SkatePerception
Sign in to follow this  
TonyZ

Berkeley Montage (4:3 HD)

Clips I've filmed here n there on n off for a while. Feedback would be appreciated.

• Like 4

just going to list them out as i see them.

watch out for hands/boards in the shot. i tend to hold onto my shirt with my hand thats not filming

focus on the stability and then maybe zoom in post (use ease in ease out too) unless you get a zoom with a real servo. also warp stabilizer at a low setting like 1-5% can be a huge help.

noticed some autoexposure and auto white blance going on, make sure thats locked. also sounds like auto audio, do some tests at a skatepark to find what audio level you like

montage was fun though! good pacing and skating. could have cut some clips out here and there to make it shorter and the best of the best, but i know its hard to cut out the homies clips at first. but you have to do whats best for the edit sometimes. keep killing it!

• Like 2

Thanks for the comprehensive feedback. Big fan of your stuff.

1 - Thats a really good idea, gonna start doing that 

2 - Unfortunately warp stabiliser doesn't work when the sequence dimensions are different to that the imported files (I'm cropping to 4:3 in post). But yeah, definitely get lazy sometimes after filming for a bit and slack off on keeping the camera as steady as possible, and that's usually when they land it.

3 -  Should probably switch to manual white balance at all times, sometimes do get lazy. The autoexposure is probably from my lens, which doesn't have a constant aperture but usually doesn't flicker much. Lost that lens so will be investing in a better one soon. The audio levels I manually adjusted afterwards by ear, in camera I just have it set to the minimum, what about it made it sound auto? 

4 - Was definitely reluctant to use some of the clips, but had to feature some of the homies, definitely a big trade off.

Appreciate the feedback once again, will take into account!

• Like 1

You can still use warp stabilizer. there is a work around. you can either nest the clip then add warp stabilizer to the nest or make a new sequence an do it the same way. ever so often the new sequence way seems to work better for some reason but usually youd only need to use the nest feature.

- Great job with the edit! i agree with all previous notes made by Jordan. Id invest in a decent fluid head tripod and learn how to use it for all long lens if you can since most people cant afford a good servo zoom. as for fisheye with single tricks, try planning out a path for your camera movement. decide how you want the composition to look at the start of the trick and at the end. I've been filming for 15 years and i still practice camera movements in between tries and constantly watch back the last attempts to see if I nailed the movement the way I wanted. as for filming lines, try keeping your wrist stiff and use your whole arm to guid the camera. it helps keep the motion smooth. Keep at it!!!

• Like 2

What camera/lenses?

• Like 1

6 hours ago, sanur said:

What camera/lenses?

Olympus em5ii with the lensbaby 5.8mm fisheye, the panasonic kit lens that has the zoom rocker(which I somehow lost), a 20mm f1.7 and a 45mm f1.8, rode videomicro for the mic. Definitely not the best setup for filming skating, filming wasn't my primary purpose for it when I bought it, but it's ideal for keeping your kit compact and great as a travel camera. The in built stabiliser can be useful, and despite dynamic range and sharpness being quite weak in video mode, you can still squeeze some okay quality out of it. There are several similarly priced, but way better cameras for filming skating now.

On 5/27/2018 at 7:52 AM, Steak said:

You can still use warp stabilizer. there is a work around. you can either nest the clip then add warp stabilizer to the nest or make a new sequence an do it the same way. ever so often the new sequence way seems to work better for some reason but usually youd only need to use the nest feature.

- Great job with the edit! i agree with all previous notes made by Jordan. Id invest in a decent fluid head tripod and learn how to use it for all long lens if you can since most people cant afford a good servo zoom. as for fisheye with single tricks, try planning out a path for your camera movement. decide how you want the composition to look at the start of the trick and at the end. I've been filming for 15 years and i still practice camera movements in between tries and constantly watch back the last attempts to see if I nailed the movement the way I wanted. as for filming lines, try keeping your wrist stiff and use your whole arm to guid the camera. it helps keep the motion smooth. Keep at it!!!

I see, I'll be sure to try that with the warp stabiliser. Pre planning fisheye shots is definitely important, and I don't know if it's just me, but the one they land often ends up being the one thats filmed the worst. Tripod probably isn't feasible at this point but there's still a lot of room for improvement hand held wise. Really appreciate the feedback, thanks!!

• Like 1

the 4:3 looks so cool.  what are your sequence dimensions when editing and do you have to scale the footage up at all?

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, JonPlarr said:

the 4:3 looks so cool.  what are your sequence dimensions when editing and do you have to scale the footage up at all?

Nope, no need to scale the footage up. My camera is 1080 60p and my sequence dimensions are 1440 x 1080 30p (essentially 1080p with the edges chopped off so the aspect ratio is 4:3). Just have to be a little careful when filming to make sure that the skater isn't on the very edge of the frame, though I've rarely had major issues and you can always adjust the frame in premiere if you did mess up. The vig on my fisheye flares quite bad so I do use an overlay, but the overlay is virtually identical in size/shape to the original vig, it's just there to mask the flaring.

• Like 1