SkatePerception
tomicardenas

Tapeless VX1000 recording

Whats up guys, i was wondering if someone has tried using the vx without tapes... like, ive seen this guy on youtube who uses a cf card recorder through firewire and manages to record without using tapes and with no loss of quality... im really interested in doing the same thing, i really like tapes but what i dont like is the problems i usually get from the heads.. think about it, you can get rid of glitches and have a more reliable vx, the problem is cf card recorders are discontinued and the ones ive seen on amazon are around 500 bucks, i dont know if its worth it, but maybe  getting a used one for less will do, another thing that came to my mind is, and what about a composite recorder (which are like 60 bucks) and powering the recorder through an external usb charger? Its a lot of stuff, but you can manage to attach it to a belt or something i guess.. do you guys know if there is a difference in quality from recording firewire vs composite rca? Thanks! 

It is quite interesting. But it seems like way too much of a hassle then what it really should be. As far as quality diference between firewire and composite I am pretty sure firewire is the same as composite. They both are standard definition at 480i. 

Yeah its not an easy thing i know, but i live in Argentina, and we dont have a Kerry in our country haha, i can send it to him but its no an easy thing, we dont have service at all here, and thinking about it, for me at least it is worth it, if i lived in the US i wouldnt have a problem sending it to service every now and then, but if my heads fail living here, im screwed haha

I swear one of my mates bought a really cheap version of what that guy posted on Youtube - I know which vid you're off about.

I'll give him a bell and find out

On 2/15/2019 at 8:40 PM, pedromayn said:

I swear one of my mates bought a really cheap version of what that guy posted on Youtube - I know which vid you're off about.

I'll give him a bell and find out

Yes please!! Let me know, i couldnt find any alternatives

ive been doing hard research about the composite vs firewire capture... apparently firewire is a digital signal while svideo and rca are analogs... so firewire will not lose any quality, while analog signals will, please correct me if im wrong, still looking for a portable firewire capturing device!

For anyone interested, surprisingly datavideo dn60a recorder just reappeared on bh after years of being discontinued, it costs around 500 bucks tho... just bought a used sony mrc1k recorder, will let you know how it works when i get it

One of my friends uses one and I must say it looks slightly different, a bit more grainy. plus you have to attach the thing somewhere on the vx which is not convenient at all.

On 3/2/2019 at 8:29 AM, marc said:

One of my friends uses one and I must say it looks slightly different, a bit more grainy. plus you have to attach the thing somewhere on the vx which is not convenient at all.

idk if its more grainy or not, could be, weird though, because its just like recording with adobe premiere capture, but portable, i dont see any difference between footy from tape than firewire recorded, i will let you know once i get the device in about 2 weeks, it comes with a mounting bracket, its small, smaller than a led light, and lighter, but yeah, thats the only thing that is kind of a bummer for me

On 3/2/2019 at 8:29 AM, marc said:

could you show me something? or his channel

FireWire is legit the same if not better quality than what's going on the tape.

I have a CF recorder, the dn60 and roll it with my canon XL2, and sony VX9000.

It's exactly the same as recorded on tape, just that it tends to drop frames at times as I'm still figuring it out.

well so my mrc1k arrived, i used it for a couple of hours, and it works perfect, quality is super good, no dropped frames, no glitches, long battery life, drag and drop files on to my pc, i have nothing to complain about it so far... ill leave you this random clip that i just filmed with the device

note: this is a clip that has been compressed by Premiere AND Youtube, raw .avi clips are CRISP

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QB51SJ-0aA4

1 hour ago, tomicardenas said:

well so my mrc1k arrived, i used it for a couple of hours, and it works perfect, quality is super good, no dropped frames, no glitches, long battery life, drag and drop files on to my pc, i have nothing to complain about it so far... ill leave you this random clip that i just filmed with the device

note: this is a clip that has been compressed by Premiere AND Youtube, raw .avi clips are CRISP

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QB51SJ-0aA4

yea not bad at all. Still amazes me this works.

