SkatePerception
jordan

Official Flash/strobe Thread

Post any questions/comments/or useful information about flashes. There were too many of the same questions before so this is where you can ask your questions without having people getting pissed at you.

• Like 2

*waits for the boob jokes to start*.

Maybe do a rundown of the popular flashes and post the links to the off camera flash tutorials and stuff?

i'm a fan of the vivi 285's, i don't care if they get smashed cause they're only $40 on ebay, and you can shoot them at full power.

WHEN GOING TO SUNPAK 555 TO POCKET WIZARD YOU GET A MINIPHONE TO HOUSEHOLD CABLE

Whew screaming makes me tired, that should be the last time that's repeated.

i totally agree with you, bravo Jordan, bravo!

Now all we need is a D50 thread.

Yeah right. D50 thread...

fairly sure this has been done before but...

For beginners, you should try and get some 'hand-me-downs' from your family, or just go browse the second-hand shops. get whatever you can, but dont spend over 100$.

after a while you'll get over those flashes being really automatic and anoying.

you'll want to goto the camera shop and buy a flash....

BUT STOP RIGHT THERE!

you didnt check the OFFICIAL FLASH THREAD for info did you?

tsk tsk tsk!

after you feel shame read on....

Intermediate PhotoG's - Vivitar 285/285HV are really good manual flashes and come at a fraction of the cost of other hotshoe mount flashes out there.

after you've passed that stage your a total confident photoG and have more than a boner for b&w photos than ever before, you'll want to be looking at the next part...

Awesome PHOTOG's - Sunpak 555, 544, 522 and 622 are all amazing handlemount flashes with manual and auto settings. also, the euro have been using of late, the metz handlemounts. 45cl-1,(-2,-3, -4).

theres also the bulb flashes/strobes. Quantum make one dubbed the Qflash, and sunpak make one called the Sunpak 120j.

If your going for anything after beginners level, you might wanna look into buying some slaves, whether they be optical or radio. http://www.ebay.com.au is a good place to look...

i would love feedback and comment on this little flash review.

all input is welcome too.

peace,

Tim.

fairly sure this has been done before but...

For beginners, you should try and get some 'hand-me-downs' from your family, or just go browse the second-hand shops. get whatever you can, but dont spend over 100$.

after a while you'll get over those flashes being really automatic and anoying.

you'll want to goto the camera shop and buy a flash....

BUT STOP RIGHT THERE!

you didnt check the OFFICIAL FLASH THREAD for info did you?

tsk tsk tsk!

after you feel shame read on....

Intermediate PhotoG's - Vivitar 285/285HV are really good manual flashes and come at a fraction of the cost of other hotshoe mount flashes out there.

after you've passed that stage your a total confident photoG and have more than a boner for b&w photos than ever before, you'll want to be looking at the next part...

Awesome PHOTOG's - Sunpak 555, 544, 522 and 622 are all amazing handlemount flashes with manual and auto settings. also, the euro have been using of late, the metz handlemounts. 45cl-1,(-2,-3, -4).

theres also the bulb flashes/strobes. Quantum make one dubbed the Qflash, and sunpak make one called the Sunpak 120j.

If your going for anything after beginners level, you might wanna look into buying some slaves, whether they be optical or radio. http://www.ebay.com.au is a good place to look...

i would love feedback and comment on this little flash review.

all input is welcome too.

peace,

Tim.

You deserve a point.

You deserve a point.

im sure he did it for the points? mods arnt blind, if someone deserves a point they will probably get it. even though it doesnt matter that much, or at all.

hey i said INTERMEDIATE steve!

i meant that people that dont want/ dont have money for/ dont have space for handle mounts!

i was using 2 285's til just last weekend!

i did my fair share of vivitar time!

Here are a few bits of advice I have:

1) DON'T buy a sunpak 555 if what you really need is an on camera flash. Just don't, please. Buy a Vivitar something-or-other.

