SkatePerception
minnird

Looking For Camera?

The perfect beginer setup for skate filmers, I wrote this to maybe lessen the amount of "what cam?" posts.

What You Need-

optura10- $380

Kenko .43x- $50

Tamrac Expedition 3(backpack)- $45

+$25 shipping(at the most) = $500 for a perfect biginer/novis setup(all from Adorama probably the post reliable camera and photo website there is)

I had the optura and the kenko before I got my trv900 so I can guaranty that it's a good setup, and I still use the tamrac backpack with my trv900; it's perfect for any camera the same size as the trv900 or smaller.

Footage-(all of it is optura20)

Long Lens

More Filming

Stairs

Alternative Lens

You may also Consider getting the Baby Death instead of the kenko, you would need two or three Spacers(two- no vignetting on the overscan three- slight vignetting on the overscan with none on the tv)

Need A Handle?

Ok here's a very vague distription of how to make a handle-

1.Go to Home Depot(or any place like it) and buy a piece of aluminium thick enough to hold a camera but thin enough to bend(when you actually go to home depot and see the stuff you'll know what to get) and 1/4" bolt(3/4"long) and a 1/4" wing nut. I've found that the best way to fasten the handle is to jam the wing nut on to the bolt(screw the wing nut untill the bolt get jammed in the wings.

2.Find a jar that will give the right amount of concave to go around back of the camera(for bending the aluminium).

3.Bend the aluminium around the jar to whatever looks good to you, it's best to keep it as low profile and close to the camera as possible for stabilty.

4.Now comes the hardest part, get your camera and your now bent aluminium and adjust the handle to a perfect fit, this is a little tough.

5.Once you've done your minor adjustments cut the bits that stick out too far to size using garden loppers(the cutter thingies with the 2-3ft long handles) and file the edges.

6.Find where you need to drill you hole and drill to size

7.Wrap the points that touch your camera with duct tape or electricle tape(electrical works best)

8.make a nice grip(I used a viper scooter handle stuffed with doll and bear stuffing), fasten it with what I desribed earlyer and it should look like this(in the pics you can see how to put the wing nut on)-

handle.jpgtrvsetup2.jpg

trvsetup.jpg

I think that from the pictures and if you just try to follow the instructions you'll understand it once you're actually doing it your self.

If you have any more questions feel free to ask and I will help you out, if I can.

• Like 1

if you have yer handle, how can you make sure yer cam isn't able to spin around it's own axxle, because it's only attached with one screw, sorry, i'm relatively new to this so i know jack shit bout it, I'm sorry...

well u make it tight, u dont make it with a long 1inch screw so its too long to make the camera stay on the base of the handle. its good to get a 1/4in. screw that fits the base of the cam b/c if u get a 1/4in. the width of the aluminum or metal handle part will minus it to like 1/8in. and u can make it tight that way. or if u can get the screw from a tripod mount that works best and itll make it tight enough so it doesnt swivel around the handle, that might not make sense but maybe itll help u out a little

Yeah the bescor 20/40 is awsome with small cams DONT GET THE 50/100 its the same size as your cam and just isnt right for small cams. as for the handle not being tight enough just tighten it all the way and its legit

the screw size i used was 1/2 inch. it works perfectly with my cam. once you put it through the aluminum, there's enough screw left to be screwed in nice and tight (and not all the way to the bottom of the hole).

if you read the topic I said that if you use a 3/4in and wing nut and jam the wing nut on to the bolt it works perfect look at the pictures, using the wing nut means you can get it really tight with just using your fingers and also take it off easy.

Yeah the bescor 20/40 is awsome with small cams DONT GET THE 50/100 its the same size as your cam and just isnt right for small cams. as for the handle not being tight enough just tighten it all the way and its legit

the 50/100 and the 20/40 are the same size. ive used em both

huh thats weird i read on a spec sheet that the 50/100 was 8x6 or 6x8 but i guess not well i guess go ahead if u want then

Aw. Is Bhphoto not carrying the Optura anymore? dokickflips doesnt seem to wanna sell me his optura or he was just playing a big joke. I dont know why.....

ya they discontinued it at BH, you can still get at other places, I changed the link to butterfly photo which is still the same price and they have like a 4 1/2 star rating.

Sweet I saw that. I got a refurbished Optura 20 for 299 off broadway photo. And dokickfips had just not replied to me cause he got some scratches on his camera. Sorry for being mad dokickflips. Definetly gonna rry making that handle.

Guest Dr. Dick

I have a sony that looks just like that one in the pics but i don't have a grip to hold it i just put my hand the opposite way throught the strap and it works fine. but i guess it would be nice if i had a handle so maybe i will try and figure out how to make my own. if i can i will post how.

Guest Dr. Dick

Well to get a handle you can just go to this site. Danscomp after you are there go to miscellanious on the left side of the screen. And on the screen steady shot camera mount comes up for 29.99. I am not sure if it works on all cameras but it looks like it might and hopefully should. Hopefully I can get one if I do I will let ya know how it goes.Danscomp

Guest Dr. Dick

Well I think I will either get a nice fisheye or an o.k. fisheye, handle, and some new batteries... I think I am more leanin' toward the latter and I will let ya know what happens.

i would sugest for your trv900 getting the kenko .43x and this- http://shop.store.yahoo.com/ecamerafilms/rarastdori52.html it works with the trv900 just like the babydeath(not as wide of course) as wide as possible with no vignetting, I tried it out when I still had it. I'll try to do a comparison with my friends .43x when i see him again

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller...u=232570&is=REG

Guest Dr. Dick

Ya I am gonna hopefully order that stuff tomorrow(if my mom ever gets around to it!!!) but no batteries, you know, there is a limit to money.