glass due to flaring but it's so damn wide.

I think with DSLR/mirrorless cameras you can get good quality and wideness with a lot of different setups. A few years back it was pretty much only HVX/HPC/HMC+Xtreme.

You could get a 5d2 and a tokina 10-17mm, i have one with my 6d and got it as cheaper option to the canon. https://youtu.be/JKM_FFlUTjM

heres a shitty example but you can see on the fr smith down the handle rail, with the 10-17 you can be at around 13.5 and it gives the vig shown in my video on my canon 6d. A 5d2 would give the same results. Grab a smallHd monitor and you’re set with a nice setup 

I can really recommend the Meike 8mm f3.5 fisheye for aps-c sensors. It advertises as having a 200 degree coverage, and in my test it is definitely a little wider than the Samyang/Rokinon/Manybrand 8mm fisheye. Strangely it has the same lens hood and looks as the canon 8-15mm fisheye. In my experience it can be bought for cheaper than the manybrand 8mm fisheye. 

I recently bought the Fuji X-T3 with the Viltrox ef-fx2 focal reducer/speedbooster (0,71x) for use with my Meike 8mm ef mount. In 4k 50/60fps mode (1.18x additional crop on the aps-c sensor) you get vignette in the corners which makes for a super wide angle of view. I found it was hard to keep myself out of the frame when filming lines. Here's a test:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_T-zu5FcjcA

The vignette might be a little to much for my taste, but it can easily be cropped in post.