2) Wein is complete trash. I bought a safe-sync hotshoe-hotshoe/pc and the fucking sync on the bottom of the wein only lines up when placed backwards on my hotshoe. This can be quite a problem when I have the FUCKIN PC CORD DIGGING INTO MY FOREHEAD.

3) Do not buy digital-specific optical slaves. They are calibrated to work with digital auoflashes that fire a few preflashes before the picture is taken. This means it will only fire when you are in automode using ttl flash. It will not fire using any type of flash other than ttl. If you want optical slaves, buy a regular one, not the "digital" kind.

4) Don't spend more than you need. If you are looking for a simple system for a home studio, maybe just buy a couple of vivitars, a sync cord and an optical slave. Don't go out and buy pocket wizards and metz handlemounts immediately cause you need to have a prime flash set-up should you be in a situation where you need them. Trust me, if you are just starting, you'll never need this shit.

5) Don't underestimate TTL flash. It can work wonders ;)

6) eBay slaves work despite criticism by some dorks on this website.

7) Nowadays with digital, a nice expensive light meter seems a lil' pointless and a waste of hard earned cash. Just take a couple test shots, adjust settings, fire a few more. Yea you don't look as cool, but what the fuck I'd rather not spend $300 if I don't have to. And even when shooting film, I think a light meter is almost as unnecessary. Your photography shouldn't rely on a little machine that tells you what to change your camera to. It's all about guessing, checking, and learning from what you've done. HOWEVER if you are working in a studio with all your little umbrellas and softboxes and octoboxes, it does come in handy when you don't necessarily know the light loss from the diffusion methods. But hey, it's just a tool. Don't base everything on it.

8) Rear-Curtain Sync is tight ass shit.

9) Any flash can be a use to you, you just have to find ways to overcome it's limits. Just cause it's not a vivitar 285 or a sunpak 555 doesn't mean it wont fire!

10) Tums containers make great diffusers when cut correctly. So do socks, tissue paper, and index cards. Read about it. Fred Miranda's got some great shit on diffusion.

i'm a fan of the vivi 285's, i don't care if they get smashed cause they're only $40 on ebay, and you can shoot them at full power.

I agree with you. I got 3x vivitar 285hv.

VIVITAR 285 SETTINGS

this is what i used to wonder about so ill kick some knowledge...

A. set to M for manual on dial

B.set iso

C. set power, i use 1/16 usually... which sometimes seems more than enough

D look at your distance from your subject, which corresponds to your f-stop to use

E.set front part to norm, wide, or tele... depening on distance to subject

ill get some pics later that show in detail

VIVITAR 285 SETTINGS

this is what i used to wonder about so ill kick some knowledge...

A. set to M for manual on dial

B.set iso

C. set power, i use 1/16 usually... which sometimes seems more than enough

D look at your distance from your subject, which corresponds to your f-stop to use

E.set front part to norm, wide, or tele... depening on distance to subject

ill get some pics later that show in detail

also there has 1/8 on the vivitar 285's

If you're looking for cords- look no further than Paramount Cords-

Jordan, i don't know how much you spent on that mess of cords/adapters, but they've got a killer cord that does just that, for $30 something. I love mine to death.

Second Curtain set us up the bomp. I don't care what anybody says- a man who can work 2nd curtain into skating is a good man.

Thank you Steve for pointing out what everybody (even I) has asked at one point about the 555!

Jordan, i don't know how much you spent on that mess of cords/adapters, but they've got a killer cord that does just that, for $30 something. I love mine to death.

That picture i got from a website, i dont have any cords ;) . But where did you get yours, at that link? Cause it says it says its digital but i shoot film...

What's the deal with the built in slave feature when using a D70 with sb600's? Is it useful or just a sales gimmick?

cords is cords is cords. If it will connect your stuff, it will work. Paramount makes cords for OOOOOOLD cameras from back in the day, all the way up to the newest shit on the market.