16 minutes ago, ParkerWGB said:

yea not bad at all. Still amazes me this works.

I thought the device was going to make it super heavy and unbalanced, but its actually really comfortable, at least for me, that im used to the eazy handle v2 with the cam plus the mic, cant believe im filming with my now digital vx haha, when i knew i had to get new heads, fix drum and eject mechanism, i immediately started to look for these kind of alternative which turned out to be super good, its funny this device exists since like 2005, i always dreamt of having something like this haha

6 hours ago, tomicardenas said:

I thought the device was going to make it super heavy and unbalanced, but its actually really comfortable, at least for me, that im used to the eazy handle v2 with the cam plus the mic, cant believe im filming with my now digital vx haha, when i knew i had to get new heads, fix drum and eject mechanism, i immediately started to look for these kind of alternative which turned out to be super good, its funny this device exists since like 2005, i always dreamt of having something like this haha

could you film a setup guide? and are you using avi because you’re on windows?

23 hours ago, tomicardenas said:

Yea its like kinda unheard of.. When I originally saw this thread I was like no way this can be real.. And it looks and sounds like its doing a good job for you. Props!

On 4/11/2019 at 7:21 AM, jordanpalmerwiens said:

could you film a setup guide? and are you using avi because you’re on windows?

Its super easy, i can show you, if not, there is someone using a similar device, with the exact same procedure that he uploded on to youtube, called, tapeless vx1000 or something like that, well, so ive been using the device for a couple of days, and for now, so far so good, yes, i use AVI because im on windows, and thats the default file type that the mrc1k uses, this is another clip that i just made, entirely using the device...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FBW9XCDNbP8

On 4/15/2019 at 10:03 PM, tomicardenas said:

Its super easy, i can show you, if not, there is someone using a similar device, with the exact same procedure that he uploded on to youtube, called, tapeless vx1000 or something like that, well, so ive been using the device for a couple of days, and for now, so far so good, yes, i use AVI because im on windows, and thats the default file type that the mrc1k uses, this is another clip that i just made, entirely using the device...

I moreso meant how do you have it connected to the VX so that it would still be comfortable to film with. still being able to place it down, use a light, etc. maybe even just a photo would do.

4 hours ago, jordanpalmerwiens said:

I moreso meant how do you have it connected to the VX so that it would still be comfortable to film with. still being able to place it down, use a light, etc. maybe even just a photo would do.

Oh, sorry, my bad, the device comes with a mounting bracket, it sits on the handle hotshoe, you can do everything without a problem, i was afraid it would be kinda uncomfortable, but nah, if you want to use a light maybe you can attach the device to a belt or something like that, or use the light handheld hahaha, its not a problem for me because i dont usually film at night, but i would just carry the light in my hand i guess...

4 hours ago, jordanpalmerwiens said:

C23DC62B-65D1-4F14-9C53-5E13DD703351.jpeg

• Like 2

On 4/17/2019 at 9:19 PM, tomicardenas said:

C23DC62B-65D1-4F14-9C53-5E13DD703351.jpeg

damn crazy looking contraption. 

On 4/21/2019 at 10:06 AM, ParkerWGB said:

damn crazy looking contraption. 

Blasphemy almost! DEVILS WORK!

For real, this is exciting and interesting.

I kind of like working with tapes as this point, but I have no hate for this. 

• Like 1

On 4/22/2019 at 12:27 PM, TuneBomb said:

Blasphemy almost! DEVILS WORK!

For real, this is exciting and interesting.

I kind of like working with tapes as this point, but I have no hate for this. 

Dude for real. I don't mind tapes still but this also is crazy

i just got a dn60 off ebay and it just arrived to my house. i've had a vx1000 in my closet for awhile and i'm finally about to get to use it often. wondering if i shouldve found one of the sony options but i'll post test clips asap. anyone have any gripes of the datavideo compared to the sony option?