SkatePerception
Coalition Films

The Off Camera Flash Tutorial

ok tell me if i have this right.

1.I get to the spot, find my comp then meter ambiant in shutter priority mode my results are:

Shutter:1/180

Aperture:f/4

Iso-100 (L-1.0

2. I underexpose the aperture by 1-3 stop making my new ssettings:

Shuuter-1/180

Aperture-8

Iso-100 (L1.0)

I then switch to manual mode and manually focas the camera

3.Next i setup and meter my main flash which is ft away, so i do my calculations:

A=GN/D

A=120GN/14

A=8.57

The closest fstop is 8 so i round.

My main flash settings are as follows:

Power-1/1@ iso100

Distance-18ft

(normal zoom)

I then set my flash to the correct settings.

4. I then setup and meter for my rim light, the calculations are:

A=GN/D

A=120/11

A=10.9

The closeest aperture is 11 but i want to over expose the rim light so i leave it here (closer to subject)

My rim flash settings are as follows:

Power:1/1 @iso100

Distance:11ft

(normal zoom)

I then set my flash to the correct settings.

5. Take pictures

If someone could tell me if i did this right? I dont own a lightmeter but im possibly going to get one really soon.

Thanks for the awesome thread and whoever helps me!

sounds right bro go for it

Hello,

First post on here yay!

I am a photographer, been skating my whole 16 years of existence.

I am looking to get into off camera lighting. I have decided on trying to get my hands on two sunpak 383s.

No way I'm dropping the cash for pocket wizards. Would a radio wireless system or pc cords be suitable? Which is easier and the best value?

Thanks,

Jake

Hello,

First post on here yay!

I am a photographer, been skating my whole 16 years of existence.

I am looking to get into off camera lighting. I have decided on trying to get my hands on two sunpak 383s.

No way I'm dropping the cash for pocket wizards. Would a radio wireless system or pc cords be suitable? Which is easier and the best value?

Thanks,

Jake

wireless is the way to go unless you like having really long sync cords. you can get away wired when you are right next to the flash but for longer distances check out the lesser expensive cybersyncs or ebay slaves

check out these other threads for better info

http://forums.skateperception.com/index.php?showtopic=52674

http://forums.skateperception.com/index.php?showtopic=88053

Update:

I am now in the process of buying my lighting kit. Keep in mind I am very very limited in money with this setup.

I am getting two yongnuo 462s. Will the dial on the back be a real problem? It seems like a guessing game, but that doesn't bother me too much. It is better than not having flashes in my mind, especially when its all I can afford at the moment. If anybody has used them or has opinions on them please let me know.

Update:

I am now in the process of buying my lighting kit. Keep in mind I am very very limited in money with this setup.

I am getting two yongnuo 462s. Will the dial on the back be a real problem? It seems like a guessing game, but that doesn't bother me too much. It is better than not having flashes in my mind, especially when its all I can afford at the moment. If anybody has used them or has opinions on them please let me know.

My biggest sugestion would B to get the following, its pretty much what ive started off with, some different things to that ive learn arent a big deal

-2 vivi 285 (i got 3 for $100 on kijiji)

-2 ebay slaves/trig (worked awesome, now have cybersyncs)

-denecnt tripods for stands (ive been using $25 tripods that are alright quality, like them way better than my mannfrotto lightstands)

-cables are alot more reliable than hot shoe connections

im also still pretty basic with lights seeing as i just learned all this equtiin shit but i know my equiment pretty well haha.

is there a guide somewhere on the internet how to actually use the dial on the 285? i've read the instruction manual and i still don't have a fucking clue. which bit do you read first where do arrows point etcetc. atm i just stick it on 1/4 power and hope for the best.

Forget the auto modes unless you're shooting with it on-camera (if you're shooting digital, you shouldn't do this anyway). Just stick with manual settings for off-camera stuff. The dial on the side is basically an exposure calculator if you don't have a flash meter - it will tell you which f/stop to use based on your ISO, distance to subject and selected manual power setting. The dial on the front of the flash is the vari power thyristor control which lets you switch between different auto and manual power modes.

Forget the auto modes unless you're shooting with it on-camera (if you're shooting digital, you shouldn't do this anyway). Just stick with manual settings for off-camera stuff. The dial on the side is basically an exposure calculator if you don't have a flash meter - it will tell you which f/stop to use based on your ISO, distance to subject and selected manual power setting. The dial on the front of the flash is the vari power thyristor control which lets you switch between different auto and manual power modes.

thanks for the reply, i'm confused as to how to actually read the exposure calculator?

thanks for the reply, i'm confused as to how to actually read the exposure calculator?

285HV_16.jpg

hey sorry this photo sucks but it'll help me explain

1. first line up your iso with the white triangle (this should corespond with your cameras iso that you have set already)
  2. now set your flash power. id keep yours at 1/4, it has the fastest duration so ive heard. (i always just keep mine on it, unless i really need soem ambient) the small black triangle on the dial should point to 1/4
  3. now look at what your f/stop is at on your camera. if you want to underexpose your shot 1-3 stops do so.
  4. what ever you come to, look at the dial and see the f/stop you want to shot on and look at the ft distance closest to the f/stop number
  5. eyeball how far away your flash should go and that should do it

i think ive explained it the best i do it at the spot. :(

• Like 1

Thanks for asking this question, and good that someone finally answered it correctly on this site!

285HV_16.jpg

1. first line up your iso with the white triangle (this should corespond with your cameras iso that you have set already)
  2. now set your flash power. id keep yours at 1/4, it has the fastest duration so ive heard. (i always just keep mine on it, unless i really need soem ambient) the small black triangle on the dial should point to 1/4
  3. now look at what your f/stop is at on your camera. if you want to underexpose your shot 1-3 stops do so.
  4. what ever you come to, look at the dial and see the f/stop you want to shot on and look at the ft distance closest to the f/stop number

Also thank you for posting this, I honestly was about to post the same type of review haha...

You nailed it, Finally you answered this question perfectly, compared to the 30 times that ive seen someone ask the question and get no answer / or have someone answer it with "just read the dials".

also I may just be spacing out but the only thing i have had a problem with is whenever it has 2 lines (colors) on top of eachother, I guess i just dont understand why they did that.

Good Job

also I may just be spacing out but the only thing i have had a problem with is whenever it has 2 lines (colors) on top of eachother, I guess i just dont understand why they did that.

Good Job

thanks, and i think that they are to be used with the pre-set colors on the flash knob. idk i never used it. (like where you set the power, all those colors r on the knob and dial so they must have something to do with eachother)

just my guess... i just ignore them

285HV_16.jpg

Thanks dude, you're the man.