SkatePerception
twinskates

SONY VX1000 ARE DYING?

Just noticing all the vx footy out there looks bad. Footage kinda haze / foggy on all the vxs!

Look how crisp it looked back then:

Makes me wonder how long we may even have vx's around...

I think a lot of current "bad" looking vx footage looks bad due to  inappropriate shutter/ aperature combos, and people trying to get "golden colors". Just because you're using a vx1000 doesn't mean footage will instantly look good. The basic properties of exposure still apply. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, tunaboat said:

I think a lot of current "bad" looking vx footage looks bad due to  inappropriate shutter/ aperature combos, and people trying to get "golden colors". Just because you're using a vx1000 doesn't mean footage will instantly look good. The basic properties of exposure still apply. 

this 

11 hours ago, tunaboat said:

Definitely this and I think for fisheye footage some of it also has to do with more and more people choosing to skip on saving up for an mk1 and settling for cheaper glass. The only two other kids in town who I know film vx1 both use optekas with spacers. At least From my own experience, switching to the mk1 made a fairly noticeable difference in sharpness.

1 hour ago, mikeronzitti said:

Definitely this and I think for fisheye footage some of it also has to do with more and more people choosing to skip on saving up for an mk1 and settling for cheaper glass. The only two other kids in town who I know film vx1 both use optekas with spacers. At least From my own experience, switching to the mk1 made a fairly noticeable difference in sharpness.

this is true. The switch from opteka to a mark 1 is so much clearer. If you put a clip side by side you can tell the difference between them. The glass on the opteka isn't as nice. 

The biggest thing with the footage you see on youtube has to due with current youtube compression and the way the editor is exporting the video. I recently exported some vx footy at 4k60p at a high bitrate just to see how youtube would handle it and it for sure makes a huge difference. Youtube hates the native 480p res and compresses the shit out of it even further creating very pixelated artifact heavy images. Vx footage should always be exported at at least 720p60 for best youtube results in my opinion.

I always tell people to fucks with the MK1. I can't get down with any other inferior lens. Sell your kids, sell your wife and get a MK1. (that's one culprit of bad looking vx1 footy). 

People trying to hard to get golden colours can be another one, too.

On 30/4/2018 at 8:01 AM, tunaboat said:

Yeah people don't even bother making the wb off something white.

But just vxs looks bad in general nowadays compared to old footy, foggy lenses - chips getting older I guess

1 hour ago, twinskates said:

Yeah people don't even bother making the wb off something white.

Yeah I remember someone telling me to white balance off something blue before for good colours.