SkatePerception
kyle

Look Here Before Posting An Ebay Item!

There have been topics in here forever that ask if an item is a scam when most of them are obvious to the knowledged ebayer that they are or aren't. Here are a list of tips to tell if something is a scam or not.

Just because an auction has the item at a low price DOESN'T mean it's a scam!

I see so many people posting links to items with 3 days left and say things like "Wut, this dvx100 iz only at $120!, Can i get it at this price?" You must understand, the price of an item can be very low but can go up in the last day or even the last few hours, if it doesn't, it's probably not legit.

MOST LOW PRICES ARE TOO GOOD TO BE TRUE

This one is pretty self-explanatory, if you see an fx1 for $1000, it's a scam. If you see "BRAND NEW DVX" for $1400, its still too good to be true. Use good judgement, usually ebay has a lot more than just one person selling a product, so go see what they are normally running for, this will help you tell if it is too good to be true.

STOCK PHOTOS ARE SKETCHY!

If everything about the item looked a little bit "iffy" and on top of that they had stock photos, they are probably a scam. Be careful, some people will even take other peoples non-stock photos to make it look like they took the picture themselves. Search around to make sure this isn't happening. Request pictures e-mailed to you of the camcorder or whatever your buying, I'm sure they could get a picture somehow.

LOOK AT FEEDBACK

First, if somebody has 0 feedback, DON'T buy an item off them that is worth over $50 or so. Everybody has to start out at 0, so give them a chance, but I would NOT recommend buying something like a vx or even an optura off of somebody with 0 feedback. You probably worked hard for that money, so be patient and find a user with better feedback.

The next thing on feedback, If you are going to lay down 2 grand for a camcorder or something of this sort, look at their feedback in depth. Personally I wouldn't deal with someone under 97-98 percent, but maybe I'm just strict.

Not only look at this, but click on "Read Feedback Comments" and look at when they were last active, how many positive in the last month, 6 months, how many negative were in the past month, 6 months. Look at if the feedback is from buyers or sellers. Remember, somebody could buy tons of $1 items to get their feedback rating up just so they can post up a $2,000 item and screw you over on it.

ONLY USE PAYPAL

Seriously, I would only go with paypal on ebay. If you are selling, it's fine to accept checks but wait for them to clear before you send the item. As for buying, DO NOT USE WESTERN UNION, DO NOT USE ANY OTHER MONEY TRANSFER like that. Don't use checks or anything, paypal keeps the best records of what you are buying and you get a nice little receipt sent to prove that you paid for it, it's way easier for them to screw you over using another method.

DON'T DO BUSINESS OUTSIDE OF EBAY!

In this topic about an fx1 being a scam or not, I went to the item and saw this in the auction.... "If you want to buy for only 1000 $ please email us directly ( baleton@policeone.com ) " NO! DO NOT EMAIL HIM DIRECTLY. Tons of people scam by tricking people to do business outside of ebay, if he wanted a buy it now, he could've put one on the auction. Stick with business ON EBAY!

MAKE SURE YOU FIND OUT WHAT CONDITION THE ITEM IS IN

Some people get through all of these tips and forget this one. Find out if you are buying a broken vx or not, most the time it has a little table and it says the condition, if not, find out from the user.

DON'T BE AFRAID TO ASK QUESTIONS

Ask the user questions, he is selling an item and if it is over $100 I'm sure he will be more than happy to answer it, if the user won't answer your question and it is important, he is probably avoiding it and you shouldn't deal with him.

READ EVERYTHING

This one is obvious, but read everything. Heres what people will do. They could put in the title "brand new vx1000" and even have a nonstock picture and list information about the vx1000 but then along the way somewhere it will say "Note: this is only for the battery and not the whole camera" and sell it for $300 to some moron who didn't read everything. These things can happen!

LOOK AT HOW MANY DAYS THE AUCTION IS FOR

I see a lot of scams that are one day auctions. Now why would someone put up a one day listing? Trust me, most legit items are 7 day auctions. If its a 1 day auction, then its already sketchy and you shouldn't trust them.

