SkatePerception
RyanNowosielski

Gl Series Death - Fitting On A Vx2_00 Camera

alright, as some of you know , i've figured out how to very simply modify the Gl series lens' for the VX2_00. ive done it for a MK1 and a MK2 both made for the GL series and successfully put on the vx2000 and vx2100.

ok, here we go. the modifcation only takes place on the camera. the lens is the same, so it can be securely attached on a VX2100 one minute, and 2 seconds later, be securely attached to a GL1/2.

you start off by snipping the portions shown here. only the little bayonet ears that hold the lens. the bottom left one, you snip back about 2mm and the upper right is just a hair or two (cut small first, then go larger until it fits on there). this WILL NOT affect normal bayonet attachments made for the VX2_00 - other deaths and the OG lens hood will work exactly the same and with no compromise.

S4020210.jpg

then once you have that part cut, you will be ready to go. FIRST STEP - remove the little screw from the side of the bayonet piece on the Century lens. Thanks to AndrewTC4 for this piece of information about the screw. I flip the lens upside down, so that the yellow dots are at 6:00 position (bottom). then find the ear that should fit into the lower right hand corner (if looking at camera) and slide it on first at an angle. you will then rotate it clockwise (if looking at it again) until it is tight.

S4020211.jpg

then plop the one right above that one into place.

S4020212.jpg

then you will be able to push the third (left hand side) ear into place on the camera. once you have all 3 ears into place and the lens is right against the bayonet piece of the VX2_000. Then tighten the back piece of the bayonet mount down and then start tightening the outter lens part until it's tight. No need for the rubberband and is as secure as a MK1 intermediate on vx2_00

So here's the finished product : VX2000 or VX2100 with a GL series MK1. (it works exactly the same for a GL series MK2, i just didn't take the pictures.

S4020217.jpg

to take it off reverse the order to put it on. it's a little tricky at first, but once you do it once, you know exactly how to put it on and pull it out extremely fast. i can set this up in almost the same time as a normal death.

Here is some footage of it, to show the wideness.

Here's a video snippet of it (dont mind colors and whatnot, it was fast)... The sequence goes :

first scene - vx2000/GLmk1

second scene - gl2/GLmk1

third scene - vx2000/GLmk1

fourth scene - vx2000/GLmk1

http://www.gameroom.com/raydaskate/vx2kmk1...Med_Prog001.mov

the first four scenes were meant to be comparisons, but are not really accurate. However, the GL2/MK1 and VX2_00/GLMK1 are the same width/barrel. Both are wider/more distorted than that of the MK1int and way more width/barrel than the VX2_000 MK2. Hope this helps someone if you need it.

I also have some skating footage of it, so if anyone wants to see what it looks like in action, just aim me or i'll try to compress something and get it on here asap.

ps-sorry the pics are kinda lame, my digital camera has a dysfunction.

would it be possible to mod the lense so the gl2 bayo would fit the vx2100? the camera was far more expensive then the lense, so im worried about "snipping" my bayo mounts, im afraid..

and if you have any pic of the vx2100 with teh gl mark 2 that would be really awesome too...

thanks alot

would it be possible to do this except a vx1000mk1 for a gl2?

nah it wont be possible with the vx1k, the bayonette on the vx1k is too small

he meant a dsfewa00 the mki for vx1000 fitting on the canon gl2. rather than the canon lens on the vx2k. see?

i dont think it'd work.

i did this!,

it was so easy and worked so good

its liek second natere you get the lense on now...

thanks alot!!!

i did this!,

it was so easy and worked so good

its liek second natere you get the lense on now...

thanks alot!!!

glad to hear. i was beginning to wonder if this was totally useless to all else.

Is that your house? If it is its cool it looks like its in the woods.

it's my parent's house, but yes. i grew up there. i'm off at college now and don't get to go back as much as i'd like, but i love that place.

country boy :o

what do you do the snipping with?

you can do it with any knife and a lighter - heat up the knife tip to make it warm to push right through the plastic. or you can use wire cutters, or really anything sharp.. just be careful to take off a little at a time, you can always cut off more, but can't put it back on.

i'm actually in the process of finding out whether or not you even have to snip the bayonet... someone told me there might be a way to make the GL lenses fit without having to do any modification. i'm pretty sure that it's possible, but not 100% yet.

i'm actually in the process of finding out whether or not you even have to snip the bayonet... someone told me there might be a way to make the GL lenses fit without having to do any modification. i'm pretty sure that it's possible, but not 100% yet.

it can be done. i realized that after i modded mine. and it would still fit on a gl just the same. you'd have to trim back one tab on the ring quite a bit, then maybe a very small amount on another. then flip the lens upside down to install it. it would be even more secure than the original mod, being as there would be more contact between the lens and the camera. i about kicked myself after i realized that, since i cut my camera and the ring. so i cant go back and do it the other way

it can be done. i realized that after i modded mine. and it would still fit on a gl just the same

you're just talking about unscrewing it ? and switching which bayo ears are in which position ?

i want to be sure of this before i tell someone it's possible. i can't 100% test it right now because my vx2100 is already modded. i have a friend with a vx2000, but who the hell know where's he off to - hard as hell to get a hold of.

you must have replied while i was editing, tabs on the ring should be cut. i think there is actually more than one way to mod it, but the way i described seems like there would be more contact between the lens and the camera.

you must have replied while i was editing, tabs on the ring should be cut. i think there is actually more than one way to mod it, but the way i described seems like there would be more contact between the lens and the camera.

oh, i see what you're talking about . i thought you were saying that you didn't have to mod either the lens or the camera.

i don't mod both - i just snip two tiny pieces off the camera's bayonet - it's better than cutting anything on the death lens. nobody would ever notice the pieces missing on the VX as long as you take your time.

i still want to find out whether or not you can put a GLMK on to a VX2-00 without ANY modification simply by unscrewing the ring far enough and rearranging the ear-channel configuration. that'd make it extremely* simple, instead of just really damn simple that it's at now B) - it would scare less people at least....

i actually did get it to go on before i did any cutting, but i dont think it was secure enough to say that it'll fit without any modification

did you have the bayo screw off ?

yeah the screw was out, otherwise it wouldn't tighten down. i think it was just barely held on by two tabs

oh, you didn't get all 3 to slide in ? - like it was cock-eyed on the front of the camera ?

can u tell me where u bought u gl mk1 cuz ima buy one soon dont know where to get it

you have to order them directly from century... unless you're lucky enough to get one off ebay... they're rare though.