SkatePerception
jordan

Official Flash/strobe Thread

can somone give me some info on the Blacks DZ-80 i just want to know if its any good ?

I can tell you it sucks because it's from Blacks... if it has any manual settings it MIGHT be of some use.

7) Nowadays with digital, a nice expensive light meter seems a lil' pointless and a waste of hard earned cash. Just take a couple test shots, adjust settings, fire a few more. Yea you don't look as cool, but what the fuck I'd rather not spend $300 if I don't have to. And even when shooting film, I think a light meter is almost as unnecessary. Your photography shouldn't rely on a little machine that tells you what to change your camera to. It's all about guessing, checking, and learning from what you've done. HOWEVER if you are working in a studio with all your little umbrellas and softboxes and octoboxes, it does come in handy when you don't necessarily know the light loss from the diffusion methods. But hey, it's just a tool. Don't base everything on it.

yea i well dont you hate it when you get a shitty roll of film because you had to guess your lighting conditions?

yea i well dont you hate it when you get a shitty roll of film because you had to guess your lighting conditions?

i have never ever have fucked up my film lighting, you just think more about your settings and everything.

7) Nowadays with digital, a nice expensive light meter seems a lil' pointless and a waste of hard earned cash. Just take a couple test shots, adjust settings, fire a few more. Yea you don't look as cool, but what the fuck I'd rather not spend $300 if I don't have to. And even when shooting film, I think a light meter is almost as unnecessary. Your photography shouldn't rely on a little machine that tells you what to change your camera to. It's all about guessing, checking, and learning from what you've done. HOWEVER if you are working in a studio with all your little umbrellas and softboxes and octoboxes, it does come in handy when you don't necessarily know the light loss from the diffusion methods. But hey, it's just a tool. Don't base everything on it.

Except for when you have one chance to get the money shot... you nail the money shot first time as the trick is only getting thrown down once... and bam, everything works... you then sell that photo for $400 as a cover, and you've already paid off that flash meter.

Does anybody here use wireless canon flashes?

I'm thinking about getting and 580ex and a 430ex, having the 430 on a tripod, and the 580 on camera, maybe on a bracket.

What's the advantage to using a bracket over using the flash on the hot shoe? I was thinking of just getting a straight bracket, which ones do you guys have?

I'm a big fan of nikon flashes. Compact as shit but pack a big punch with short flash durations. My kinda equipment. Bit exspensive though...

What nikon flashes do you use? I was looking at the SB-800 on ebay and was surprised to see it was 200-300 dollars. Had no clue.

Does anybody here use wireless canon flashes?

I have more money than knowledge/experience, so that's what i was looking at....

I HHHHHHAAAAAD to do the "quote" thing. Anyways- i was in your same spot like 8 months ago.... I had never shot skate, or never even wanted to for that matter. Buy after i realized that my full Canon EX flash system could be "used" to shoot my buddies skating, i thought i was the shit. And then i started to find its limitations, REALLY QUICK!

when you find the limits of something that you're NEW AT, its NOT a good thing.

so no- don't do it. Get some 285's and $20 Wein peanuts at least.

I HHHHHHAAAAAD to do the "quote" thing. Anyways- i was in your same spot like 8 months ago.... I had never shot skate, or never even wanted to for that matter. Buy after i realized that my full Canon EX flash system could be "used" to shoot my buddies skating, i thought i was the shit. And then i started to find its limitations, REALLY QUICK!

when you find the limits of something that you're NEW AT, its NOT a good thing.

so no- don't do it. Get some 285's and $20 Wein peanuts at least.

What limitations did you come to?

What nikon flashes do you use? I was looking at the SB-800 on ebay and was surprised to see it was 200-300 dollars. Had no clue.

yeh i have the sb 800, sb 50dx, and another random one. They are good, and the 800 is amazing for TTL shots.

What limitations did you come to?

the biggest things are limited angel of effectiveness due to the IR transmitters/recievers, and short range.

You have to remember, these flash's transmitting abilities rely on line-of-sight.

That's their main handicap.

Is the only difference between the sunpak 544 and 555 that the 555 is dedicated?

which means you'd have to buy all of this crazy gear to make use of the 555's special feature?

Is the only difference between the sunpak 544 and 555 that the 555 is dedicated?

which means you'd have to buy all of this crazy gear to make use of the 555's special feature?

the 544 also has a lower guide number at like iso100 I think its 150 at while the 544 at iso100 is 130.....I may be wrong about the numbers though.

im having a lil prob,

im using d50 with the as15 nikon adapter for a lil bit, with a 285hv

at night it seems to not be able to handle the speeds, say ss of 500 and it kinda delays... im getting some ebay slaves in a bit so that will pry help

im guessing the as15 is causing the delay

DSC_039255.jpg

im guessing the as15 is causing the delay

i'm guessing you shooting on auto, what ever is on the hotshoe doesn't matter.

Is the only difference between the sunpak 544 and 555 that the  555 is dedicated?

544 is gn 140, 555 is gn 160...the 555 has a different dial to show you the exposures...and I have heard that the 555 actually does have ttl. Ive also heard the 555 is excellent for sequences because you can stop it down to 1/64 power, but still have some power left. My sb-26 when stopped down to 1/64 needs to be pretty close to the subject or have a super open aperature. sb-26 is like gn 118. The 544 prob is decent for sequences as well(I dont if it can be stoppped down to 1/64 or now).

the 555 has a gn of 150.

on a seperate note....does anyone know if there are any other batteries for Qflash T2s other than the massive, and fucking expensive battery packs? I'm lookin to get a qflash, but i dont want to spend like...$500+ on a flash and a battery.

i'm guessing you shooting on auto, what ever is on the hotshoe doesn't matter.

nah man, i shoot manual 99 % of the time

i was using manny settings

i just have a couple of questions, the guide number stays the same on the sunpak 555 when you change it to like half power right? and what setting should it be on for calculating the aperture and stuff, the one that shows the aperture is when its on the blue dot, and its covered in manual mode. also what should i change when shooting with 400 speed film, are the distances doubled?]

thanks.

nah man, i shoot manual 99 % of the time

i was using manny settings

It looks like you're shooting with a fish eye, so you're not going to get full frame coverage unless you use a diffuser. If you're shooting at night, you shouldn't be shooting at 1/500 anyway. Expose it so the you get some ambient in there.

at night it seems to not be able to handle the speeds, say ss of 500 and it kinda delays...

The D50's max x-sync is 1/250.

The D50's max x-sync is 1/250.

wrong, 500 , look it up

im not talkin with the dedicated pop up flash