IF YOU STILL AREN'T SURE, ASK US

Seriously, A lot of people on here, including me, can tell you if an auction is probably a scam or not. IM me at kylec4321 and I can tell you, or if you still can't figure it out from these tips, then post a topic and people will help you out.

Here is an example of what I am talking about. Someone asked if that was a scam. If they would have been knowledged of this, they would have seen at least 4 things:

A one day auction.

Wanting to do deals outside of ebay.

Stock photos.

And on top of that all, not paypal.

Also beware, people can hack into accounts, so feedback isn't everything, especially in the case of that fx1.

Someone please pin this.

thats really good man. seriously. thanks for cleaning up the streets.

wish i would have used this 2 months ago before losing $1000 on that damn "hacked ebay account with good feedback and business outside of ebay" scenario. lol.

im looking at GL1's on ebay and the price range of the ones ive been thinking about bidding on is between $300-$600. think thats a legit and sensible price. oh yeah and the auctions mention nothing of malfunctions.

also, unless the ebay seller has buyer protection paypal will refund you up to 200$ if you don't recieve your item. this happened to me becuase i bought an item for 330$, the buyer deleted his ebay account and canceled his credit card days after the payment was sent. i filed a claim and recieved 200$ back from paypal and lost the other 130$ to the guy. moral of the story is, unless the buy has "buyer protection" don't buy anythign over 200$ or else you run the chance of loosing a lot of money.

i got scammed on ebay :P and the thing is it was soo legit, everything looked as, he had 100% feedback, he was selling it from his girlfriens account and he gave me his cell number and now he is trying to play tricks on me saying that he doesnt know anything about selling a camera or never did, even though i was talking to him from that same number a week before. gettin the fbi on this fag

recently, whenever i buy an item off ebay, i get an email, from like a random person saying its the guy who is selling the thing that i just bidded on, he tells me to send him my best offer and he'll see if its good enough

guys a scam, look out for fake emails, make sure its from ebay, not "ebay member" or whatever.

DON'T DO DEALS THAT AREN'T ON EBAY.

if someone really wanted to offer you a special deal, make sure they post it as a "buy it now" on ebay at an agreed time for you and him/her. thats what i did for a vx21

got it for 1200, works perfect.

this way, if the guy scams u, or the product isnt right, you can file a dispute on paypal/ebay and get ur money back!

Dont ship to Nigeria. Thats total bull shit. Dont end your offer early for a RIDICULOUS offer. This has been happening lately. People will post an item on ebay, they will get an email from a fellow ebayer and it will say something like (for say a mk2 with a price of $500 well say) "Hey there! I saw your item the Century Optics mark 2 fisheye and I was wondering if you could end the bidding and sell it to me for $1000?" Thats bull. Youll get a email a few days later saying "Hi, I was wondering if you could ship it to my friend in Nigeria? I will pay you when they receive the item." Dont fall for it!!!

[quote name='sk8filmer' post='994275' date='Feb 27 2006, 07:11 PM']im looking at GL1's on ebay and the price range of the ones ive been thinking about bidding on is between $300-$600. think thats a legit and sensible price. oh yeah and the auctions mention nothing of malfunctions.[/quote]
Yah its legit but they usually end around $800-900 or lower if your lucky

yea this helped, i was going to buy a baby death from this guy for 125 that was the end price but my mom said since he had 0 feedback that it wouldnt work. Then a week letter this guy with perfect feedback and everything, so i bought it 216 SHIPPED. got it a week ago and it was so mint. And i love it

[quote name='skateboardwheel' post='994207' date='Feb 27 2006, 05:40 PM']wish i would have used this 2 months ago before losing $1000 on that damn "hacked ebay account with good feedback and business outside of ebay" scenario. lol.[/quote]
omg.bro that sucks so bad.what did you do.

yea I recently posted my gl2 on ebay and im getting all these dudes who keep saying their friend in nigeria bullshit im only going to do shit over ebay thanks for this thread