SkatePerception
brgmmb

vx1000 footage upscale to 720p

Hey, starting a new thread because digging through years-old threads on the subject is maddening and most the relevant software has long since changed. 

I'm a FCPx user, but interested in the process of upscaling SD vx footage in Premiere Pro/FCPx/Compressor/etc... whatever will make it work. 

I'm including an example of a crispy 720p vx upload as well as one of my own if you want to see the difference I'm talking about, although I'm sure you know what I mean if you're here. 

https://youtu.be/A-bM40TMzNQ (my footage)

https://youtu.be/V5Cq59_GQn4 (crispy example)

My question is essentially how to achieve the 720p vx footage. Methods I've tried include:

1) creating a project in native SD dimensions (NTSC for me - so 640x480) and exporting as 960x720 (to preserve aspect ratio)

2) creating a custom project with 960x720 (rec.601 audio and 29.97 frame rate) and exporting that

3) taking a native 640x480 project, exporting natively, and then upscaling with Compressor/Media Encoder

If you have any experience doing this and maybe I'm missing something obvious, I'd sure love the help. 

My workflow is to work native SD, export native, and then compress in Handbrake at 720. I make videos over a longer timeline and may not be doing things right, but that's my approach.

• Like 1

I usually make a new project with custom settings 1440 x 1080, 50P and then just throw the vx footage on there, looks even crispier than the Lakai example you put, here's some of my footage:

• Like 2

4 hours ago, ziggys91 said:

I usually make a new project with custom settings 1440 x 1080, 50P and then just throw the vx footage on there, looks even crispier than the Lakai example you put, here's some of my footage:

Wow. This tops it. This is def the best quality I have ever seen on a vx.

15 hours ago, ziggys91 said:

Pretty nice VX quality. Do you also color correct?

3 hours ago, LZC said:

Pretty nice VX quality. Do you also color correct?

nah, this is straight from the camera

On 3/13/2019 at 7:55 AM, ziggys91 said:

Your footage looks great! Why 50P though? Native vx is 29.97 so I would imagine you'd either keep that frame rate or maybe do 60? But I don't understand 50. I tried creating a project with your exact settings last night and it was essentially playing everything back in slow motion. 

Planning on trying again with 1440x1080 and 29.97 frame rate tonight. 

On 3/13/2019 at 5:22 AM, TuneBomb said:

My workflow is to work native SD, export native, and then compress in Handbrake at 720. I make videos over a longer timeline and may not be doing things right, but that's my approach.

This is what makes the most sense to me. I just didn't know if there was a difference between working on 1) native timeline, native export, then conversion vs 2) custom timeline, custom export. The difference could honestly be negligible... I don't have enough experience with compression. You have any footage online for an example?

17 hours ago, brgmmb said:

Your footage looks great! Why 50P though? Native vx is 29.97 so I would imagine you'd either keep that frame rate or maybe do 60? But I don't understand 50. I tried creating a project with your exact settings last night and it was essentially playing everything back in slow motion. 

I guess he is using a PAL VX shooting 50i so you can export 25p or 50p for a "smoother" look.

And regarding the upscale topic, I usually set my timeline to the exact same setting that the source footages, so I don't have to render anything to playback.

Then I export to 1478x1080 to keep the pixel aspect ratio.

Or sometime I export to 1920x1080 with black bars...

On 3/14/2019 at 4:49 PM, brgmmb said:

thanks, it's a pal vx, so 50i instead of 60i yea