SkatePerception

I have a VX1000J that's undergone a number of repairs, including service to the main board by VE with great results. It's been working fine, but day time footage, particularly when using the fisheye and especially when the sun directly hits the front element, looks very hazy. Lens flares aren't concise, rather they spread across the entire image and to some extent make it difficult to see what's happening in the image. My first suspicion is hazing in the lens.. when I first received this camera from Japan, the optics were unusable. I ordered a replacement VAP and switched the two successfully. The image is definitively sharper than before, but not very satisfactory. 

I also noticed some aberration around a subject wearing a white shirt on a sunny day. There's a slight bluish cast around the highlights. This occurred while not using the fisheye. My friend suggested a possible issue with the chips in the replacement VAP. 

Is it more likely this hazing and aberration is a result of pollution on the optical construction or possibly an issue with the CCDs? 

Also, would I experience any issues replacing the Japanese VAP with a known functional English VAP? 

Screen Shot 2018-06-05 at 8.17.29 PM.png

Screen Shot 2018-06-05 at 8.18.09 PM.png

You know, I've seen, and resolved that shadowbox effect 100 times and can't remember how. What your seeing is a convergence issue. It's not the Prism Block (CCD's), or the VAP though. To answer your question, yes the VAP is interchangeable between the Japanese and the English versions.  The haziness is growth inside the lens. They all have it to some degree. If the lens is disassembled some of it can be cleaned but there are a couple of elements that can't be reached.

Kerry if you recall that process, let me know. I may be sending this thing back to you before too long. I'm getting wrapped up in a bunch of medium format equipment at the moment but will need to have this camera serviced before too long. Thanks again for prompt attention!

Whenever you're ready. When did it appear? When you replaced the VAP, did you replace lens and all or just the VAP?

I suppose it's been apparent since the initial repair, and hadn't thought much about it until seeing how bad my footage looked compared to others. When I did the repair, I replaced the entire front assembly, VAP and optical construction. Shining light into the lens, it doesn't appear to be terribly hazy - not any more than any other camera at least, but the footage would make it seem otherwise.

If you look in the lens and it looks fine, but your footage is hazy, the contamination is farther in and often in the one lens element that can't be accessed for cleaning or replacement.