SkatePerception
Sign in to follow this  
LZC

VHS Fisheye Focus

Whatup SP,

I've been shooting a little VHS lately and have two cameras. I mounted an opteka on one that looks pretty dope, but on the other camera when I mount the fisheye, I can't get it to anywhere near correct focus. Any reason why this certain VHS won't focus with the fisheye on and the other one seems to have no problem? 

Thanks- Leif

Hey Videoelectronics.

They are not the same camera. Both Panasonic. The one that doesn't focus fisheye is a Piezo Flying Erase Head AF VHS Reporter, I believe it's AG-170 with 54mm thread. Omnimovie PV-960 with a 55mm thread runs and focuses the fisheye greatly. The one that doesn't focus fisheye just has a better handle and the lens to attach the fisheye is a bit lower on the camera, that is why I would prefer to use that one for fish if possible. Any advice is appreciated. Thanks! 

I remember those actually. The AG has a master/slave lens configuration that had to be aligned manually for a back focus procedure. If the back focus is correct without the lens then that's not the problem. The only other thing that can cause what you're seeing is an incompatibility with the lens for some reason. Are you using an adapter to mount the lens? Maybe the lens is sitting too far out from the cam?

HI VE,

I will look into back focus, I have never done that before, but looks like I open the iris and then manual focus on something of distance, correct? The camera in question is actually AG-180 if it makes any difference. I am attaching an Opteka screw so I am using step up from 54/55mm camera lens thread to 58 mm (Opteka fish thread size). The AG has had no issues with long lens focus. I thought the fish sitting too far may have been the issue, but when I hold up the opteka or I also have an MK1 to the  Omnimovie it focuses through, but when I hold the Opteka or Mk1 to the AG it isn't focusing whatsoever. 

Hey man,

Interesting. Doesn't really add up. Sounds like you've already done this but without the lens on, zoom in on an object 12-15 ft away on auto focus. Then switch to manual focus and zoom back out. If it stays in focus, it's set correctly and I have no idea why the fisheye isn't working correctly. 

• Like 1