SkatePerception
Coalition Films

The Off Camera Flash Tutorial

That sounds right... if you metered all of your flashes at the skater to give you f8, and the camera was f8, and the film iso was either 100 or taken into account, your photo would have been fine. The background would have been very underexposed. It's also possible your flashes missed.

When i look at the slide it's straight black, but when i put it into this slide veiwer i have it doesnt look too bad. It is definalty still underexposed though. I might have just placed my flash a little further than it should have been cause i suck at judging distances. Thanks for your input though, ill try a reshoot next time its warm.

Jeff-Diagram.jpg

Jeff-FSBS-Long.jpg

Details: Nikon D70, 70-200 f2.8 VR, 2 Vivitar 285s, 1 SB-800, PDubs

Exposure: iso200, f6.3, 1/60, WB=Flash

Not a money shot, but I wouldn't be posting a money shot on here now would I, it would be going to the mags.

I don't understand what you mean when you say underexpose the ambient etc, like how do i actually do that

i shoot with a d70

Increase the shutter speed over the ambiant measured light level. If your camera and flashes give you 1/125 @ f8 after you've measured everything out.... shoot at 1/250 @ f8. This is really only useful during the day.

how do u set the aperatures on 285hv buy just selecting it on the dial and how do u know how far away to put flashes?

1. Meter ambient

2. Under-expose ambient, if you want to (f/8 becomes 11

3. set up main flash

4. meter and set main flash (f/8 is f/8)

5. set up rimlight flash

6. meter rimlight flash, and set it by overexposing it a stop (f/8 becomes 4)

7. Take photo

ok the flash powers you put down are confusing me. isnt the higher the aparture, the higher the power of the flash is, so to overpower ambient it would need to be a higher f-stop?

shouldn't it be like this:

1. Meter Ambient

2. Underexpose ambient (F/8 becomes F/11)

3. Place Main Flash

4. Meter and set main flash (F/11?)

5. Place Rim Flash

6. Meter and set rimlight flash (F/16?)

7. Set Camera to metered shutter speed and working aparture(1/250sec. F/11)

8. Take Picture

ok the flash powers you put down are confusing me. isnt the higher the aparture, the higher the power of the flash is, so to overpower ambient it would need to be a higher f-stop?

shouldn't it be like this:

1. Meter Ambient

2. Underexpose ambient (F/8 becomes F/11)

3. Place Main Flash

4. Meter and set main flash (F/11?)

5. Place Rim Flash

6. Meter and set rimlight flash (F/16?)

7. Set Camera to metered shutter speed and working aparture(1/250sec. F/11)

8. Take Picture

Freebird27's settings are correct. Higher aparture reading on the meter= more output from the flash. If you made the shot that Stylingmatt described you would be underexposing the ambient and main flash by a stop, and underexposing the rim by 3 stops.

Yeah matt just got the rim part backwards.

I like to look at it like a teeter totter of light intensities with your camera set to the apeture of the center, I used the arbitrary number of 5.6. It's a cool way to visulize it if you're having a hard time keeping the numbers straight.

underexposed-----------correctly exposed----------over exposed

ambient (f/4)-------------main flash(f/5.6)---------------rim(f/8)

Yeah matt just got the rim part backwards.

I like to look at it like a teeter totter of light intensities with your camera set to the apeture of the center, I used the arbitrary number of 5.6. It's a cool way to visulize it if you're having a hard time keeping the numbers straight.

underexposed-----------correctly exposed----------over exposed

ambient (f/4)-------------main flash(f/5.6)---------------rim(f/8)

pfft...more like f8, 1/500th.

why isnt this pinned

it schould be, it answers so many questions

im confused

when metering hte ambient light you should set the shutter speed with the one you are using, say ... 250. I meter it but the ambient reading at night comes out to be a number close to one... how do i know what to meter my flashes to in that case?

how do u set the aperatures on 285hv buy just selecting it on the dial and how do u know how far away to put flashes?

I'd like to know this aswell.

im confused

when metering hte ambient light you should set the shutter speed with the one you are using, say ... 250. I meter it but the ambient reading at night comes out to be a number close to one... how do i know what to meter my flashes to in that case?

No need to meter the ambient at night most of the time. Just set you shutter speed to your flash sync, and choose an aperture, then set your flashes to give you that apeture.

There are apeture numbers on the 285, and distance numbers right below them. Find the apeture needed and set your flash at the distance shown below.

gahhhhh, you dont set the aperature on any flash. If you have a flash meter you stand where the subject is point the meter at the flash and meter it...you than get a reading on the meter that tells you what aperature to set your camera to so that the picture would be properly exposed. If you dont have a flash meter, you can just look at the dial on the flash and it will tell you what aperature corresponds with what distance from the subject in feet.

gahhhhh, you dont set the aperature on any flash. If you have a flash meter you stand where the subject is point the meter at the flash and meter it...you than get a reading on the meter that tells you what aperature to set your camera to so that the picture would be properly exposed. If you dont have a flash meter, you can just look at the dial on the flash and it will tell you what aperature corresponds with what distance from the subject in feet.

Alright thanks man.

so can you tell me if this is right and if not tell mw what im doing wrong, I sut my 285 up to 10 feet and apreture f5.6, then my other flash to f5.6 at 6 feet. then i have my meter tell me 125 at f5.6 and under expose to 125 at f11

it dosent sound right but i dont understand

do you even no why your under exposing the ambient? .but seriously get a light meter

ok i think i understand tell me if this is right :

Meter ambient (lets say it is f5.6)

underexpose ambient (f8)

then you place your flashes so that they read(f8

set camera to (f8)

take picture

Is this correct, i cant understand exactly what to do if you dont ahve flash meters, and i just want to make sure im right.

anybody know if a Sigma Flash EF-500 DG will work ok with a nikon d70s if i buy a slave for it??

anybody know if a Sigma Flash EF-500 DG will work ok with a nikon d70s if i buy a slave for it??

any (96%-100%) will work as long as it has a hotshoe or some type of sync

ok i think i understand tell me if this is right :

Meter ambient (lets say it is f5.6)

underexpose ambient (f8)

then you place your flashes so that they read(f8

set camera to (f8)

take picture

Is this correct, i cant understand exactly what to do if you dont ahve flash meters, and i just want to make sure im right.

Thats exactly what I want to Know!