SkatePerception
jordan

Official Flash/strobe Thread

What's the deal with the built in slave feature when using a D70 with sb600's? Is it useful or just a sales gimmick?

yeah, I was actually wondering the same thing a couple days ago

cords is cords is cords.  If it will connect your stuff, it will work.  Paramount makes cords for OOOOOOLD cameras from back in the day, all the way up to the newest shit on the market.

Alright thanks just wanted to be sure since i know hardly anything about sync cords.

What's the deal with the built in slave feature when using a D70 with sb600's? Is it useful or just a sales gimmick?

The D70 commander mode provides wireless TTL with the SB600 and SB800 flashes, except there is a second or two delay between when you press the shutter and when it actually fires, so it's not that useful for skating.

The D70 commander mode provides wireless TTL with the SB600 and SB800 flashes, except there is a second or two delay between when you press the shutter and when it actually fires, so it's not that useful for skating.

So, its like using wireless slaves without the slaves, and with a long delay? If the delay is like 2 seconds then wouldnt you need to use a shutterspeed longer then two seconds in order for it to have an effect?

YOU CAN MAKE YOUR OWN CABLES IF YOU SHOP AT RADIO SHACK/THE SOURCE/EBAY

That just needed to be noted. You can buy cheap cables and hack them up and solder/splice them together and either heat shrink wrap them or electrical tape them.

I made a Miniphone to Vivitar cable for my PWs for a total of $2.

I also made a Pre-Release Cable for connecting my D2h to my PWs... usually costs well over $100 and I spent $20 to make it. It's all about saving money.

P.S... many professional photographers use Vivitar 285s despite what you may think. If you've ever seen photos of liquids being poured, many of them are shot in studios with banks of Vivitar 285s wired together on 1/16th power. I don't see going from 285s to 555s as a step up but a step sideways. You'd be getting Quantums, Profotos or Elinchromes if you were stepping up.

So, its like using wireless slaves without the slaves, and with a long delay? If the delay is like 2 seconds then wouldnt you need to use a shutterspeed longer then two seconds in order for it to have an effect?

No, it's like point and shoot delay, when you press the shutter, there is a slight delay before the actual picture is taken.

No, it's like point and shoot delay, when you press the shutter, there is a slight delay before the actual picture is taken.

ohhhh, I got it now, thanks

Alright, so I just bought a vivi 285 off eBay, and I'm looking at the ebay slaves, and I'm trying to figure out what I'd need.

1 vivi 285HV, possibly another coming soon, and one Nikon SB-800.

I want the 2 285s off cam, and the sb800 on cam if possible, if not, all of them off cam. Even if it was just the 285s off cam and no on cam, that'd be cool too.

I think that the 285s dont have hot shoes, so I would need to buy sync cords to work with THESE ebay slaves, correct? If so, can anybody tell me the correct ones?

All I would need is my flashes, those slaves, and sync cords, which I'm not sure on, right? Unless I can use the hot shoe adapters everybody is talking about, which I dont know if I can considering the 285s dont have hotshoes, or do they?

Sorry, I'm new to multiple flashes and sync cords, I've been using my sb800 off cam with the su-4 mode the whole time...(I know, I wasted money on it).

I'll love whoever helps me forever :(

How do you like the sb-800 off-camera system?

The response isn't as quick as I'd like, but its not bad. For my first off cam flash, I really like it, but usually people like things when they first get them :( .

The adjustability is alright too.

I think that the 285s dont have hot shoes, so I would need to buy sync cords to work with THESE ebay slaves, correct? If so, can anybody tell me the correct ones?

All I would need is my flashes, those slaves, and sync cords, which I'm not sure on, right? Unless I can use the hot shoe adapters everybody is talking about, which I dont know if I can considering the 285s dont have hotshoes, or do they?

I'll love whoever helps me forever :(

I nead a lover so here

i just got some of those of him recently so here is what you do. Buy one of those buy it now auctions, email him for the price of that with another reciever and 2 hot shoe adapters. then bay the total price of all that on the auction, and tell him that you did and what you want.

Im asuming you want 2 recievers because you said you want 2 off camera flashes. And a hot shoe is the little thing on the bottom of a flash that connects to the camera. All the cables are included to connect the transmitter to your camera, and if you order the two hotshoe adapters(they go on the bottom of your flash) they connect a reciever to a flash (wires for that are included)

so

1 transmitter

2 recievers

2 hotshoe adapters

and you will be fine, all cables are there.

I nead a lover so here

i just got some of those of him recently so here is what you do. Buy one of those buy it now auctions, email him for the price of that with another reciever and 2 hot shoe adapters. then bay the total price of all that on the auction, and tell him that you did and what you want.

Im asuming you want 2 recievers because you said you want 2 off camera flashes. And a hot shoe is the little thing on the bottom of a flash that connects to the camera. All the cables are included to connect the transmitter to your camera, and if you order the two hotshoe adapters(they go on the bottom of your flash) they connect a reciever to a flash (wires for that are included)

so

1 transmitter

2 recievers

2 hotshoe adapters

and you will be fine, all cables are there.

I<3you.

Thanks for the help bro.

what about Mecablitz 54 MZ-4 / 54 MZ-4i are they any good?

does anyone have one or heard anything about them

• Like 1

they are nice, but unafforable, you're better of with some vivi's or sunpak 555's.

I might pickin it up for $100. Should I get it???

also there has 1/8 on the vivitar 285's

I dont have a 1/8th on mine? :(

I dont have a 1/8th on mine? :(

i know there is nothin about 1/8 on 285's but you can find out about it.

so here is my story!

if i want shoot iso 100 with 12 feet away. i am set up with m on vp and then dial with full 1/2,1/4,1/8, and 1/16. so here is math.

full is f11

1/2 is f8

1/4 is f5.6

1/8 is f2.8

1/16 is f2

so my story is end! :D

I'm a big fan of nikon flashes. Compact as shit but pack a big punch with short flash durations. My kinda equipment. Bit exspensive though...

I'm a big fan of nikon flashes. Compact as shit but pack a big punch with short flash durations. My kinda equipment. Bit exspensive though...

I agree w/ him 100%, my nikon sb-26 is soo good. it was 99 oh keh...but you can deffinately find it cheaper on ebay.

does anyone have one or heard anything about them

i owned one for approximately 2 weeks.

it was nice, but simply had more than i needed, especially for what i was doing.

if youre shooting skateboarding theres no way in hell youre going to need everything it has. especially for 300.

on ebay it says thing like nikon ___ flash for f100, etc. But do nikon flashes work with non nikon cameras too, same with canon flashes?